Conflicted Bulldogs limped to finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
WHAT should the Bulldogs do?

They have stars across the park, but rarely looked like premiership contenders in the second half of the season.

In James Graham, Aidan Tolman, Sam Kasiano, David Klemmer, Josh Jackson and Greg Eastwood they have a group of forwards who should be able to rumble over the top of anyone they like but too often they fail to establish that expected dominance.

They have talent in attack, but seem conflicted about what to do and how to do it. They look good when they play off the back of offloads, but usually opt to keep things tight. Too often after a break or in the attacking 20, it is a forward who carts the ball up, perhaps a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth.

Halfback Moses Mbye is a player of immense promise, but his lack of involvement hamstrung the team at the worst possible times.

Five-eighth Josh Reynolds tried hard, always, but is not the refined playmaking partner that Mbye needs. The Morris brothers do not get enough clean ball and the disconnect between Michael Lichaa and the rest of the spine seems enormous.

This is not meant to be an evisceration of the Bulldogs. They are still a tough, committed football side who are a finals calibre team — they stayed inside the top eight for every week of the season. There is great talent and experience in this squad. With one or two adjustments, perhaps they could be a premiership contender again. But the question is what adjustments can be made? They’re not broken, but they do need to be fixed.

THE STAR
James Graham was the Bulldogs’ best and was tireless in the middle of the field. But even his season was something of a microcosm of Canterbury’s identity struggles. If you need Graham to be a one-dimensional battering ram, he can do it and he can do it damn well — he was second in the league in terms of average run metres per game

But when the Bulldogs have fired in years past it’s often been on the back of Graham slotting in at first receiver, a role he played far less in 2016. For the first time in his Australian career, Graham did not record a try assist all season and had just two line break assists. His effort cannot ever be questioned, but the methods of his deployment can be

THEY SAID IT
“Des always has the wheels spinning,” said retiring winger Sam Perrett after the Bulldogs’ season was ended by the elimination final defeat to Penrith

“I’m sure he will be spending a lot of time in the off season on how we can do things differently and better next year.

“Working out how we can do better, because there are a lot of shattered boys here.”

WHO’S IN, WHO’S OUT?
GAINS: Raymond Faitala-Mariner (mid-season, Warriors), Asipeli Fine (mid-season, Wests Tigers), Lachlan Lewis (mid-season, Raiders), Lamar Liolevave (mid-season, Wests Tigers), Zac Woolford (Raiders), Josh Cleeland (Sharks).

LOSSES: Dane Chisholm (mid-season, Bradford), Shaun Lane (mid-season, Warriors), Lyndon McGrady (released), Pat O’Hanlon (retired), Dane Chisholm (mid-season, Bradford), Sam Perrett (retirement), Curtis Rona (rugby union).

2017 FORECAST
It’s hard to get a read on the Bulldogs for 2017.

An overhaul of the club’s playing style is needed, but it remains to be seen exactly how it will come about.

There appears to be little chemistry between the spine and the disconnect between Lichaa and his halves is rather large.

The skill and talent is there and coach Des Hasler is crazy enough to make it all work so the finals should still be the goal next season.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/su...7aad99b4b70c9be62260e42bb3&memtype=registered

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Hits the nail on the head pretty well. I was hoping that Lichaa would come good, but he is the biggest weak link in our side at the moment - he reminds me of George Gregan at the end of his career, couldn't pass off the ground from the ruck, he'd pick the ball up, pause, then pass and by then the defence was there to smash the receiver. That's lichaa, gave our forwards zero chance.

Cheers Des. You fuck.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just want to know where the real James Graham has gone.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Very accurate like most other summarys on our season

Now.its time for the club/coach to.do.something about it

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just want to know where the real James Graham has gone.
Put it down to poor support from his dummy half. Clubs know they have to shut him down, and Graham often gets the ball with little time to do anything but take the tackle. Unfortunately, Lichaa is taking aim, then loading the gun. Someone should tell him it's more effective if you load first.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"The star" JG, pfffftt please. This guy is a worse ball hog than Gallen, by a country mile.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Put it down to poor support from his dummy half. Clubs know they have to shut him down, and Graham often gets the ball with little time to do anything but take the tackle. Unfortunately, Lichaa is taking aim, then loading the gun. Someone should tell him it's more effective if you load first.
Agree. The hooker in the 20's Tramontana can actually get quickly into dummy half, and snap a pass straight off the ground to his supports. Guess Des does not want mistakes from dummy half so our hooker drops, picks, stands then passes. Meanwhile the defence is on top of the receiver cutting our potential to make any metres from dummy half

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who are these "stars across the park" they speak of? We have ONE star in the backs and that Bmoz and we have two maybe three in the forwards, being Klemm, Jacko and ball hog.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Who are these "stars across the park" they speak of? We have ONE star in the backs and that Bmoz and we have two maybe three in the forwards, being Klemm, Jacko and ball hog.
As the dust settles I have to say we failed this year and next year looking worse. Fk the Warriors now have a killer roster with a new coach putting us on shame.
Fk off CLEAL

RichoDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Deluded about Graham being our best he was rubbish - what about Jackson? Otherwise nothing we all don't know and have know for a couple of seasons - can Des really change? At least the drums are beating, the board can't simply ignore the overwhelming commentary.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Release everyone except Jackson, Kasiano, Klemmer and Reynolds and start again in my opinion. It's no surprise our best players are born and bred Bulldogs.

Reynolds cops it a lot, but think about the halves partners he's had in his career.... Keating, Hodkinson and Mbye aren't much to cry home to mum about. He needs to be allowed to play his natural style, like Blake Austin does in Canberra.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As the dust settles I have to say we failed this year and next year looking worse. Fk the Warriors now have a killer roster with a new coach putting us on shame.
Fk off CLEAL
They are. But you and I both know they will still find a way to flop, just like usual. They had a killer roster this year and still failed.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Release everyone except Jackson, Kasiano, Klemmer and Reynolds and start again in my opinion. It's no surprise our best players are born and bred Bulldogs.

Reynolds cops it a lot, but think about the halves partners he's had in his career.... Keating, Hodkinson and Mbye aren't much to cry home to mum about. He needs to be allowed to play his natural style, like Blake Austin does in Canberra.
Id release Grub. Mbye has been cake but he still has more upside than grub.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Im guessing you dont agree maybembye? TBH they are both shite but I think weve seen everything Grub has to offer, I dnt think we have with Mbye being only his first year at HF and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.