Computer/Console Talk/Gaming Super Thread

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Starfield reviews are out. They're a little bit mixed but generally favourable. IGN and Gamespot gave it 7/10, but those are pretty much the lowest scores. Many others gave it 9 or 10.

The criticisms seems to be that it's buggy. Not as buggy as other Bethesda games on release, but still buggy. There's some game mechanics that are terrible, and some missions that are poorly written. But it sounds like most of the issues can be fixed in patches and tweaks.

Many pointed out that it has no chance of getting RPG of the year due to Baldur's Gate 3 being way too good, but it still sounds like an excellent game and well worth the play.

It kind of reminds me of Cyberpunk on release (on PC, not console). Buggy and not the world changing game everyone hoped for, but still a great high scoring game.
More the reason to hold out and wait for patches and QOL changes to come in, I'm in no rush to play to be honest. I'm slowly playing my way through Yakuza until Spiderman 2 comes out. Once Starfield looks to be better than release then I will play it.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Starfield reviews are out. They're a little bit mixed but generally favourable. IGN and Gamespot gave it 7/10, but those are pretty much the lowest scores. Many others gave it 9 or 10.

The criticisms seems to be that it's buggy. Not as buggy as other Bethesda games on release, but still buggy. There's some game mechanics that are terrible, and some missions that are poorly written. But it sounds like most of the issues can be fixed in patches and tweaks.

Many pointed out that it has no chance of getting RPG of the year due to Baldur's Gate 3 being way too good, but it still sounds like an excellent game and well worth the play.

It kind of reminds me of Cyberpunk on release (on PC, not console). Buggy and not the world changing game everyone hoped for, but still a great high scoring game.
I'll believe it when I see it. I kinda lost faith in Bethesda since Fallout 4. On another note, I ended up pre-ordering (something I don't do very often with games these days) Baldur's Gate 3. It's downloading as we speak but can't play it until Sunday. Larian Studios just did a massive update to the game too. At the moment I am playing the PS5 version of The Witcher 3.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
From memory, I think you have to do less than 5 minutes of chores, then shit hits the fan.
Is there a way to see what the other options were in the scene apart from playing gain and choosing different options

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Is there a way to see what the other options were in the scene apart from playing gain and choosing different options
It's been a while but from memory, I think when you finish it they show when you did something that caused the game to branch. Can't remember if it shows the other options though

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Is it as bad as the GoW: Rangarok kids love stories?

Riding around on a fucking animal collecting fruit?
This has gone straight over my head.

Explain? :tearsofjoy:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It's a mission in GOW Ragnarok. It's literally just two teenagers riding around on an animal collecting fruit.
I don't remember this at all, when was this? Lol

Edit: nvm I just remembered, the shit with Atreus and @Realist90 favourite character.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck me that absolutely dragged.

It is literally probably the only reason I have not done NG+ as of yet.
It's a pity. The Kratos combat early on bored the hell out of me (before getting all the upgrades), so the Atreus parts were good 'cause the combat was fast and fun. Until you had to spend so long walking around talking about nothing interesting at all.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Fuck me that absolutely dragged.

It is literally probably the only reason I have not done NG+ as of yet.
I had to really use my brain just to recall it. Probably zoned out doing that mission.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's a pity. The Kratos combat early on bored the hell out of me (before getting all the upgrades), so the Atreus parts were good 'cause the combat was fast and fun. Until you had to spend so long walking around talking about nothing interesting at all.
I have to say - did not care for the spear all that much.

It was a bit of a "meh".

And the actual Raganarok segment was too short.

Still though - game is easily a 9/10 .. im just a picky mother fucka

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Any DMZ players here?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm about 8 hours into Starfield and I can understand why the reviews are so mixed. The game has been compared to Cyberpunk 2077, and I completely understand why:

- It's buggy. Not game breaking buggy, but expect to see characters bugging out and weird stuff going on constantly. I also had 3 missions bug out in the 8 hours of play, forcing me to load an old save. Got stuck many times too due to buggy clipping, but fortunately fast travel saved me

- The randomly generated people are about as fake as they are in Cyberpunk. Randomly generated people walk around and they don't look real at all. It makes the game feel fake at times

Other than that, there's also many other issues:

- The game often feels like a game made 15 years ago. The character animations aren't motion captured, so they have the weird doll effect pretty much identical to the characters in Fallout 4

- The game also feels very much like Fallout 4 to the point that it could be a mod for Fallout 4 when on planets

- There is no real exploration. I spent time travelling to random planets, and it's about as pointless as it is in Mass Effect games. You can land on planets and most of the time you just mine resources. Occasionally you will run into pirates, kill them and then leave. Very, very rarely you will encounter an actual interesting side mission. It's mainly just empty planets. After playing the recent Zelda games (Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom) and Elden Ring, those games you can adventure around an open world and stumble on interesting stories. Starfield doesn't have that

On the plus side though:

- There's an interesting mystery going on that drives the story forward

- Some of the characters are excellent. While the mocap is crap, the voice acting is excellent and many of the characters are very interesting

- The gunplay is great. It's not exactly Call of Duty level, but it's a massive leap forward from Fallout 4

- While there isn't much interest in exporing space, like Cyberpunk the game has a deep level of customisation that can completely change your play style

But as I said, I'm only about 8 hours in. For the first 2 hours I found in interesting, and for the last 6 hours I have found it boring and I want to stop playing. But I'm pushing through. Everything I have read says that it doesn't really get good until late game, and then it gets really good. So I will stick it out.

But as of right now, IGN and Gamespot got grilled for giving it a 7/10. Based on my current experience I would say 7/10 is accurate. Worth playing, but don't expect much. But my thoughts may change after I spend more time with it.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm about 8 hours into Starfield and I can understand why the reviews are so mixed. The game has been compared to Cyberpunk 2077, and I completely understand why:

- It's buggy. Not game breaking buggy, but expect to see characters bugging out and weird stuff going on constantly. I also had 3 missions bug out in the 8 hours of play, forcing me to load an old save. Got stuck many times too due to buggy clipping, but fortunately fast travel saved me

- The randomly generated people are about as fake as they are in Cyberpunk. Randomly generated people walk around and they don't look real at all. It makes the game feel fake at times

- The game often feels like a game made 15 years ago. The character animations aren't motion captured, so they have the weird doll effect pretty much identical to the characters in Fallout 4

- The game also feels very much like Fallout 4 to the point that it could be a mod for Fallout 4 when on planets

- There is no real exploration. I spent time travelling to random planets, and it's about as pointless as it is in Mass Effect games. You can land on planets and most of the time you just mine resources. Occasionally you will run into pirates, kill them and then leave. Very, very rarely you will encounter an actual interesting side mission. It's mainly just empty planets. After playing the recent Zelda games (Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom) and Elden Ring, those games you can adventure around an open world and stumble on interesting stories. Starfield doesn't have that

On the plus side though:

- Some of the characters are excellent. While the mocap is crap, the voice acting is excellent and many of the characters are very interesting

- The gunplay is great. It's not exactly Call of Duty level, but it's a massive leap forward from Fallout 4

- While there isn't much interest in exporing space, like Cyberpunk the game has a deep level of customisation that can completely change your play style

But as I said, I'm only about 8 hours in. For the first 2 hours I found in interesting, and for the last 6 hours I have found it boring and I want to stop playing. But I'm pushing through. Everything I have read says that it doesn't really get good until late game, and then it gets really good. So I will stick it out.

But as of right now, IGN and Gamespot got grilled for giving it a 7/10. Based on my current experience I would say 7/10 is accurate. Worth playing, but don't expect much. But my thoughts may change after I spend more time with it.
I was wondering what you were thinking of it.. I look forward to the rest.. Maybe not a good for me..shame because in theory it sounds brilliant.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score

On the plus side though:

I was like that with Fallout 4, first few hours I was liking it then it become boring. I knew Starfield was just gonna be a reskinned Fallout but in space. From what I've seen of it, I am not that impressed.

On another note, Baldur's Gate 3 is up there as a game of the year prospect i reckon. I am enjoying it immensely.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Games like this need to be waited out a good while before they are playable, gone are the days when games are playable without issues from the start with good QoL implemtations.

I'm in no rush to play espcailly at 30fps, options should always be available for those who want it. They can learn a thing or two from some games like
Spiderman 2 is coming out with 30/40/60 fps options.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I was like that with Fallout 4, first few hours I was liking it then it become boring. I knew Starfield was just gonna be a reskinned Fallout but in space. From what I've seen of it, I am not that impressed.

On another note, Baldur's Gate 3 is up there as a game of the year prospect i reckon. I am enjoying it immensely.
I'm 28 hours into Starfield now. The game has definitely grown on me, but it still has large issues. I went around killing pirates and corps to level up and get better weapons, and that was alright. But then I started main lining the story and realised that's what I should have done all along. The story is more interesting and you unlock heaps of new stuff through the story.

Oddly enough, the gunplay still hasn't become boring for me. It's not exactly deep, but it is very well done compared to the Fallout games. The space combat is the big let down for me though. I spent time upgrading to a more kick arse ship, and focused on space battles, but the space combat is pretty poor. Target a ship, chase it and shoot it. That's pretty much it. You can trick out your ship with more speed and mobility and stuff, but I didn't find that at all useful. Just big weapons and a strong shield. And the rest comes down to how functional you want your ship's interior to be.