CODY Walker could sensationally walk out on South Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone is blaming him, his a top 3 player at his club and is on 200k, and he only has maybe 5 years of footy left so he needs to look after his family.
Disagree, first year into a Contract and you turn out going alright then demand more money. Not how a Contract Works. Going off this its not his doing anyway. If A) the Manager and B) the Player were that good he would be on more now when he signed the deal.
Just my 2 bob mate.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Souths won't let him go till end of 2018 at earliest.

So he'll just have to suck it up.

But $200k is a bargain for him.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Souths won't let him go till end of 2018 at earliest.

So he'll just have to suck it up.

But $200k is a bargain for him.
He's actually in a good position to walk. If he's wanted by another club, 200K is peanuts to cover his existing contract.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If he is only on 200k then we should be offering more. Put it this way if Ben hunt is on a million and josh Reynolds is on 750k josh Dugan 1million we should offer him 600k. He's a great player and could play fullback or back up half.

More fool the clubs that paid/ will pay those that type of money. This new expectation of certain money for certain positions at any time in a players career whether he be a rookie or an old timer really talented or just plain or mildly talented is ridiculous.

Because the cream of the crop in each position get a million or close to a year, every player manager goes out to screw a club for all they are worth even if the player they are representing is not in the same class. It is like saying that Billy Slater is worth a cool million as a fullback and Cameron Smith is worth the same as a hooker therefore the player I represent should get a payday just the same. The player market is overheating and now that there are 30 players to be accommodated under the cap do the math and work out that player payments based on the expectations of manager is not going to work. Have five or so players on this big money and watch the other 25 or so fight over what is left like seagulls over a chip.

A player and his manager negotiate and are happy to sign a contract for a set amount for a set period of time and then expect to change the goalposts mid game because that said player starts to show what he is/ may be worth on the open market come near the end of their contract.

Players are only in the game for a set period of time, but this guy, a back mind you ,not a forward ( they seem to improve over time) was only picked up at the age of what, 26 by an NRL club. His talent only came to light at that time and he was paid exactly what he was worth at that time. Wait until the next deal to negotiate like any honourable person would do not try to screw the club who gave you a chance by what amounts to blackmail. He had the chance or so it seems to make some coin at the Broncos but chose Souths instead. Live with it.

Reaction score
He's actually in a good position to walk. If he's wanted by another club, 200K is peanuts to cover his existing contract.
and his integrity would be worth peanuts if he walks out.
not souths fault for him signing a deal to play for x amount of dollars, his manager had the chance to negotiate suitable terms when signing.
he should be mad at himself and his manager if he feels he is hard done by.
he may be worth more but he signed a deal. a man of integrity would honor that deal, but we all know these days a man's word is no longer his bond

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
More fool the clubs that paid/ will pay those that type of money. This new expectation of certain money for certain positions at any time in a players career whether he be a rookie or an old timer really talented or just plain or mildly talented is ridiculous.

Because the cream of the crop in each position get a million or close to a year, every player manager goes out to screw a club for all they are worth even if the player they are representing is not in the same class. It is like saying that Billy Slater is worth a cool million as a fullback and Cameron Smith is worth the same as a hooker therefore the player I represent should get a payday just the same. The player market is overheating and now that there are 30 players to be accommodated under the cap do the math and work out that player payments based on the expectations of manager is not going to work. Have five or so players on this big money and watch the other 25 or so fight over what is left like seagulls over a chip.

A player and his manager negotiate and are happy to sign a contract for a set amount for a set period of time and then expect to change the goalposts mid game because that said player starts to show what he is/ may be worth on the open market come near the end of their contract.

Players are only in the game for a set period of time, but this guy, a back mind you ,not a forward ( they seem to improve over time) was only picked up at the age of what, 26 by an NRL club. His talent only came to light at that time and he was paid exactly what he was worth at that time. Wait until the next deal to negotiate like any honourable person would do not try to screw the club who gave you a chance by what amounts to blackmail. He had the chance or so it seems to make some coin at the Broncos but chose Souths instead. Live with it.
He had one good game against the tigers and has probably been told to strike while the irons hot , much like that con man on our team with the holy name.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
and his integrity would be worth peanuts if he walks out.
not souths fault for him signing a deal to play for x amount of dollars, his manager had the chance to negotiate suitable terms when signing.
he should be mad at himself and his manager if he feels he is hard done by.
he may be worth more but he signed a deal. a man of integrity would honor that deal, but we all know these days a man's word is no longer his bond
Youre right , integrity means nothing really when money, greed or possessions come into play .

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We the ***** rang that bell and weren't respectful of our clubs experience on that day... as well as black friday... Souffs can get fucked, as if anyone would honour a deal with them. Metaphorical Chester Lampwick (simpsons reference)
I can tell you, part of the deal was if South didn't make it back, their Juniors would have joint the Bulldogs Juniors.
That really pissed of the Rorters !

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can't stand players making these kind of threats. His contract he signed was for what he was worth at the time.

Send him back to reserve grade until he wakes up to himself. If I were souths there is no way I'd let him go
I agree just because he's hit a purple patch doesn't entitle him to an increase on a deal that was signed by both parties in good faith.
If he started playing poorly, could souths "revise down" his deal ?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Souths are smart operators... if he tried to walk they would legal up and force the NRL simply to not register him until 2019 with another club, citing his existing contract with Souths.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Similar to SBW in some ways. He could possibly still leave during his contract and move to another code. Doesn't say a lot for his integrity but facts are that players pull this kind of crap all the time these days. Managers contribute to this and if it works out the new manager he had enhances his reputation for potential new recruits.

To be fair though souths probably should look to upgrade him if he's improved drastically and can maintain his good firm for a prolonged period, but them out opens a can of worms with other players in their squad potentially getting the craps and demanding more.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In my opinion he is more then entitled to ask for a pay-rise!! HOWEVER, the club is more then entitled to say NO!!
I think the media simply got a whif of the fact he asked for an increase, and then turned into a headline that read, 'CODY WALKER COULD SENSATIONALLY WALK OUT ON SOUTH SYDNEY!!' Absolutey hysteria out of nothing as per usual. The media are the ones with no integrity!!!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
GI just admitted himself with depression, whats going on at the Rabbits?

Chew Rabbit

Waterboy
Reaction score
He could have signed a one year deal and back himself ,he would be sitting pretty now in this outrageous market

Benjamin Short

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Player managers need to be sacked why can't the players negotiate there own contracts

The Faz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I believe he re-signed with Souths because he genuinely loves the club but has gotten the shits now because apparently he was told that he would be next cab off the rank to get an upgrade. All of a sudden the Bunnies throw their hat into the ring for Gagai and the shit hits the fan. I think Cody is entitled to feel hard done by and it's the club that has acted in a duplicitous way. Integrity is a two way street and I think Cody has shown plenty of it.

At the end of the day though, I couldn't give a fuck about Souths' contractual arrangement with Walker; if the guy wants out then we should be doing everything we can to bring him across. Because of the low base he is currently on, I think $550K to $600K would get him over the line.

1. Walker 2.Borris 3. Jorris 4. Lee 5. Hoppa 6. Mbye 7. Foran 8. Woods 9. Woolford 10. Klemmer 11. Jacko (C) 12. Elliot 13. Graham 14. Tolman 15. Tualau/Fualalo 16. RFM/To'omaga 17. Brown

That my friends is a premiership winning roster.

Last edited:

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe he re-signed with Souths because he genuinely loves the club but has gotten the shits now because apparently he was told that he would be next cab off the rank to get an upgrade. All of a sudden the Bunnies throw their hat into the ring for Gagai and the shit hits the fan. I think Cody is entitled to feel hard done by and it's the club that has acted in a duplicitous way. Integrity is a two way street and I think Cody has shown plenty of it.

At the end of the day though, I couldn't give a fuck about Souths' contractual arrangement with Walker; if the guy wants out then we should be doing everything we can to bring him across. Because of the low base he is currently on, I think $550K to $600K would get him over the line.

1. Walker 2.Borris 3. Jorris 4. Lee 5. Hoppa 6. Mbye 7. Foran 8. Woods 9. Woolford 10. Klemmer 11. Jacko (C) 12. Elliot 13. Graham 14. Tolman 15. Tualau/Fualalo 16. RFM/To'omaga 17. Brown

That my friends is a premiership winning roster.
Mbye at 7 are you sure you're alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.