Opinion Coaching Process

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The first problem is Wendy the more Gould gets involved in actual coaching the less likely we are to recruit a quality coach. Experienced NRL coaches will tolerate interference up to a point, but there is a line. We don't want to get a good coach and then have them leave because they can't do their job, their way.

Secondly it's not Gould's job, NRL coaching is full on full time role 24/7/365 and he needs the time and energy available to do the long term things that will ensure our success and lock it in for years to come. That's why he is here, he speaks so enthusiastically about bringing the young players up through their careers.

Thirdly Gould has said many many times that his time as an NRL coach is gone, he has reasons why he hasn't coached for 18 years.

Always a Bulldog
I know all that TT.

Still believe Gus needs to get more hands on to effect some change and success.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gould has enormous influence and an extensive network but i often wonder whether his evasiveness, vagueness and talking in riddles is because he is unsure or he wants to confuse others. Would be a challenge for coaches staff n players to understand what he wants if he communicates like that on a daily basis.

Is there more to him or is it as it was with George Costanza "less"
Heard he is a close talker.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s all on Gus now.. he has to make one decision and get it right. Simple as that.

we wait.!!!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Gould has enormous influence and an extensive network but i often wonder whether his evasiveness, vagueness and talking in riddles is because he is unsure or he wants to confuse others. Would be a challenge for coaches staff n players to understand what he wants if he communicates like that on a daily basis.

Is there more to him or is it as it was with George Costanza "less"
I'm still of the belief that Gus is our only viable option such is the depth of our problems, but certainly felt we would immediately get a bounce with his influence being brought into the team. Not so. Except for the Roosters game (apparently).

With these evasive mind games, the constant chatter and human headline Murdoch press have made him, I have concerns. The future yes he can help us but for 2022 season he has no influence on our performances on the field and has been ineffectual.

I have a sense that he is prepared to let us fall even further to improve his rebuild agenda and I wonder, if any of us were in the same situation, would we be content to sit back and let this sheetshow unfold and not improve, as Gus is currently overseeing...I doubt that.

The excuse of junior development and coach hiring and firing and saying coaching is all behind doesn't cut it as he is GM Football. Fair enough but he can't have any influence this year unless he gets involved more with Potter...

It seems clear that more needs to be done immediately if we don't want to be clear wooden spoon winners by a hefty margin for the 2nd year running.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I know all that TT.
Still believe Gus needs to get more hands on to effect some change and success.
The question is how much "hands on" is too much, he took the whistle for one drill and we never heard the end of it. Yes, that's media beat up, but next time they will go ever harder. I'm sure he gives plenty of feedback in the video review session on Mondays when asked, but that's behind closed doors, out in the open, think of the videos and pictures, I don't think so.

Always a Bulldog

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The question is how much "hands on" is too much, he took the whistle for one drill and we never heard the end of it. Yes, that's media beat up, but next time they will go ever harder. I'm sure he gives plenty of feedback in the video review session on Mondays when asked, but that's behind closed doors, out in the open, think of the videos and pictures, I don't think so.

Always a Bulldog
Couldn't care less about media beat ups. They happen anyway no matter around our club and Gus.

Only care about bringing some competitiveness and respectability to the team right now :grinning:

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mate we all know that.

That was the premise of him being hired to fix the joint.

But

It's gone further downhill and he needs to intervene fully in fixing the problems now...not into the future.

We don't have the time to complete studies and best case scenarios and 5 year plans, whilst languishing at the bottom of the pile.

Something needs to be done NOW to improve the teams future. He needs to roll up his sleeves and address this most immediate need NOW.
That's how Gus operates. The same shit happened at the Panthers. Gus wants all the glory, that's why he sacked Ivan Cleary & Anthony Griffin. Notice after Ivan came back Gus was gone a short time later, they improved heaps & made a GF & the following year won it.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That's how Gus operates. The same shit happened at the Panthers. Gus wants all the glory, that's why he sacked Ivan Cleary & Anthony Griffin. Notice after Ivan came back Gus was gone a short time later, they improved heaps & made a GF & the following year won it.
Clearly walked into an already made setup and system

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Couldn't care less about media beat ups. They happen anyway no matter around our club and Gus.

Only care about bringing some competitiveness and respectability to the team right now :grinning:
I don't care about media beat ups either, us Bulldogs supports are well and truly used to it. But it might be a factor in whether coaches apply for the position or not. I would hate to miss out on the best coach available just because some media hack posted pictures of Gould running a training session. And then even more hacks piled on with stories that the new coach was already being undermined, before they had even started. Gould is far too smart to fall into that trap, he will let Potter run it until the new coach is chosen and signed (which is not the same as announced).

Always a Bulldog

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Using players, systems and pathways that Gould set up for him.

Let's get real here, the only reason Penrith Signed ICleary was because NCleary threatened to leave if they didn't.

Always a Bulldog

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm still of the belief that Gus is our only viable option such is the depth of our problems, but certainly felt we would immediately get a bounce with his influence being brought into the team. Not so. Except for the Roosters game (apparently).

With these evasive mind games, the constant chatter and human headline Murdoch press have made him, I have concerns. The future yes he can help us but for 2022 season he has no influence on our performances on the field and has been ineffectual.

I have a sense that he is prepared to let us fall even further to improve his rebuild agenda and I wonder, if any of us were in the same situation, would we be content to sit back and let this sheetshow unfold and not improve, as Gus is currently overseeing...I doubt that.

The excuse of junior development and coach hiring and firing and saying coaching is all behind doesn't cut it as he is GM Football. Fair enough but he can't have any influence this year unless he gets involved more with Potter...

It seems clear that more needs to be done immediately if we don't want to be clear wooden spoon winners by a hefty margin for the 2nd year running.
Don't know about Gus's contract arrangement with the club, some say 5 years with an option of another 5.
There's a few things that worry me no end.
Firstly all clubs are very active in their search for young tallent, it looks to me like some clubs are more active than ours in this area, their is much more competition now that when Bullfrog was in charge, and I not yet convinced that Gus has the pulling power some might think.
Secondly unless something is done quickly at NRL head office, the strong clubs will only get stronger and the week clubs will only get weeker.
Thirdly in order to make the game more attractive, they have introduced rules which has made it easier for the better teams to dominate the weeker teams on the field.
Forthly the betting gencies have now become so active that they are in such a position of power which will allow them to influencing result.
Us fans might feel comfortable knowing that our Leagues club is very "wealthy" however, I have a strong feeling that Gus will either bring great success or total failure, and my bet is 50/50 on that.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I don't care about media beat ups either, us Bulldogs supports are well and truly used to it. But it might be a factor in whether coaches apply for the position or not. I could hate to miss out on the best coach available just because some media hack posted pictures of Gould running a training session. And then even more hacks piled on with stories that the new coach was already being undermined, before they even start. Gould is far too smart to fall into that trap, he will let Potter run it until the new coach is chosen and signed (which is not the same as announced).

Always a Bulldog
Any coach contemplating signing with us knows they 100% get Gus Gould and all his presence and piccadillos that comes with it.

They need to be fully aware of what that entails...and they would be...the good and the bad of it.

Reactions: obe

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't care about media beat ups either, us Bulldogs supports are well and truly used to it. But it might be a factor in whether coaches apply for the position or not. I would hate to miss out on the best coach available just because some media hack posted pictures of Gould running a training session. And then even more hacks piled on with stories that the new coach was already being undermined, before they even start. Gould is far too smart to fall into that trap, he will let Potter run it until the new coach is chosen and signed (which is not the same as announced).

Always a Bulldog
The club will become more attractive to prospective coaches as each player is moved on and more dollars and top 30 spots become available. Kikau Mahoney TPJ Burton Addo Carr and Sutton along with JAckson (playing to his strength) the potential in Kiraz it is not a bad core to start building around.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Don't know about Gus's contract arrangement with the club, some say 5 years with an option of another 5.
There's a few things that worry me no end.
Firstly all clubs are very active in their search for young tallent, it looks to me like some clubs are more active than ours in this area, their is much more competition now that when Bullfrog was in charge, and I not yet convinced that Gus has the pulling power some might think.
Secondly unless something is done quickly at NRL head office, the strong clubs will only get stronger and the week clubs will only get weeker.
Thirdly in order to make the game more attractive, they have introduced rules which has made it easier for the better teams to dominate the weeker teams on the field.
Forthly the betting gencies have now become so active that they are in such a position of power which will allow them to influencing result.
Us fans might feel comfortable knowing that our Leagues club is very "wealthy" however, I have a strong feeling that Gus will either bring great success or total failure, and my bet is 50/50 on that.
Yeah we just don't know what the future brings.

I'd like to see some more immediate good things happening with our association with Gus...and he's the only one that can make that happen.

In the meantime we are directionless and leaderless when we could see more put into fixing that issue.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd like to see some more immediate good things happening with our association with Gus...and he's the only one that can make that happen.
Well we beat the Chooks under his watch.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I like many on here was of the opinion that Barrett's time was up

It's quite obvious they made him walk with a juicy 500k payout, just like how the previous board made Pay walk out with a pay out......because if they really did leave "on their own terms", they would not of received a payout

My question is with the timing of all this?

Why would you sack Barrett, give him a payout and than bring in Potter for half a season and upgrade his contract to reflect that of a first grade coach....

Wouldn't you leave Barrett until the end of 2022 and than give him his marching orders? It doesn't make sense if the club will "hopefully" have a coach by September, which means that it is likely a current contracted coach while sacking Barrett half way through the year?

Could it be that the club already had a handshake agreement with a coach before Barrett was sacked?

Could it be there is a current contracted coach who has cornered Gus to act now, giving him a guarantee that the job is vacant, instead of waiting until the end of the year where it "might" be vacant?

I find it hard to believe that a NRL club would sack their head coach half way through the year, in "hope" with replacing him with a contracted coach at the end of the year
No there was too much pressure on the board and from us fans.
If you remember there were petitions on instagram and Facebook to have Barrett sacked.
Alot of fans were brutal and carrying on like pork chops.
Something had to be done the pressure valve has now been released.