Official Ciraldo announces Crichton as new Club Captain, Expresses gratitude to Mahoney and Burton

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Origin player check, international rep player check, 3 time GF winner check.

But but but he hasn’t played in our colours yet how can he be captain?

His record speaks for itself. Ciraldo has taken lessons from the shambles last season and moved on from what didn’t work.

Raff

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Good decision. Start the season fresh instead of chopping and changing leadership roles into the season. Burton, Mahoney clearly didn't work. Crichtons very disciplined, consistent and respected.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Great decision by the club. He has plenty of leadership qualities,he will set the standards on and off the field.Young players would already look up to him,but now even more so.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hopefully this does not backfire . TBH that’s pretty poor decision making by our club .
The put the pressure on Burto and Mahoney last year and have taken it back off them . The captain should be Kikau simple . He is experienced and accomplished everything in the game .
A leader of the pack and a great role model .
I don't see how it can backfire though,it's not.like we have any long term players who might get upset.Everything you said of Kikau,is true of Crichton,but Crichton is a better communicator. Which can't be underestimated,when he is the teams representative with the ref

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

His record speaks for itself. Ciraldo has taken lessons from the shambles last season and moved on from what didn’t work.
Fresssssssh!

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
I do not know when this happened, but it could have been as soon as Mahoney was loaded with too much responsibility as captain. He suddenly ran sideways trying to link up with a direct running player and kept running at a steady pace, assuming no one was following him from behind, only to get whacked as he is passing to lose the ball.

How many times did that happen to Mahoney and he still did not adjust. Hopefully now, he can just get his instincts back and just play with more composure and smarts.

This reference to "best version" all the time is also not helpful. Too much nonsense pressure to the best 'perfect' version. Just have a go and keep learning from your mistakes while always having a go. That's it. Stop with this best version bullshit. The moment you think you get there, you delude yourself and lose form with the cocky attitude.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

I think we are about to see the real Ciraldo, he had no options last year his hands where tied, this year is very different.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m more for it than against it, however, I do have slight concerns, but I’ll trust those in the club who know more than me.

The guy has played 100 games and has 3 back to back premierships, not as a bit player, but as an X-factor who lifted the team in crucial moments. If he already displays that then I’m good. Also, it may make Burton a better player being a leader but not THE one with all the pressure. Mahoney will be sweet. Last year leading those clowns around would have been damaging to Burton and Mahoney. This year they can focus more on their own efforts. I’m sure the group will consist of those 3, Kikau, Ado-Carr and maybe even Mann and Hutchinson.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This is great news, instantly puts Burton and Mahoney on notice, Neither played well enough in that first trial and it’s a lot easier to drop a player that’s not captain. Looks like CC has the gloves off, I like it.
Absolutely...it puts EVERYONE on notice.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So do we only have the one captain this season? Already learnt from the disaster of having 3 captains last season. Good stuff
With the benifit of hindsight I think that was an attempt to unify an already fractured playing group, it didn't work and he had to play the cards he was dealt.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We should have done it last year but they were scared to name a new recruit the captain so I'm glad for this choice
He has got the chance to strut his stuff..so good luck to him!

DFLWatto

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Have to laugh, Nine's Wide World of Sports headline is "Bulldogs Coach Axes Captains Two Weeks Before Season".
It might be true but another story about the Dogs has been turned into a negative.

On another note, I wonder if the captaincy was a factor in his negotiations with us, maybe the deciding factor.
"AHH IM SHOCKED"
Nothing new with these grubby journos, they just love to hate us. Fuckem!

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Just praying now this bings out the best of Mahoney and Burton, because IF they play to their full potential every game, we are a much better team than experts may be guessing….
How those two players react to this against the sharks will give all of us a real good indication of what their future will be at the dogs IMO