News Ciraldo’s telling response after hip drop drama strikes Easter Friday clash... again

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo delivered a telling response after a potential hip drop tackle on backrower Jacob Preston went unpenalised a year on from his controversial sin bin.

Preston was left clutching his ankle in the first half after Rabbitohs superstar Jack Wighton dragged him down, clinging onto his back.

The former Raiders five-eighth escaped sanction as it was deemed Wighton did not land on Preston’s legs.

In the post-match press conference, Cameron Ciraldo was reminded of the furore that was sparked during this same Easter fixture in 2023, with Preston being sent to the bin for a similar tackle.

The NRL world was split on whether Preston’s effort on Rabbitohs flyer Izack Thompson was in fact a hip drop, however he escaped punishment despite being marched off the field.

“Yeah I remember it well, yeah. I remember it,” Ciraldo said.

When asked what he thought of Wighton’s tackle, Ciraldo bit his tongue, but his opinion was clear after he rolled his eyes several times.

“I honestly didn’t see it that closely,” Ciraldo said as he delivered a huge sigh.

“No, I didn’t see it that closely.”

Meanwhile, Dogs forward Kurtis Morrin was sent to the sin bin for an ugly lifting tackle that saw Rabbitohs skipper Cameron Murray land on his shoulder.

Ciraldo was confident referee Gerard Sutton made the right decision, but did suggest an opposition player should have also been marched.

“Yeah it was probably fair, Kurtis tackles low and he just didn’t get it quite right there,” Ciraldo said.

“There wasn’t any malice in it, but it is what it is. Probably got what it deserved but might have been nice to get one of them on the other side.”

Yet another contentious point of this clash was Latrell Mitchell colliding with flyer Josh Addo-Carr, knocking the winger out in the process.

The Rabbitohs fullback’s hip collected Addo-Carr’s head, however he escaped sanction despite being already taken into touch on the stroke of halftime.

Addo-Carr is now set to be sidelined for Round 5 and will be stood down for 11 days under the NRL’s concussion protocols.

“I haven’t seen it too closely, but we lost him for the rest of the game, probably lose him for next week now so not ideal,” Ciraldo said.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So I just watched it again... analysed the fcuk out of it.

An unbiased opinion... Contact was extremely minimal as Preston was losing the ball but it was a classic hip drop to stop a try.

Bottomline is Morrin got sin binned for a dangerous tackle, no injury. Wighton's was a dangerous tackle, no injury. Can anyone explain the difference to me?

Should have been sin binned.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Explain the difference to you, yeah sure , let me go throught the the theory of relativity first,
E mc2 ....

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We honestly had so many chances but could not finish them off. Preston’s hip drop knock on was one. Burton break no support another. Morris drops it before the line. Kikau obstruction. We should have won that game what a loss of an opportunity

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We honestly had so many chances but could not finish them off. Preston’s hip drop knock on was one. Burton break no support another. Morris drops it before the line. Kikau obstruction. We should have won that game what a loss of an opportunity
It hurts, it really does BUT straight up.... I dont know how i can be positive about it but when was the last time we were sitting there saying "we bombed that game"?

Like seriously the closest we have been in the last few years was, " we should be happy we kept it under 10+.

As u said we left 3 certain tries out there... We should have won comfortably, still better than not even coming close.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

An unbiased opinion... Contact was extremely minimal as Preston was losing the ball but it was a classic hip drop to stop a try.

Bottomline is Morrin got sin binned for a dangerous tackle, no injury. Wighton's was a dangerous tackle, no injury. Can anyone explain the difference to me?

The difference is Sutton and the bunker.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
And some Fwit called Analsly
That suggestion of one person in the bunker for all games is a good one...or 2 maybe but they need to quickly restore some integrity to the footy public's perception of the officiating of games.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
No integrity in a sport that thrives on gambling.
Did you see Vlad is selling the US tv rights to a gambling entity over there?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No integrity in a sport that thrives on gambling.
Absolutely, the bets pre game definitely have an influence on the officiating, or so it would seem.. when you see what happened in manly v eels game, tonight how the top of the table cowboys got a flogging by the donkeys.. interpretation and discretion makes money. Huge conspiracy!!

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

They will charge Rell for the hit on JAC and will think this will appease, but the reality is Graham A wont take/ make any further comment on the hip drop this is treating fans with contempt (without regard to thier knowledge, precedents and understanding of the rules) because in April 2023 this tackle would have been a black n white sin bin. No rule change since then.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Absolutely, the bets pre game definitely have an influence on the officiating, or so it would seem.. when you see what happened in manly v eels game, tonight how the top of the table cowboys got a flogging by the donkeys.. interpretation and discretion makes money. Huge conspiracy!!
Been around for yonks... Would have been nice to crush the conspirers today and we had plenty of chances to do so.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It hurts, it really does BUT straight up.... I dont know how i can be positive about it but when was the last time we were sitting there saying "we bombed that game"?

Like seriously the closest we have been in the last few years was, " we should be happy we kept it under 10+.

As u said we left 3 certain tries out there... We should have won comfortably, still better than not even coming close.
Yea I was on the edge of my seat the whole game. If the game went on for 100 minutes we would have won. We ran out of time and failed to convert many opportunities that we actually did create

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Wasn't that the whole point of US venture? Can you imagine games being manipulated by the US market... NRL is defo dying.
Now its to be exclusively televised on the USA gambling TV channel. You can't dream this up.

I was saying before. Crime gangs have heavily infiltrated the almond and bee industry in USA. Car jacking semi trailers of almonds and selling on the black market and that industry needs bees to pollinate the almond trees so they are stealing the hives. If they are infiltrating and using extortion tactics with an agricultural industry like that, it beggers believe that sports betting can't be corrupted...(on their TV channel lol).

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Now its to be exclusively televised on the USA gambling TV channel. You can't dream this up.

I was saying before. Crime gangs have heavily infiltrated the almond and bee industry in USA. Car jacking semi trailers of almonds and selling on the black market and that industry needs bees to pollinate the almond trees so they are stealing the hives. If they are infiltrating and using extortion tactics with an agricultural industry like that, it beggers believe that sports betting can't be corrupted...(on their TV channel lol).
What have you been reading or watching lol

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We dominated the entire game every where except the scoreboard...the 10 minutes before halftime is what cost us, bombed a few plus bunnies should have had one or 2 in the bin.
We should of led by 16-18 points at halftime had we not bombed some certain trys