Status
Not open for further replies.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I wasn't looking forward to the game until I read this.

Bring on the Cowgirls....

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Howdy Kennel-Sirs and Kennel-ettes,

Long time no rant eh?

The TL;DR version of me is, I'm much busier with life these days but I do lurk a lot without posting (I like to 'soak in' threads, but I find that harder these days so I just observe). Anyhoo, that's not why I'm here. We can catch up later and there's more pressing matters at hand.

So without further ado .... Gather round the campfire. Uncle CK has a story :grinning:

You see ... this year in particular, I've noticed an increasing rise in frustrations from some fans, varying from constructive criticism to spectacular emotional meltdown. For some, patience is wearing thin and for others it may have eroded completely under the urge of 'waiting for a Bulldogs premiership'.

Personally, 'that noise' annoys me and I avoid it. Whether we're winning 12 games straight (2012) or in race for the spoon (2008), in the bottom of my heart I know I will always love this club. Sure, I might hate what's going on right now, but who am I kidding ? I'll be back next week, next year, just like everyone else. With that in mind, the idea of week-to-week frustration doesn't marry up with the 'loyal, 30+ year supporter' in me. I wont lie though ... there certainly was a time when that used to be me (2005-2007), so I understand how one gets here. Simply put - Expectations are not being met and frustration emerges. That happened to me during that era.

What I learned during our darkest days, is that players come and players go, but it's the fans and the history that endures. Time has taught me that some of the greatest moments as a fan have occurred during times of great uncertainty and frustration.

- The frustations of our season in 95 (finished 6th) are forgotten because we triumphed against adveristy.
- The loss of the GF in 98 is tempered by our historic "charge from 9th" and consectitve extra time heroics.
- The heartache of losing our 2002 points is forgotten by those who galvanised and supported the club regardless. Anyone who went to out last round win that year will tell you "yeah those days sucked but man that day was the best !"
- The satisfaction that came with 2004, after 2002 & 2003 !!!
- Our collective let down after 2008's spoon, SBW's defection and general state of affairs .... was met with a rebirth in 2009. Led by a new batch of recruits and a CEO who'd pull our tarnished names from the mud and prove you could in-fact polish a turd, we bulldozed our way back into contention as a powerhouse of rugby league. I went to 12 games that year, culminating in being part of 35,000 strong Bulldogs Army and about 100 Kennelers at our downfall against Parramatta. F*cking awesome times !!!

That day changed me forever ... In my eyes, we were united. All 35,000 of us, marched into the battle draped in blue and white, and with the full furry of voice and hope, we stood tall, stuck out of our chests and said "Here we are. We're right behind you !"

I remember the faces. SO many faces.

Some faces I'd seen all year long and, on the big day, there they were again packed with extra hope -It helped me feel at home.
Some faces we're new and I could tell they were drawn by the irresistible pull of "Bulldogs Army on Tour" - It helped warm my heart the future was in good hands.
Some faces I'd seen once or twice - It filled me with happiness thinking "good, I'm glad they made it too".

So if you've come this far you're wondering :Yeah CK but how does that apply to me ?

Well I'll tell ya ....

Right now, in Rd 24 2016, our little Bulldogs boat is in a race to the line with other boats. If we're honest about our boat, it aint the fastest, it aint the sturdiest, and even though it's pretty sturdy to get the job done, it appears to be leaking. And now's not really the right time for leaking I know, but we got not other choice than (a) work with it, or (b) sink. If we take on anymore water, we may not beat the other boats.

We can't buy another boat now. We have to work with this boat. The last thing this boat needs right now, is thousands of people complaining about how much the boat sucks. If you hate the boat so much you wanna get off and swim to shore, that's fine. I'll see you next year with a new boat and we can try again then.

But right now, tonight ... with last years premiers led by the "great-one-we-let-get-away" JT, ask yourself ... Am I gonna help get this boat to the island in September or not ?

I'm urging you : THROW YOURSELF INTO THE CHALLENGE !!!

Defy the odds.
Defy the chorus of naysayers.
Defy the taunts of opposition.
Defy them all with a big f*cking middle finger and shit-tonne of blind faith !!!

If shit hits fan, and we eventuallly bomb out in September ... you can take away pride, loyalty, fearlessness and honour, as your legitimate fan badges. Nobody can ever tell you that you havent done the hard yards !

Win or lose tonight, we ARE playing finals footy - That's a fact.
What are you gonna do fellow -Kenneler ?

Who's standing at the front of this boat ?
Who's turn is it to hurry up and bail water from the drowning naysayers, so we can cheer solid for 90mins ???

If that's you, and you're taking it upon yourself to be that fan in the boat, I'm with you.

Screw the life-vests, we stay here until it either makes it the whole way or goes down, and we'll do it together.

Dogs by 8points tonight !!!
(*pelvic thrusts and leaves forum*)
Wonderful memories there, for sure. I remember the 2002 Broncos game when, at the end, Gordie Tallis came over and applauded the Dogs fans in acknowledgement of what that win meant to us. I remember sitting in the freezing pouring rain watching the Dragons beat us after SBW walked out - a young Bennie Barba was creamed under the high bomb that night. I also remember seeing Bob McCarthy take that intercept and steal a GF from us in 1967. That hurt real bad.

I will always keep the passion for the Berries/Dogs. But we're gonna get done tonight; and season over. I've already prepared for the loss, so it won't hurt so much.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Fucking awesome post CK, so glad I read it.
Yes I am as nervous as fuck about the boat sinking but I will stay on to the end.

You know that was the best post on the bulldogs since I read one either 2002, 2003 or 2004 on a fan forum on the clubs wedsite.

This dogs fan who lived in the US was back in Australia with his family obviously following the death of his father who was also a massive dogs fan.

They had all been to the game on the weekend when the team played at the sportsground, including of course buying a ticket for his father.
How there was a family day and kids could go on the ground and meet the players.

He spoke about how much the club had meant to his father.
How he still followed the club as much as possible living in the United States.
How his mum kept him up to date.
How much his kids, who knew nothing about Rugby League, enjoyed their day at the footy.

We do have a great club!!
I hope there is a big crowd at Belmore tonight.
I'll be watching from Melbourne but there in spirit from the days when I was a kid and stood on the gravel hill at Belmore with my dad.
With the big home crowd hopefully we get all the 50/50 calls.
The players fire up.
And we have a win for the ages.
For all those Bulldogs fans past and present.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I loved the final result.
No one was going to beat that Broncos side in a GF that year. After 4 grueling finals matches the dogs got rewarded with facing off with the Australian Kangaroos team lol.

Last edited:

chriso

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Fucken awesome post CK, best I've read on this forum.
Fuck I'm fired up for tonight and hope the boys can pull it off.
If not I'll kick the dog and say fuck footy for good....
But I'll be back the following week flying the blue and white flag cause that's the way we roll...
Fire up boys!!!

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fucken awesome post CK, best I've read on this forum.
Fuck I'm fired up for tonight and hope the boys can pull it off.
If not I'll kick the dog and say fuck footy for good....
But I'll be back the following week flying the blue and white flag cause that's the way we roll...
Fire up boys!!!
I must say im inspired and pumped,ill accept if we go down swinging after giving 110% but if the lazy uninterested dogs show up ill be spewing venom lol.
Up the fucking dogs

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok Doggies fans get excited!! Our year starts tonight at Belmore. It will define who we are. I have a good feeling we are going to see the real dogs tonight...yeh I'm pumped!! we all should be! I don't care if your sailing, rowing or taking your rubber duckies...just get your arses out there and give the cows heaps. Don't let them f@#$%#g breath!!! This is our house!!

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
ahhh right on time. i was waiting for this post lol. ck youre a bloody legend.

i think most on here wont give up on supporting the dogs, as frustrated as they may be. why else would they go out of their way to sign up, log in and make the effort to post? coz they care.

btw you brought along the tube and rope, didnt you? :p

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Howdy Kennel-Sirs and Kennel-ettes,

Long time no rant eh?

The TL;DR version of me is, I'm much busier with life these days but I do lurk a lot without posting (I like to 'soak in' threads, but I find that harder these days so I just observe). Anyhoo, that's not why I'm here. We can catch up later and there's more pressing matters at hand.

So without further ado .... Gather round the campfire. Uncle CK has a story :grinning:

You see ... this year in particular, I've noticed an increasing rise in frustrations from some fans, varying from constructive criticism to spectacular emotional meltdown. For some, patience is wearing thin and for others it may have eroded completely under the urge of 'waiting for a Bulldogs premiership'.

Personally, 'that noise' annoys me and I avoid it. Whether we're winning 12 games straight (2012) or in race for the spoon (2008), in the bottom of my heart I know I will always love this club. Sure, I might hate what's going on right now, but who am I kidding ? I'll be back next week, next year, just like everyone else. With that in mind, the idea of week-to-week frustration doesn't marry up with the 'loyal, 30+ year supporter' in me. I wont lie though ... there certainly was a time when that used to be me (2005-2007), so I understand how one gets here. Simply put - Expectations are not being met and frustration emerges. That happened to me during that era.

What I learned during our darkest days, is that players come and players go, but it's the fans and the history that endures. Time has taught me that some of the greatest moments as a fan have occurred during times of great uncertainty and frustration.

- The frustations of our season in 95 (finished 6th) are forgotten because we triumphed against adveristy.
- The loss of the GF in 98 is tempered by our historic "charge from 9th" and consectitve extra time heroics.
- The heartache of losing our 2002 points is forgotten by those who galvanised and supported the club regardless. Anyone who went to out last round win that year will tell you "yeah those days sucked but man that day was the best !"
- The satisfaction that came with 2004, after 2002 & 2003 !!!
- Our collective let down after 2008's spoon, SBW's defection and general state of affairs .... was met with a rebirth in 2009. Led by a new batch of recruits and a CEO who'd pull our tarnished names from the mud and prove you could in-fact polish a turd, we bulldozed our way back into contention as a powerhouse of rugby league. I went to 12 games that year, culminating in being part of 35,000 strong Bulldogs Army and about 100 Kennelers at our downfall against Parramatta. F*cking awesome times !!!

That day changed me forever ... In my eyes, we were united. All 35,000 of us, marched into the battle draped in blue and white, and with the full furry of voice and hope, we stood tall, stuck out of our chests and said "Here we are. We're right behind you !"

I remember the faces. SO many faces.

Some faces I'd seen all year long and, on the big day, there they were again packed with extra hope -It helped me feel at home.
Some faces we're new and I could tell they were drawn by the irresistible pull of "Bulldogs Army on Tour" - It helped warm my heart the future was in good hands.
Some faces I'd seen once or twice - It filled me with happiness thinking "good, I'm glad they made it too".

So if you've come this far you're wondering :Yeah CK but how does that apply to me ?

Well I'll tell ya ....

Right now, in Rd 24 2016, our little Bulldogs boat is in a race to the line with other boats. If we're honest about our boat, it aint the fastest, it aint the sturdiest, and even though it's pretty sturdy to get the job done, it appears to be leaking. And now's not really the right time for leaking I know, but we got not other choice than (a) work with it, or (b) sink. If we take on anymore water, we may not beat the other boats.

We can't buy another boat now. We have to work with this boat. The last thing this boat needs right now, is thousands of people complaining about how much the boat sucks. If you hate the boat so much you wanna get off and swim to shore, that's fine. I'll see you next year with a new boat and we can try again then.

But right now, tonight ... with last years premiers led by the "great-one-we-let-get-away" JT, ask yourself ... Am I gonna help get this boat to the island in September or not ?

I'm urging you : THROW YOURSELF INTO THE CHALLENGE !!!

Defy the odds.
Defy the chorus of naysayers.
Defy the taunts of opposition.
Defy them all with a big f*cking middle finger and shit-tonne of blind faith !!!

If shit hits fan, and we eventuallly bomb out in September ... you can take away pride, loyalty, fearlessness and honour, as your legitimate fan badges. Nobody can ever tell you that you havent done the hard yards !

Win or lose tonight, we ARE playing finals footy - That's a fact.
What are you gonna do fellow -Kenneler ?

Who's standing at the front of this boat ?
Who's turn is it to hurry up and bail water from the drowning naysayers, so we can cheer solid for 90mins ???

If that's you, and you're taking it upon yourself to be that fan in the boat, I'm with you.

Screw the life-vests, we stay here until it either makes it the whole way or goes down, and we'll do it together.

Dogs by 8points tonight !!!
(*pelvic thrusts and leaves forum*)
I wasn't confident, for today till I read this, lets ride the cowgirls Dogs!!

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's the Cowboys that need to be wary of us tonight,not the other way around.Boys are pumped and ready to rock and roll tonight.
Been pumped up plenty of times before and ended up getting pumped especially last game vs cows with our full squad

Status
Not open for further replies.