News Canterbury look at shifting Burton to free up his running game

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good to see that Burton has said he didn't perform as he would have liked.
That's partly because of the standard of players around him. Partly because he is not suited to 5/8.
He also said he will play wherever the coach wants him. That position is whatever is best for the team.
If Sexton and Taafee stand up as halves, Burton should be moved to centre. He will have a feast running off Kikau or Preston.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burtons first season at 6 in FG was in 2022 season coming off the GF win with the panthers. His first season was with a new team half disabled. But seriously we had horrible players in key positions, he was coming into a new team with structures and his pre season was short, with in that first season at 6 it was a lot of chopping and changing within the spine and most of the squad actually and he actually was better then this season gone. Season 2023 burto had a shorter pre season due to the World Cup playing in the centres,with again a new coach new structures and new spine in the fb and dummy half then he was thrown into the captaincy roll with reed. Season started okay first 4/5 rounds then boom injuries to key players in key positions, the flopagain shit the bed miserably, middle of the season burto got shifted to 7 to run the side,which I find is his weak point which is to run the side. Saying all that the entire team struggled half way through the season for a number of reasons from being burnt out from carrying and doing rolls of other players which where injured, then you had the shit from training to hard and what not. I honestly believe burto is an elite 6 which will benefit from a halfback directing the team around and forwards laying the foundations and letting burto just pick his moments and run and utilise his big body, bit like Cody walker just run and use the players outside him. This is probably his first full preseason since his arrival, and yet we all forget his only 23yrs old and played 79 games in fg and 47 of those have been in the half’s. It’s way too early to give up on him being our long term 6 be patient with him lads. Stating the obvious but we desperately need props. And it pains me to say this but next season will be painful just as this season was.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally agree. Strikes me as someone u wanna just keep things simple with. Dont fill him up with truckloads of info and analysis and just get him out there playing second fiddel to a dominant halfback and inject himself as he sees fit. Dont put the pressure of leadership (which he isnt cut out for anyway) on him too and I think we will see his best footy. Unfortunately I think the hallmarks of Ciraldo-ball is information/complication overload which I dont think is in burtos best interest
Correct @04 Dreaming in your analysis of Burton. When we signed Burton I was so excited I thought we got the better of the two 5/8s they had.

Burton really began to thrive after Potter settled in as coach and he allowed a combination of Averillo, Burton, Flanagan, JMK and Docker Clay to develop. Burton was going well. Averillo, Flanagan and JMK playing their best in a Bulldogs jersey. JMK has since gone onto better things and I think the other two will as well. Potter was the ideal coach who didn’t fill his head and gave the others confidence. Once Potter wasn’t going to be retained we fell away. Exciting though with the hope there we see more of this.

As per your previous comments and again the person not the topic gets attacked. Every player tries to improve. What was concerning is they had to speak about his effort areas. Bellamy would never have to have spoken to Smith, Slater or Cronk about effort or setting the example just technical and tactics. Same with Bennett to Langer or Walters, Walters to Reynolds, Sheens to Meninga, Anderson to Lamb, Hasler to Ennis, etc they all set the examples and efforts. This is a club captain, marquee player and someone who wants this and that.

Burton said he do what’s best for the team where was that last year when two weeks in a row outside backs go down and Reynolds a 5/8 on the bench. They don’t put Reynolds on and ask Burton to fill a gap. They instead throw Topine to the wolves especially against Campbell Graham. Burton, Graham and Reynolds all protected. Topine cops the brutal and personal abuse.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
i feel like he left penrith to be a five eighth. if we move him to centres when he clearly wants to be a five eighth i doubt he’d stick around for much longer
Simple fact that is true that isn’t being said much yo
We should give him one final extended run so at least if he fails he understands he failed

PaxMaxi1980

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Totally agree. Strikes me as someone u wanna just keep things simple with. Dont fill him up with truckloads of info and analysis and just get him out there playing second fiddel to a dominant halfback and inject himself as he sees fit. Dont put the pressure of leadership (which he isnt cut out for anyway) on him too and I think we will see his best footy. Unfortunately I think the hallmarks of Ciraldo-ball is information/complication overload which I dont think is in burtos best interest
Yeah, he’s not a captains elbow. I’m never heard the term Ciraldo-ball before and I don’t have the necessary inside information on his coaching methods.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Doubt this would happen. .Matt will persevere at 6.