News Canterbury In Box Seat To Sign Connor Tracey From Cronulla Sharks

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happy to have Tracey. Not real happy about losing Gabrael though he looks to have a real promising future. In saying that both he and Kayal Iro prefer left centre so more backline positional issues for them in future. Be interesting to see if they finally have the balls to move Talakai.
It’s an odd move for Shark as they are flush for centres. Afaik M. Gabrael only plays centre, so we got a better deal in that respect. We got a proven first grader who could have easily been the first choice at fb or centre for Shark, and they got a young centre, which they already have plenty of.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
With Crichton at fullback and possibly Xerri as one centre, my guess is Tracey will be fighting for the other centre spot.

I don't mind an attacking line up of;

1 Crichton
2 JAC
3 Xerri
11 Kikau
12 Preston
4 Tracey
5 Kiraz

Always a Bulldog

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
When I read that we sent them a “young star” I was worried. When I read it was M. Gabrael, I was not so worried. You take a proven NRL quality player over potential every day. As we know too well with Alamoti, a good lower grades kid isn’t automatically going to be good in NRL. Gabrael came with hype from Parra but seemed to drop in the pecking order after a while. We have Samrani and others anyway.

Tracey again fits that mold of players Gusraldo are wanting. Tough and hard working. More great business by Gusraldo. Suffer in ya jocks clowns.
Really rate tracey, gun and lightning quick

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Connor Tracey’s deal with Canterbury is set to be rubber stamped after the Sharks and Bulldogs agreed to swap a rising star.

It is understood the Sharks have identified Michael Gabrael as the player they want from Canterbury in order to grant Tracey an immediate release.

Gabrael is an outside back who was on a development deal with the Bulldogs in 2024 before being promoted into the club’s top-30 squad.

The Sharks gave Tracey permission to talk with rival clubs, despite having 12 months left on his deal, because they were unable to guarantee him a starting position since Will Kennedy made the fullback spot his own.
View attachment 96123
Connor Tracey is off to the Bulldogs. Picture: Ian Hitchcock/Getty Images

Tracey told Cronulla he wanted to join the Bulldogs, despite significant interest from St George Illawarra.

The utility back will now sign a three-year deal with the Bulldogs and join a totally revamped backline from next season.

The move will give the Sharks close to $500,000 in available salary cap space, as well as securing Gabrael, who has been touted as a future star. The Bulldogs snatched the young centre from Parramatta’s pathway system and were reluctant to let him go after he was part of their SG Ball team in 2023.

Canterbury’s head of football Phil Gould was enthusiastic about Gabrael’s re-signing on Twitter in January saying “good kid this one” along with a picture of the teenager.

He played for City under-18s earlier this year against Country and was also part of Canterbury’s SG Ball team.

Tracey’s release from the Sharks has emerged just over a week after the Sutherland Shire club let key playmaker Matt Moylan out of his contract with 12 months to run so he could take up a deal with Super League club Leigh.
View attachment 96124
The Sharks have picked up Bulldogs youngster Michael Gabrael. Picture: NRL Images

The release of the pair from the club’s top-30 roster has opened up salary cap space for Cronulla, who could suddenly be one of several clubs to raise interest in signing New Zealand Warriors prop Addin Fonua-Blake.

Fonua-Blake was photographed meeting with Bulldogs head of football Phil Gould last week.
The move follows a similar path to the one the Sharks took last year with Lachie Miller. Cronulla traded the Knights for emerging prop Max Bradbury.

Tracey, 27, made his first grade debut for South Sydney in 2019 before becoming a regular starter at the Sharks in recent years. He played just 10 games this year after struggling to crack Cronulla’s back five.
View attachment 96125
Addin Fonua-Blake met with Phil Gould last week.

Tracey’s pursuit of the Bulldogs fullback spot will create immense competition for head coach Cameron Ciraldo. New recruits Blake Taaffe, Stephen Crichton, plus 2023 fullback, Hayze Perham, will also battle for the no. 1 jumper.

The Bulldogs have now added Crichton, Taaffe, Drew Hutchison, Josh Curran, Jake Turpin, Jaeman Salmon, Poasa Faamausili, Bronson Xerri and Kurt Mann.

The Sharks have also had talks with ex-Dragons forward Billy Burns about the back-rower joining on a second-tier contract.
Meanwhile, Nat Butcher has signed a three-year extension with the Sydney Roosters that will keep the back rower at the club until at least the end of the 2027 season.
If true, I just hope it doesn't cost us AFB.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Klemmer isn't quality. He didn't do much for Wests, and the fact he is being shopped around is a red flag.
Okay well look at it this way. Gus was prepared to offer SST reportedly 500k a year for 2 years. Klemmer is a better option than SST. Klemmer would give us another middle with similar output to King = massive for us given our prop stocks.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Surely if it comes off he takes the 1 jersey. Back up would have to be Taaffe. Would be dumb to have Critta anywhere but centre. Wilson shouldnt be back in the NRL. His hands are questionable. Guy needs to start in reserve grade and build his game if he is to get another crack.

Taaffe would be interesting to see him in the halves. I think he is probably more of a running half and has a decent shorter kicking game. Not sure he can be the controlling 7. But having Taaffe in the halves leaves a question over Burton. I wouldnt move him.... But maybe he goes to left centre? Critta to right centre with Fox and Kiraz on the wings, and wait and see what Xerri does?

I guess the upside is that there is competition for spots now in the backs and halves which we havent had for a while. Fair enough it might not be great quality but atleast its first grade quality. Better off then needing to pluck out park football players like Okunbor, Wilson, Casey, Hayze, Quai-Ward etc. Burns was the only quaility back up that we had and even he was always injured and not a first 13 selection at any club. We just need to tweak our middles and have a few kids knocking on the door for opportunity and we are slowly but more importantly on our way to climbing the ladder. Long long way to the top though.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It’s an odd move for Shark as they are flush for centres. Afaik M. Gabrael only plays centre, so we got a better deal in that respect. We got a proven first grader who could have easily been the first choice at fb or centre for Shark, and they got a young centre, which they already have plenty of.
Sharks are in a strange position ATM, have some good juniors and their premiership window won't really open until they are ready. For example wasting plenty of cap space on Katoa, Talakai and Kennedy could hurt them in the next 2 seasons when cheaper options in Dykes, Stonestreet and Iro are better than all 3 imo.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s a great signing in a vacuum. I would’ve preferred to sign 1-2 middles before this but okay.

I would be very comfortable with Tracey starting at fullback, even if it’s just to settle our edge defence with critta to start with.

If crichton starts at 1 this signing makes less sense to me and bodes very badly for Skelton again.

1. Crichton
2. Wilson
3. Tracey
4. Kiraz
5. Fox

I’m guessing this is how CC goes round 1, with Skelton and Xerri pushing for starting spots eventually.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It’s a great signing in a vacuum. I would’ve preferred to sign 1-2 middles before this but okay.

I would be very comfortable with Tracey starting at fullback, even if it’s just to settle our edge defence with critta to start with.

If crichton starts at 1 this signing makes less sense to me and bodes very badly for Skelton again.

1. Crichton
2. Wilson
3. Tracey
4. Kiraz
5. Fox

I’m guessing this is how CC goes round 1, with Skelton and Xerri pushing for starting spots eventually.
We will end up losing Skelton... Personally I'd like to see him be a 2RF bench option for us and come on to replace Kikau when required. If club intends to keep him in the backs, it's obvious we will lose him.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don’t see what the point of this is. He’s a good utility great how many do we want? Tracey is the ultimate “6 out of 10 in a number of positions” player.

Hope he proves me wrong but can’t see it

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If true, I just hope it doesn't cost us AFB.
Will come down to who AFB thinks he can be more successful with, even with this extra cap space Sharks have generated, we can still offer more than them imo. They have big cash tied up in Hynes, Kennedy and a few others.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
When I read that we sent them a “young star” I was worried. When I read it was M. Gabrael, I was not so worried. You take a proven NRL quality player over potential every day. As we know too well with Alamoti, a good lower grades kid isn’t automatically going to be good in NRL. Gabrael came with hype from Parra but seemed to drop in the pecking order after a while. We have Samrani and others anyway.

Tracey again fits that mold of players Gusraldo are wanting. Tough and hard working. More great business by Gusraldo. Suffer in ya jocks clowns.
Of course but look* at your name. InGuswetrust?

Isn’t that trust about the next generation? That’s what he has said
Tracey I liek but he isn’t Bradman best

Last edited:

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course but lol at your name. InGuswetrust?

Isn’t that trust about the next generation? That’s what he has said
Tracey I liek but he isn’t Bradman best
@Nasheed Didn't Gus say it's all about building pathways and we are a club of opportunity?

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Shame about Gabriel, Guess he was behind, Eli, Hary
With Crichton at fullback and possibly Xerri as one centre, my guess is Tracey will be fighting for the other centre spot.

I don't mind an attacking line up of;

1 Crichton
2 JAC
3 Xerri
11 Kikau
12 Preston
4 Tracey
5 Kiraz

Always a Bulldog
We were carved up on the edges last year for a number of reasons, experience being one. I read this as a move to put experience there. Taafe is also the biggest talker and presumably the best organiser, which CC values. The way I see it Tracey and Cricton will be in the centres. Finding the best combo with all our backs is going to be a massive headache. I am shocked the sharks let him go he is a gun and also shocked the tigers didn't sign him as he would slot straight in and solved a lot of their issues. Anyway I get:
1. Taafe
2. JAC
3.Tracey
4. Crichton
5. Kiraz

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Don’t see what the point of this is. He’s a good utility great how many do we want? Tracey is the ultimate “6 out of 10 in a number of positions” player.

Hope he proves me wrong but can’t see it
He won't play as a utility here. He'll be starting centre or potentially fullback if Critta fails there. Also this covers us if Xerri isn't ready round 1.