Canterbury coach Dean Pay brushes off salary caps woes to target 2019 NRL finals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just dont rate dean tbh some of his piss poor selections and horrendous bench rotations and certain players going backwards under him really concern me about the future under him
I too have the same concerns, so when the rebuild and Pay are mentioned in the same sentence I get an attack of the butterflies and a wave of uncertainty hits me but I find solace in the thought that Chris Anderson, Steve Mortimer, Warren McDonnell and hopefully Mark Hughes are involved in the recruitment and retention guiding Pay.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I too have the same concerns, so when the rebuild and Pay are mentioned in the same sentence I get an attack of the butterflies and a wave of uncertainty hits me but I find solace in the thought that Chris Anderson, Steve Mortimer, Warren McDonnell and hopefully Mark Hughes are involved in the recruitment and retention guiding Pay.
Feel the same. Pay could/should have sorted the players and best positions well before this. He is playing favourites without a doubt in Priest and lesser extent Lichaa (he dropped him but he isn't playing any better so why) and not playing unfavourites in Renouf and Brown and most supporters were seeing the potential in trying Lewis/Martin even last year. Dean's rotation policy is off kilter as well in most games and he hasn't remedied the constant right side defensive leaks.

Yes he has had a very hard and challenging first year...but...a guy in his position should be improving those issues that he does have influence over. He hasn't to this point. Doesn't help that his assistant coaches seem to be pretty average though.

He may drastically improve next year and start making the correct calls but it is not accurate, or fair to the club, to say that he has done the best that he can to this point or that he can't be judged now on what we've seen already.

We all wish him well and congratulate him for what he has done well but like the players, the coach is accountable.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Returning to finals footy next year?

LOL unless we have some superstars ready to be recruited that ain't gonna happen.

Rothfield has us billed at 10th to 14th next season and I reckon he's about right there.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Walking into this could be the best thing for Pay long term. Any coach can walk into a team with good players and look good but the lessons Dean is learning (the hard way too by the way) may just teach him 3-4 years worth of coaching in 1 year. I shake my head at some team selections like the rest of you BUT I will not judge him fully until he has a team worth being judged on.
This is actually very well said Grog, I think your absolutely correct.
Like it!

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This is a bigger concern than anything in regards to building this team.

Rising back-rower Rhyse Martin’s stocks have also increased with his recent form surge, which threatens to price himself out of staying at Belmore, where money is tight.

If we can't keep Martin, we are in a bigger whole than I thought.

WE MUST RE-SIGN HIM!!
Watching Johnny Sutton's press conference celebrating his 300th was asked the question " You have been here since the beginning of your career and you started when the bunnies were coming last, nobody wanted to play for Sth Sydney why did you stick it out ?"

His response, " I was just happy to be playing 1st grade footy, win or lose we were playing and eventually things changed, I won a premiership and im about to play my 300th"

A lesson for any kid coming through... Or you can just join the Roosters and get it in half the time.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Watching Johnny Sutton's press conference celebrating his 300th was asked the question " You have been here since the beginning of your career and you started when the bunnies were coming last, nobody wanted to play for Sth Sydney why did you stick it out ?"

His response, " I was just happy to be playing 1st grade footy, win or lose we were playing and eventually things changed, I won a premiership and im about to play my 300th"

A lesson for any kid coming through... Or you can just join the Roosters and get it in half the time.
100% the last paragraph lol

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Walking into this could be the best thing for Pay long term. Any coach can walk into a team with good players and look good but the lessons Dean is learning (the hard way too by the way) may just teach him 3-4 years worth of coaching in 1 year. I shake my head at some team selections like the rest of you BUT I will not judge him fully until he has a team worth being judged on.
Yep its easy when you walk into a side who is already going well and dont have any hard decisions to make about who plays. Pay walked into a team where most of the players arent terrible at all, but the mix of players we had wasnt right. And most of the cap was taken up by players not worth near their pay, due to Dessie's deals. Pay has worked towards fixing it. People have to be more patient. We had to get under the cap for next year with a few of the players released. Next we are building up cap space to be able to buy players. It will take longer the better the players we go after, coz they cost more.

Status
Not open for further replies.