News Canterbury Bulldogs recruit Franklin Pele relishing fresh start after 22-month absence

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury Bulldogs recruit Franklin Pele relishing fresh start after 22-month absence
The Sporting News Australia

Rugby league's biggest man and Canterbury's new version of 'Frank The Tank' will make his long-awaited return to the NRL this weekend.

Bulldogs recruit Franklin Pele - who stands at 190cm and tips the scales at a whopping 132kg - will line up in his new colours against Manly on Saturday, ending a 22-month absence from the top grade.

The 22-year-old prop made his debut for Cronulla back in May 2021 after coming through the lower grades with the club, standing out in the junior representative competitions and schoolboy footy at Endeavour Sports High.

Pele was unfortunately limited to just one first grade appearance with the Sharks, instead plying his trade for the Newtown Jets and dominating in the NSW Cup competition.

in the Shire and take on a new challenge at Canterbury wasn't a decision that came lightly for Pele, who is eager to cement himself in the NRL this year.

In an exclusive chat with The Sporting News prior to their Round 1 clash with the Sea Eagles, Pele opened up on his decision to leave Cronulla after almost a decade involved with the club and his transition to the new-look Bulldogs.

“A lot of my close mates [are there] and growing up in the Shire as well, it was extremely hard to make that decision," he said.

"But for me wanting to step out of my comfort zone and try be the best I can be, I think that was the right decision.

“I think maybe halfway through the season, my manager got a call from Gus [Phil Gould] and they were interested. We set up a meeting and it went really well, I was really happy with how it went.

"I ended up here not long after that, and with the Sharks, we left on good terms as well. They still wanted me there but I wasn’t going to let an opportunity get away from me and that’s how I ended up here at the end of the day.

"It’s been fairly smooth and a very happy transition coming to the club."

For a front-rower, Pele has compiled quite the highlight reel in reserve grade, showing off his speed and power with ball in hand on countless occasions.

After moving across from Auckland to Sydney at the age of seven, Pele has always been the biggest player on the field and while that has its benefits, the enforcer is aware of the downfalls of his size as well.

“I think the way the game is heading now, it’s getting a lot faster and it’s kind of hard for the big men to get into the game," he said.

"I definitely think fitness is going to be a big attribute that I want to work on, and being defensively sound and knowing my systems and where I need to be in the defensive line.

"Those are the things I want to work on, all those little one-percenters that go unnoticed most of the time – that’s where my big improvements need to be.

“I’m quite confident that if I can get better at doing those things, everything else during the season will come to me and hopefully I can play some consistent first grade."

Pele's only taste of the top grade came against the Titans almost two years ago, producing a 16-minute cameo off the bench in a 38-10 victory for the Sharks.

The lengthy absence from the NRL and being stuck behind a quality forward at Cronulla have only motivated Pele and fuelled the fire heading into the new campaign.

"It feels like so long ago now," he said.

"I had to bide my time in Cup for all of last year and I didn’t get the opportunity to play first grade, and 100 per cent I understood that.

"I took it as a way I can better myself in Cup and try stand out and try be the best player that I can be in that competition.

"I did well enough that I caught the eye of the Dogs and now I’m here with a different opportunity."

Canterbury boss Phil Gould recognised the talent and potential impact that Pele could have on the side, approaching the explosive forward and luring him away from the Sharks.

Not since the days of representative star and fan-favourite Frank Pritchard have the Bulldogs had such a scary forward in their ranks, with he modern-day 'Frank The Tank' likely to strike fear into opposition defences.

Pele's relationship with both Gould and new head coach Cameron Ciraldo have enabled him to get the best out of himself in the pre-season and earn a spot on the bench against Manly.

“Ciro and Gus have been really good – they’ve been there for me on a personal level and I’ve really appreciated that from them," he said.

"They’ve shown a lot of faith in me and a lot of belief. There’s a lot of healthy competition there and the way everyone has been training, it will be really hard for Ciro to choose that 17.

"It’s really competitive and everyone has been working hard and I’ve just been trying to learn off them just as much as the coaches as well

"Ray Faitala-Mariner has been awesome – he is our captain and he’s a leader on the field, but just as much off the field. He has been huge for me as well, especially coming to a new club and seeing new faces in a new environment.

“Everyone is going really well and everyone has connected on a deeper level than just coming in and training and playing.

"I think everyone is in for a huge year and I think our team in general will shock a lot of people."

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Pele might just take rfm"s starting spot down the track

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I loved Pele as a player the first time I saw him....he intimidated the fuck out of me and I'm just a supporter. I still remember Pele running of the back fence and sending Burns flying back from the impact. I was stoked when we signed him. Now it's up to Frank to make his stay in first grade a permanent one. Good luck big fella :grinning:

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m surprised it was so long ago since he played first grade, but with our not so great pack and missing several forwards through injury, he deserves a shot. He made a difference in both trials when he entered the game.