Canterbury Bulldogs Player Signings, Re-signings & Rumour Mill: 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Don't we all love the silly season when it comes to rumoured signings..

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Meanwhile, Reds centre Will Chambers' short stint in rugby may be coming to an end as he has been offered to NRL clubs for next season.

It is understood a party acting on behalf of Chambers has made overtures to several clubs, including Canterbury.

Chambers has endured a difficult season at the Reds, having spent most of it on the bench.

Reds coach Ewen McKenzie was in discussions with Chambers but unaware of any possible return to rugby league.

"That's the first I have heard of it," McKenzie said. "He's at the end of a two-year contract. He's entitled to look at his options."
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...or-james-oconnor/story-e6frg7o6-1226051450229

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
he is the captain for brisbane easts in qld cup, from the highlights i have seen he is playing really well too!
Correct. Playing alongside a couple of other former dogs lower graders in Isaac Kaufmann and Matt Minto.

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Due to the source, doubt its true, but DT says we have offered hopoate 1 million for 3 years. I hope not. Where are we honestly going to play him? Surely you wouldnt spend 300 000 on a winger...

P

Paint.

Due to the source, doubt its true, but DT says we have offered hopoate 1 million for 3 years. I hope not. Where are we honestly going to play him? Surely you wouldnt spend 300 000 on a winger...
centre?

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
what? and make lafai want to leave after all the hype it will be his? we need to keep our juniors! they always leave. we keep 2 juniors and thts it. jamal and barba. all the others arnt given a good chance.

MAD DOG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
what? and make lafai want to leave after all the hype it will be his? we need to keep our juniors! they always leave. we keep 2 juniors and thts it. jamal and barba. all the others arnt given a good chance.
make that 1.... sorry to be the one with the bad news but jamal is gone too

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Not really.

Lafai replaces Idris.
Hopoate replaces Goodwin.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not really.

Lafai replaces Idris.
Hopoate replaces Goodwin.
The problem with playing Hopate on the wing is the amount of ball he will get (and quality ball at that). Playing fullback he is getting 20+ carries a game, running 160+ meters and running at staggered defense when returning the ball. On the wing he will get 10-15 runs with the defense in his face (wont get the opportunity to run around the back as he usually will be getting the pass off the centre). He will also need to defend in the front line.

What he does now is 20+ runs, 160+ meters, 4 or 5 tackles a game, and sets up 2 tries a game with sweeping runs. On the wing he will get less quality ball, less carries, less meters and will be confined to one side of the field.

He is a quality player and will make an impression where ever he plays, but to get the best out of him he needs the number 1 on his back (even though he has been playing fullback with the number 5 in recent weeks :p). The fullback jersey is not available at the dogs however with barba. Will dogs pay 1 million over 3 years for him at centre? Only time will tell.

CBDog

In the Zone
Reaction score
If the rumours and hype is true. $400k a season for a winger?.No way!. - What did Tallis call wingers?.........guys that hang around footballers.
Take Barba's spot at fullback?....no way, he is there to stay. Will not make a return to halves unless injury crisis.
IF we end up signing him I would like to see him in the centres with Lafai and Morris to the wing.
Lett or Turner to go.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Hopoate will put plenty of size on in the next few years = back row

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Forgetting Tim Browne as well, who once back to fitness will push for a first grade spot.

Definitely rate him over all our forwards in NSW Cup including Taupau.
You must get a huge boner talking about Browne don't you

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
FFS we are after Hopoate to replace Idris.

Simple.

Not Barba.

Not Goodwin.

Right Centre.

Where he prefers to play.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Well according to the NRL gossip page on Facebook it says that we want Hopa and have offered what someone said earlier and there are also rumors that the Roosters are chasing Goodwin and have made an offer for him. If we get Hopa that is much better then Chambers, Reddy, Champion etc. But it's still all paper talk and we gotta see what happens.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Reddy = Rubbish. Please, people talk up his defence. Please refer to his performance V Cooper last week.

Chambers - Solid buy. Wouldnt pay more than 180 - 200 k for him. Lafai is still the better option IMO

Champion - Big whatever for me. Let the titans offer him over 400 k. Cause he aint worth it

Hopa Jnr - Kid with potential. Potential being the word that cannot justify the sort of offers flying around

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Yeh agreed, over 300k a year is way too much at this time but well see what happens, I kinda hope he stays loyal to Manly in a way

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Apparently we wan't to play him on the left wing, replacing Goodwin.

Status
Not open for further replies.