Canterbury Bulldogs great George Peponis says referee standards are driving fans craz

Status
Not open for further replies.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
[h=1]Canterbury Bulldogs great George Peponis says referee standards are driving fans crazy[/h]
George Peponis, one of Canterbury's favourite sons and NSWRL chairman, wants the Bulldogs supporters who hurled missiles at match officials after their team's Good Friday loss to South Sydney banned from attending football games for life but said the standard of refereeing over the last 18 months had left fans seething.
Peponis, who captained the Bulldogs and Australia in the 1970s and '80s and is the chairman of the Canterbury Leagues Club, stressed he does not condone the madness that followed full-time at ANZ Stadium but he figured the wild scenes proved fans have pent-up frustration with the current standard of referees and video refs.
"Everyone who threw a bottle should be banned for life," he said. "I don't condone it and my heartfelt sympathy goes out to the official [Darren Alchin] who fractured his scapula when he slipped over. I wish him a speedy and full recovery on behalf of all sincere Bulldogs supporters and NSWRL supporters and officials. But I think it highlights the supporters' frustration over this year, and the last 18 months, about the refereeing standard which is appalling – as far as I'm concerned.
'People are being absolutely frustrated': George Peponis Photo: Getty Images

"Not only that, I think the video referees are probably worse. I mean, how many times this year have [you asked yourself] 'are we seeing the same thing the video referee is seeing?' We see things and ask, 'how could they possibly rule that way?'"
Advertisement

Peponis said his view of the refereeing standards do not apply to last Friday's match, in which Canterbury captain James Graham was widely condemned for the way in which he berated referee Gerard Sutton after he was penalised for cannoning into Rabbitoh's half-back Adam Reynolds' legs as he tried to kick a last-gasp field goal.
Peponis, who captained the 1980 grand final-winning Bulldogs, said while he believed Graham's collision with Reynolds was accidental, the penalty was warranted because he'd made contact with the kicker's legs.
"I'm not talking about [the refereeing performance in the Canterbury-South Sydney] game. Forget that game. But there were a few other games earlier in the year where we can highlight it and say 'well, that was a definite try, how could they rule it a no try'? I think people are being absolutely frustrated by the standard of, not only the referees, but, in particular, the video referees. [The video referees] have no excuse – they see what we see! How can they get it wrong?
"And [while] I think that frustrates the fans, what [James] Graham and [David] Klemmer did was unacceptable; I think what the fans did was totally unacceptable but I think the standard of refereeing is appalling, too."
Peponis said his views on the way in which the NRL has become bogged down by onfield officialdom was exasperated after he watched a game televised from England over the weekend.
"I watched Hull KR play and there was one referee, limited video refereeing and the game flowed," he said. "The crowd just went with whatever was called. Watch a game [in the NRL] your team scores a try, everyone wants to jump up and down [and celebrate] but they have to go to the video referee and all of a sudden the 40,000 people are deflated as they wait a minute-and-a-half for the video referee to go through 15 different angles of the same thing and when they finally make a call, if it's positive, the crowd is deflated because the moment has past."
One of the controversies to come out of the match was Josh Morris being placed on report for leading with his boot in trying to prevent Issac Luke from scoring.
Former leading referee Greg McCallum, who resigned last year after serving for a decade as chairman of the NRL's match review committee, said even though Morris had escaped an appearance before the judiciary it was likely he'd be warned not to lead with his feet again.
"With those dangerous contact charges you have to make contact with your foot [to be cited], just putting your foot there doesn't necessitate a charge," he said. "It's not a good look and the rule was changed in 2008 because some people were leading with their feet.
"Those boots make it very dangerous, if you were to make contact on the face [of an opponent] where there's very little protection for the player [the end result could be terrible]. I would imagine that the match review committee would be taking it up with [Canterbury]."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-are-driving-fans-crazy-20150406-1mffw9.html

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He obviously just said the actions of graham and klemmer were unacceptable so he doesn't seem to bias and keep the focus on the shit refs. Smart move

Malla

Reaction score
Ding ding ding. Absolutely correct. The standard of refereeing, the constant change of rules and the excessive use of the video ref is driving the fans nuts. I know it annoys the crap out of me. It's the key reason why fans are turning away but the NRL will choose to ignore this. They would rather continue to protect the ref's, and focus on pointless sh!t such as reducing the interchange. The match on Friday was probably one of the best and most brutal games of league I have seen in a while, and it was ruined by the refs. We do not need a reduced interchange and that is a perfect example of why.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
He obviously just said the actions of graham and klemmer were unacceptable so he doesn't seem to bias and keep the focus on the shit refs. Smart move
Um their actions were unacceptable, especially Klemmer's.

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Peponis you champion!

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well said.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its ridiculous that 5 officials cannot pick up a simple knock on (Robbie Farrah yesterday) . These type of errors really frustrate fans. Imagine how the players feel.

Kiwidog77

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
finally someone with commonsense :boldgreen

KimboSlice

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
George speaks sense.. Very good article and probably a viewpoint that non-Bulldogs supporters would engage with and approve of.. Like it or... This has turned into a PR opportunity, possibly good or bad for the club.

He does the PR thing well, because he discusses the Reynolds penalty and says it was the correct decision (to the letter of the law, it is a penalty, intent doesn't matter, the legs got taken out..), he then says that Graham and Klemmers actions were unacceptable (even though they were voicing what every dogs fan was thinking.. and in my case, screaming in their loungeroom). Which is what most non-bulldogs supporters are screaming about!

He then says, disregard Friday's game.. and brings into the spotlight the bigger issue, which is the poor refereeing regardless of Fridays game, and particular the video refs, which is something every supporter can identify and relate to!! I don't know how the NRL can gag players and coaches regarding the referees and expect the referees performance to improve, they have effectively removed any public accountability for one of their major stakeholders (the clubs). To me it is the NRL administration trying to eliminate any chance for public comment on match officials actions and is treading dangerous waters as it could (if not already, according to some) open up the game and administration to corruption.

George has done a sensational job! He is a pretty high ranking official in NSWRL and he speaks sense!! I think this article cites that we did do the wrong thing, but the larger issue is the NRL administration and poor refereeing performances! Something that i think all rugby league supporters could agree with.

We have some pretty amazing administrators at our club, its just a shame that in trying to show his impartiality, that Greenturd seems to target us as though he has a vendetta.. tool bag..

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Um their actions were unacceptable, especially Klemmer's.
With every action there is a reaction. The actions of the incompetent and corrupt refs lead to the reactions we saw in that match and after the game. Nrl needs to take the same amount and even more of responsiblity at what happened. Refs don't make purposely lose there's no blow up by graham or klemmer. But it was so obvious the refs/nrl wanted rabbits to win. And that's just not on.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
With every action there is a reaction. The actions of the incompetent and corrupt refs lead to the reactions we saw in that match and after the game. Nrl needs to take the same amount and even more of responsiblity at what happened. Refs don't make purposely lose there's no blow up by graham or klemmer. But it was so obvious the refs/nrl wanted rabbits to win. And that's just not on.
How the **** was it obvious they wanted Rabbits to win? We had a megaton more possession and field position. We had far more chances to score than the Rabbits. If they didn't want us to ein we would not have been on top all game and have so many chances. Stop talking shit.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Already the trolls are out on the SMH website finding ways to be offended at what Peponis has written. At present, any comment that comes from the club will be dissected and twisted to suit the biases of those who love a good story of bad behavior by the club and its fans. Their selective memories are wonderful things.

indmand0707

Waterboy
Reaction score
The player and crowd frustration stems more so from the video referee interference. Its absolutely ridiculous that the video referee interferes whenever there's enough of a stoppage in play. We aren't bloody watching cricket !

What if Reynolds wasn't injured? The referees were letting play on. The video ref got involved because of the injury stoppage. How can a multi million dollar game have officiating that is determined by the length of the stoppages?

Let the on-field referees and touch judges make the calls in regards to obstruction, foul play, restarts etc. If they are wrong, so be it...... If they miss something, so be it. The video referee's involvement should only be to decide on whether the ball was grounded for a try.

Get back to officiating the game the way its meant to and with less stoppages.

Rant over !!!!

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Already the trolls are out on the SMH website finding ways to be offended at what Peponis has written. At present, any comment that comes from the club will be dissected and twisted to suit the biases of those who love a good story of bad behavior by the club and its fans. Their selective memories are wonderful things.
So true. Watch them ask for him to be fined $10k for having the audacity to make a comment on the real blight on the game.

KimboSlice

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The player and crowd frustration stems more so from the video referee interference. Its absolutely ridiculous that the video referee interferes whenever there's enough of a stoppage in play. We aren't bloody watching cricket !

What if Reynolds wasn't injured? The referees were letting play on. The video ref got involved because of the injury stoppage. How can a multi million dollar game have officiating that is determined by the length of the stoppages?

Let the on-field referees and touch judges make the calls in regards to obstruction, foul play, restarts etc. If they are wrong, so be it...... If they miss something, so be it. The video referee's involvement should only be to decide on whether the ball was grounded for a try.

Get back to officiating the game the way its meant to and with less stoppages.

Rant over !!!!
Good rant!

Or on the flipside, we would have been awarded a penalty if JMoz had failed over at the kick off and clutched a part of his body from being pushed in the back... the game (or video ref) rewards theatrics nowadays, i don't like it one bit!

indmand0707

Waterboy
Reaction score
Good rant!

Or on the flipside, we would have been awarded a penalty if JMoz had failed over at the kick off and clutched a part of his body from being pushed in the back... the game (or video ref) rewards theatrics nowadays, i don't like it one bit!
Exactly.... they are encouraging all of this because of the video ref involvement. Seriously apart from every second try going to the video ref, they are checking on every player that stays down, they are checking to see if its a 40/20, they are checking to see who touch the ball last before its gone out...... Just make the call and lets all move on!

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ding ding ding. Absolutely correct. The standard of refereeing, the constant change of rules and the excessive use of the video ref is driving the fans nuts. I know it annoys the crap out of me. It's the key reason why fans are turning away but the NRL will choose to ignore this. They would rather continue to protect the ref's, and focus on pointless sh!t such as reducing the interchange. The match on Friday was probably one of the best and most brutal games of league I have seen in a while, and it was ruined by the refs. We do not need a reduced interchange and that is a perfect example of why.

Yes, Yes, Yes.
The game was ruined by the ref - can't bring myself to watch replays and I didn't watch another nil game all easter

Really hate being taken prisoner by the vid ref - can't enjoy the moment anymore while we wait for some fool to re-play re-play re-play to tell us the obvious.
Or, too often, to screw it up.

The nrl is ruining the fun.

wyongguy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with George, what Klemmer and Graham did was unacceptable and under the rules of the game the penalty was warranted. I couldn't imagine a young player acting that way when Peponis was captain and I couldn't imagine him blowing his top like that as Captain. Hopefully both players learn from the experience. I also agree that there are a lot of decisions that leave people shaking their heads, especially from video refs.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed what they did was over the top.

But 4 and 3 week suspension over the top???

Status
Not open for further replies.