Canterbury Bulldogs coach Des Hasler not feeling pressure, expecting new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
CANTERBURY coach Des Hasler remains confident he will ink an extension to stay at the Bulldogs, despite the intense scrutiny placed on him in the past week.

The club’s board will meet on Thursday, just hours before the side’s massive clash with Brisbane at ANZ Stadium, and it’s expected Hasler’s future will be high on the agenda.

Hasler has long been pushing for a two-year deal to stay at the club, however the pressure has ramped up on the veteran coach since Saturday’s 36-0 flogging at the hands of Manly.

But, undeterred by the talk, he insisted he wanted to stay at Belmore after taking the side to every finals series since his arrival in 2012.

“We’re working through that and hopefully have it ratified pretty soon,” Hasler said.

“The board have been really supportive over my tenure. We’re very well resourced here. We’ve just got to win some footy games.

“I’ve been here five years and put a lot of hard work, as have others, into the club. And built quite a good outfit here. I definitely want to stay here.”

Live stream the Bulldogs’ round five clash with the Broncos on FOX SPORTS. Get your free 2-week FOXTEL PLAY trial and start watching in minutes. SIGN UP NOW!

The Bulldogs have won just one of their past eight games, in a streak dating back to the end of last season, and are 13th after just one victory in the opening month.

And while Hasler accepted that such media scrutiny was just “part of the game”, he argued it was unfair to take into account his record at the end of last season.

“It’s a pretty boring stat and it’s one that’s thrown up all the time,” he said.

“We just lost our way with possession at the end of last year. But that’s last year, I think that’s been done to death.”

Hasler put last week’s performance down to a “bad day”, but said he had been impressed with his side in the opening three weeks.

The two-time premiership coach has seen his football department slashed by what he labelled “budget cuts” over the off-season.

His long-time assistant Kelly Egan and recruitment boss Noel Cleal were among the departures, but Hasler said it had “fairly little impact” on the side.

Likewise, he wasn’t concerned about the potential impact that the mounting speculation, or Thursday’s board meeting, would have on the Broncos clash.

“It’s not an issue,” he said. “It’s pretty well removed.

“It’s not going to have any impact on the 34 players who go out there and play on Thursday night.”

The Bulldogs have lost halfback Moses Mbye to suspension for a shoulder charge for the Brisbane clash, with debutant Matthew Frawley named in his place.

The former Canberra under-20s captain has travelled with the side in recent weeks and is seen as a well-equipped organiser, a different style of player to the explosive Mbye.

“He’s been training well,” Hasler said. “He’s ready for this moment, it’s his chance, he’ll step up.”

Brad Abbey will also take over goalkicking in place of Mbye. Meanwhile the eighth-placed Broncos are unchanged from the side that beat Canberra 13-12 last Friday.

STATS THAT MATTER:

— The Bulldogs have the worst attacking record in the NRL, with 54 points.

— Brisbane have won five of their past seven against the Bulldogs.

— Anthony Milford, who plays his 100th NRL game on Thursday, is averaging five tackle busts per game — his highest of any season.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 more years! If you can't beat them, join them! I guess!

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
ofcourse you want to stay here, who else would pay you 1 million dollars a season?

specially when your team has the worst attack in the comp after 4 rounds.
Yeah! I honestly can't work it out! Not sure, I guess that's why the board and CEO are in the positions they're in because they see things differently to how we see it!

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, yes forget about last year, forget about the last couple of years, forget about last week.

The important thing to focus on is Des's new contract, must make sure that meets all Des's needs.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
There is so much wrong with what Hasler says.

My gut feel is he's already signed and the board are trying to work out how to announce it.

He feels he has assembled a good squad. If every player in our team was off contract who would be signed elsewhere. Which team would take Jmoz, part time Hoppa, Brenko Lee, Reynolds (clubs have been able to negotiate with him since November), Tolman, Eastwood amongst others.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is all Des trying to force our hand. He is usually so secretive about everything it's no coincidence now he is being so open about contact talks. He can play the media when he wants to.

Minion

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Like many people in high positions or places, it's all about the money! Actual results don't matter. If the team was playing good footy and getting beaten by better teams that would be ok, but the coach and team serve up this boring tripe every week and it leaves the fans with no hope of improvements.
Des: "Give me the money and I'll say good things to take the pressure and attention off myself"

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
How funny Mr stats didn't like the negative stats that point out his failings lol

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Did anyone see the small article in the SMH about 5 Admin staff resigning at the Dogs in the last 6 weeks. Titled 'Office Dogs gone' on page 43

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
How funny Mr stats didn't like the negative stats that point out his failings lol
Agree 100%, only likes certain stats in his favour, the rest should be ignored.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
“I’ve been here five years and put a lot of hard work, as have others, into the club. And built quite a good outfit here. I definitely want to stay here.”

Hasler put last week’s performance down to a “bad day”, but said he had been impressed with his side in the opening three weeks.
Says it all.

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
“We just lost our way with possession at the end of last year. But that’s last year, I think that’s been done to death.”
Possession? This bloke is possessed with possession. Fml

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I really respect Hasler but when he claims that we simply played poorly at the back end of last year due to 'poor possession', he's kidding himself.

There were games where we had at least 80% completions and decent possession rates yet we still lost and looked like bumbling 6 year olds in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.