2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
CEO of billion-dollar tech business steps up at Bulldogs as chairman departs
Michael Chammas

ByMichael Chammas
February 16, 2024 — 4.01pm
Save

Canterbury chairman John Khoury has confirmed he is stepping down from the role after four years at the helm.
Sources with knowledge of the situation, talking on condition of anonymity in order to speak freely, confirmed data analytics expert Adam Driussi, the co-founder of billion-dollar business Quantium, will be elected to replace him.

Knights coach signs long-term deal

Play video
0:21

Volkanovski riles up UFC rival at wild presser

Canterbury sources told this masthead there is no animosity between Khoury and his fellow directors, and he will remain on the board.
Khoury will formally announce the changes and unveil the new chairman at Sunday’s annual general meeting at Canterbury League Club.
Advertisement

“Throughout my tenure as chairman, our board has always maintained a club-first mantra leading with actions and this is something I have always lived by,” Khoury told this masthead.
“I am very proud of what I achieved in my role as chair across all facets of the club and I have always believed in succession planning. We have a succession plan in place and we are fully committed to seeing that plan through.
Bulldogs CEO Aaron Warburton and chairman John Khoury in the stands.

Bulldogs CEO Aaron Warburton and chairman John Khoury in the stands.CREDIT:GETTY
“What everyone needs to know is that this is a unanimous decision. I will very much remain a dual director of both the football and league clubs of which I am very proud of. It’s sad to see news emerging ahead of the AGM and my planned update. I remain as supportive as ever of the Bulldogs and I will make my announcement as intended on Sunday.”
Khoury has overseen a tumultuous period in the club’s history, taking over from predecessor Lynne Anderson after she and her two most trusted directors Paul Dunn and John Ballesty all resigned at an extraordinary general meeting in 2020. Khoury brought Driussi onto the board in 2022.

Advertisement

Driussi is an actuary and co-founded data analytics business Quantium, whose client list has included Woolworths, Commonwealth Bank, Telstra, Walmart and Qantas. In 2021, Woolworths acquired a 25 per cent stake in Quantium for $223 million.
Driussi spoke to this masthead on Friday afternoon but would not be drawn on the changes on the board. However, he said any suggestion of unrest at board level was off the mark.
Quantium CEO Adam Driussi is taking over as chairman at the Bulldogs.

Quantium CEO Adam Driussi is taking over as chairman at the Bulldogs.CREDIT:DOMINIC LORRIMER
“John has done an outstanding job building a stable board where we are all close friends,” Driussi said.
“The notion that there are rival factions within the board or disharmony within the board couldn’t be further from the truth.”
Advertisement

There were concerns that a rival ticket would nominate to run for the board at the AGM, but the directors will be re-appointed unopposed.
Canterbury are in the midst of a rebuild under coach Cameron Ciraldo who, together with general manager Phil Gould, have begun turning over a roster that has underperformed in recent years.
RELATED ARTICLE
Bob McCarthy, Mick Cronin, David Gillespie, Ricky Stuart and Nathan Cleary.
NRL 2024

The Bulldogs have welcomed three-time premiership winner Stephen Crichton from the Penrith Panthers, while also luring Connor Tracey (Sharks), Blake Taaffe (Rabbitohs), Jaeman Salmon (Panthers), Josh Curran (Warriors), Drew Hutchison (Roosters), Kurt Mann (Knights), Jake Turpin (Roosters) and Bronson Xerri (drugs ban).
The Bulldogs scored an impressive 24-12 win over the Melbourne Storm in their first trial match at Belmore on Thursday night.
Advertisement

Xerri, in his return from a 1615-day exile due to his drugs ban, scored a try, while fullback Taaffe made a strong claim to the No.1 jersey.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I stepped down as Chair of the Australian Railway Historical Society. Like Khoury, I remained on the board, but I decided that progressing the society needed a new Chair with new ideas; and we had people more qualified than me to choose from. It was done without any ill will or resentment - my choice; and it was the right thing to do.

Maybe Khoury is doing the same.

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So was Khoury pushed out?

Ive seen khoury at a few juniour league games, he seems friendly, shakes peoples hands etc, or are bulldogs looking for more hardcore business people to run the club?

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Khoury is staying on the board, and he is the one who brought Druissi in and made him deputy chair. Anyone who is serious about a job like Chairman of the board for a club like the Bulldogs knows that they have only a certain amount of time to be truly effective, and that they longer you stay the less effective you become. Seems like a smart move to me. Enough said, get on with it.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Khoury is staying on the board, and he is the one who brought Druissi in and made him deputy chair. Anyone who is serious about a job like Chairman of the board for a club like the Bulldogs knows that they have only a certain amount of time to be truly effective, and that they longer you stay the less effective you become. Seems like a smart move to me. Enough said, get on with it.
Barry Nelson lasted a long time

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
News got to spin it first, so some of that will stick around in people's heads, but this is pretty much a non issue. OK, so we don't know how this new gazillionaire will go yet, but everyone else on the board supports him so there's no reason at all to get bent out of shape about it.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
News got to spin it first, so some of that will stick around in people's heads, but this is pretty much a non issue. OK, so we don't know how this new gazillionaire will go yet, but everyone else on the board supports him so there's no reason at all to get bent out of shape about it.
You believe it was all that?

I wrote on this page ages ago Khoury was one vote away from no longer being chair.

Khoury had two options jump or lose a ballot.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The club had become all about two people and not the actual club itself. These players like Hayward, Papalii, etc were around long before our current chairman and GM them two take all the credit. The North Coast Bulldogs partnership was formed when Andrew Hill and Lynne Anderson were around and all NRL clubs have been assigned a region. Eli Clark has been with us since Hill was CEO. It's been made out to be about two people before the club itself.

Canterbury has always had strong juniors, strong pathways, strong systems. We've lacked the NRL component of the club. The most important part of the club.

A lot of deals have been done to prevent elections in the past. When the EGM signatures got put together one of the three new directors was a very firm Dib ally. When the two directors were removed not long after the Barrett coach sacking when Paul Kent called them fan boys they were replaced by another Dib ally and what seemed to be a neutral in Druissi.

When you all cheered no nominations for the board I said they didn't need to challenge as Khoury was one vote away from being ousted as chairman. One too many deals to prevent elections cost Khoury the job from within.

I predicted there wouldn't be a board challenge and predicted Khoury wasn't safe as chairman as one director clearly being Druissi who wasn't in a faction had chairman ambitions and now aligned himself with a faction. This meant Khoury was one vote away from being ousted. The Khoury faction was Mortimer, Thomas and Gifford. One of them has given Druissi the numbers to be chairman.

What's interesting is how quick Gould changed from being a 1-2 partnership with Khoury to now supporting Druissi lilke Khoury never existed. Gould backs the winning team.
1708067667766.gif

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Morrison is now leaving federal politics.
You’re suggesting the Sharks #1 ticket holder will join the Bulldogs board? C’mon Polly…

Such a move would thrill the lefties on here.

On the upside, Morrison could nominate himself Chairman, CEO, COO, GM of Football and Coach. Imagine the cost savings :-).

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Funny enough Psycho, the most clueless people are the ones who are making up all sorts of rumours and assumptions.
I'll say this about John Khoury, he breathes lives dreams and loves the Bulldogs, he sacrificed a lot for the club and the reason he was involved was to guide us back to where we belong...Thanks for a job well done JK !!!

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You’re suggesting the Sharks #1 ticket holder will join the Bulldogs board? C’mon Polly…

Such a move would thrill the lefties on here.

On the upside, Morrison could nominate himself Chairman, CEO, COO, GM of Football and Coach. Imagine the cost savings :-).
After all he is multi talented :grinning:

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Said before i would like you all to stay on topic or else would risk a ban. We have one goal and that's supporting this great club.

Any further infractions on this thread not staying on topic will follow suit.

I feel like JK wanted to step aside so we could focus on the next phase of our great club, hopefully we still see him around the club at some capacity.

Hotdog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Said before i would like you all to stay on topic or else would risk a ban. We have one goal and that's supporting this great club.

Any further infractions on this thread not staying on topic will follow suit.

I feel like JK wanted to step aside so we could focus on the next phase of our great club, hopefully we still see him around the club at some capacity.
Can’t Polly provide just one more antidote on the Whitlam years?

Reecek89

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This has Gus written all over it. He done a job but I don’t think Khoury is a strong chairman