Official Canterbury Bulldogs 2024 NRL Draw

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've never bought into that either. Sure, some sides get those dreaded 5 day turnarounds, and/or long travel etc, which sucks, but at the end of the day, over 24 odd matches, if you're good enough, you're good enough.
Exactly. Every year teams improve and decline, so theres no way of knowing how good the teams you will face throughout the year will be playing well or not. And this year we have no 5 day turnarounds, so that's a big positive as far as im concerned.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
We cant play more rounds, the heat each end of the season makes it hard to make it earlier start or later finish. Also players cant play more rounds than now, its a hard game physically. The NRLs idea is to add more teams to get more games over the same amount of rounds we have now or close. Only way they can get more games. They need 18 teams so they actually play more games every week. Not sure why they went for 17 with a break until the 18th comes, all it does is screw around with supercoach having byes every week lol.

NBA can play all year coz its indoors. And its less physically taxing. Teams play pretty much all year and multiple times a week.
Don’t know that NBA is much less physically taxing - maybe in terms of collisions but by god you’ve gotta be fit to play hundreds of 48min games over a season. True re: weather. My main point with NBA though was imagine the complexities of putting that draw together if fans are disgruntled by something a fifth of its size!

Also agree re: NRL plan to increase game volume but they need to be careful - there’s already a thinning of the talent pool and back in ‘95 when they went from 16 to 20 teams well we all know how that ended don’t we.

And yeah, an odd number of teams is, er, odd. The AFL plan to do the same with the Taswegians. I guess slow and steady expansion is the only way to do it.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like 6pm Friday games TBH (5pm here in QLD until day light savings ends).
Same here. I'm home by a bit before 5 so it's perfect. Then again, it could stuff up a few weekends pretty early.

I don't mind the draw, apart from 2 away games to start. There's only 1 game out of Sydney in the first 10 rounds, and the first bye is nicely placed. Might as well see how our middles can stack up against Paulo and RCG straight up! All games are hard for us anyway, wherever, whenever and whoever. It's just fingers crossed really and the draw doesn't change anything.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i’m not sure, i have foxtel so i definitely don’t do it makes no difference to me, but the difference in terms of how many are free to air being us with 6 free to air games and south’s who have 14
I only watch channel when we are forced to for origin and grand final. Even that much is an absolute punishment haha. Although I do switch to 9 when the games finished for the interviews and stuff. Cause can’t stand listening to Yvonne and the boring fox panel

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still need to hear a better explanation than traditional rivals playing on fixed dates etc. as to why a full round cannot be played before you play any team twice. Then the team you play a second time coincides with the team you played in round 1. Etc.

It’s never going to be fair not playing every team twice. But you need to come up with something better than the Roosters need to play St George on Anzac Day. Because it’s been a tradition for 22 whole years to get me.
Even if they are desperate for these modern day traditional games to be played. There is nothing stopping these being put into a full draw at the correct week.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I still need to hear a better explanation than traditional rivals playing on fixed dates etc. as to why a full round cannot be played before you play any team twice. Then the team you play a second time coincides with the team you played in round 1. Etc.

It’s never going to be fair not playing every team twice. But you need to come up with something better than the Roosters need to play St George on Anzac Day. Because it’s been a tradition for 22 whole years to get me.
Even if they are desperate for these modern day traditional games to be played. There is nothing stopping these being put into a full draw at the correct week.
Whilst you or I may not place much credence in "traditional dates for derbies" for many supporters it is a real thing. It may just be the history of it, a tradition or some family association etc, but they do care. I know my dad and his army buddies used to catch up for the same game at the same time each year.

Leaving that aside there is the issue of ground availability, not all NRL grounds are available all of the time. Many grounds are used for multiple purposes, not just RL but other sports, concerts, etc. Also SOO interrupts the schedule and currently byes also impact a smooth schedule. Then of course there is the stupid magic round, FMD what a deadshit idea that is.

Since we don't play everyone twice it's not as easy as the second round simplistically copying the first round. The second round schedule has to be very different to the first round..

I don't like the draw as a whole, but it is done by a professional Canadian sports scheduling company, so I can't see any bias or hidden agenda being possible.

Always a Bulldog