News Canterbury Bulldogs 2021 NRL season preview: New signings key to reigniting club’s fortunes

Bulldogs fan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Bulldogs need to experiment in 2021 then in 2022 we are contenders I don’t think we can make The 8 in 2021 unless it’s a miracle. 1st of all we need to see we’re averlillo is going to play, then the bench and give the rookies a go in first grade then in 2022 we go for the title

Go dogs

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I know it’s impossible to tell how accurate their salaries are but having close to $2million invested in Napa, Jacko and DWZ isn’t great at all.
Agree but it’s not all bad mate. Jacko would be getting the long serving player allowance towards the cap and Napa is in his last contracted year.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keeping expectations low and hopefully reasonable in 2021.
We were a bottom team in 2020 And we’re going into 2021 with:
No top level hooker.
No top level 6.
No proven fb.

If we make the 8, it will be a big achievement.
Go Dogs.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Keeping expectations low and hopefully reasonable in 2021.
We were a bottom team in 2020 And we’re going into 2021 with:
No top level hooker.
No top level 6.
No proven fb.

If we make the 8, it will be a big achievement.
Go Dogs.
Do you honestly think Lichaa, Mbye and dopey dope Reynolds were top level in their respective spine positions when we made the 8 in 2016?

I actually wouldn’t be surprised if we make 7th or 8th in 2021. Up to Barrett to get the best out of them. Also wouldn’t be surprised if we miss the 8 also. It’s a bit of an unknown going into 2021.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And then he g9es and puts RFM on the bench. He lost all credit in my eyes after that!!!
Crap I missed that too. Maybe I should read the friggin article first before I reply but yeah you're right, RFM was our biggest attacking weapon this year so he has to start. Also, I wouldn't bet on Napa being in the starting side so let me just take back my original comment...the journo is a moron.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you honestly think Lichaa, Mbye and dopey dope Reynolds were top level in their respective spine positions when we made the 8 in 2016?

I actually wouldn’t be surprised if we make 7th or 8th in 2021. Up to Barrett to get the best out of them. Also wouldn’t be surprised if we miss the 8 also. It’s a bit of an unknown going into 2021.
I'm sure Journo's don't study our players like most of us fans, so they make up a team with players they are aware off and guess their positions.
I take any team picked by Journo's with a grain of salt.

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I know it’s impossible to tell how accurate their salaries are but having close to $2million invested in Napa, Jacko and DWZ isn’t great at all.
Leadership group.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think C. Smith is decent (a little underrated), I think he'll be unlucky to miss out. I'd like to see Waddell (edge) and Stimson (middle) on the bench at least for the start of the year (over C. Smith). I do think C. Smith is a smoky for the lock rotation role off the bench tho.
Did you see him play has hands like hekka nani chris is a myth

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Did you see him play has hands like hekka nani chris is a myth
All I can say is re-watch the games he was playing this year (not many due to injury) and last year, I just don't agree and I think he's the second best ball playing lock at the club after Elliott (I think people have unfairly criticised these 2 specifically). I don't think he's good enough to be in the starting 13 but I have no issue with him being a benchie or at the club for depth, the least of our worries.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
All I can say is re-watch the games he was playing this year (not many due to injury) and last year, I just don't agree and I think he's the second best ball playing lock at the club after Elliott (I think people have unfairly criticised these 2 specifically). I don't think he's good enough to be in the starting 13 but I have no issue with him being a benchie or at the club for depth, the least of our worries.
We will agree to disagree i think hes rubbish

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
We will agree to disagree i think hes rubbish
I agree he isn’t in our best 17. I think he’s got some skills and footwork but Jackson & Elliot will likely play big minutes and he’s not an impact player you can carry on the bench. The way RFM finished the season last year he certainly doesn’t deserve less minutes for C Smith and then you got to factor in Waddell who Baz seems to have plans for, Stimson to get another crack and the young fellas coming through such as Doorey, No room for C Smith that I can see.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree he isn’t in our best 17. I think he’s got some skills and footwork but Jackson & Elliot will likely play big minutes and he’s not an impact player you can carry on the bench. The way RFM finished the season last year he certainly doesn’t deserve less minutes for C Smith and then you got to factor in Waddell who Baz seems to have plans for, Stimson to get another crack and the young fellas coming through such as Doorey, No room for C Smith that I can see.
My tip is waddell will surprise alot on here tall second rower in the shaun lane mould ,also id have matt dorey before c smith

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just my opinion but I think some of us get fooled into thinking players are good when they aren't, because we're used to having shitty players lol.

I find myself getting tricked too. Smith, Holland, Montoya and the like are BOG AVERAGE. We were so crap for years, I'd see them do a few good things and think they were pretty good lol. I tried to tell myself Montoya was a good hole runner, or Holland has good attacking stats LOL. They're rubbish. Smith is meh.

JMK is another one of these players who people see do a good run here and there or defend well in the middle, and they think he can be good. Average.

Last edited:

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
My tip is waddell will surprise alot on here tall second rower in the shaun lane mould ,also id have matt dorey before c smith
It may just be pre season optimism but also the feedback from training and the new recruits coming on board.. plus more to come...and the new coaching staff.. I feel like a few will surprise people this year. Waddell has the attributes for a gun edge back rower. I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Agree both Roosters and Panthers wouldn't have passed on him if he was any good.
Depends what you mean by good. C. Smith will be replaced by Topine/Doorey and Stimson will get first shot over him for the final bench position, but that doesn't mean he's a bad option on the bench or as a depth option. I don't think anyone said he was good if we're talking about starting in the 13. I don't think he's as bad as others are saying tho. If a player that can't crack the 13 somewhere sees an opportunity at another club where he potentially can, they move on. It's pretty difficult to crack into the Roosters second row/lock and depending who was there at the Panthers it was probably a similar scenario.