**Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs: A Crisis in Leadership and Culture**

Canterbury FC

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
July 2, 2023

Following another disappointing performance against a side that was only just one place ahead of the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs on the NRL ladder, troubling questions about the leadership and future of the team have emerged. The Bulldogs, traditionally one of the most successful and prestigious clubs in the National Rugby League, now find themselves in a precarious position, due largely to what appears to be a clear disconnect between coaching staff and players.

Coach Ciraldo, the man at the helm of the floundering team, continues to evade responsibility, often delivering vague answers that don't directly address the team's shortcomings. Despite the team's deteriorating performance and the visibly frustrated fan base, Ciraldo maintains an air of denial, blaming possession issues and unfavorable referee calls.

The issue here, however, is much deeper. As the former defensive coach of the Penrith Panthers, Ciraldo was expected to bring a fresh defensive outlook to the Bulldogs, but instead the team is now languishing at the bottom of the league, with the worst 'for and against' statistics. There seems to be a distinct lack of defensive structure and efficiency, two fundamental aspects of rugby league that seem to be eluding the Bulldogs at every turn.

Even more disconcerting is Ciraldo's assertion that the "culture" of the club is to blame for their on-field performances. This raises the question: what exactly does culture play in performance on the field? Is it not the responsibility of the coaching staff and the team to shape that culture, irrespective of external circumstances?

Ciraldo's comments have drawn criticism and concern from fans and pundits alike, pointing to a leadership style that comes across as short-sighted and delusional. Instead of owning up to one of the club's worst losses, Ciraldo, along with Mahoney have yet to take any clear responsibility. Their failure to do so has only added to the frustration of fans, who are growing increasingly disillusioned with the direction of the team.

The problems at the Bulldogs are undoubtedly multifaceted. It's not just about the coaching staff, but also about the overall culture within the team. There is a sense of entitlement and lack of accountability that is permeating the playing group and the leadership alike, breeding a toxic atmosphere that is no doubt influencing their on-field performances.

Fans who have stuck by the team through thick and thin deserve better. The booing from the crowd during their latest defeat is a clear signal of dissatisfaction with the status quo, a call for change that cannot be ignored.

Today, the Bulldogs stand at a crossroads. If the current trajectory continues, the future looks bleak. It is high time for a shakeup at the top, a rethink of the club's approach to culture and leadership. Otherwise, the risk of becoming a bottom feeder team for many years to come becomes an all too real possibility.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Falling on deaf ears as far as I can see.
After 70+ years as a fan, I couldn't be bothered to piss on them if they were on fire.

I'd be happy to see the club kicked out of the comp, so I can sleep at night not worrying about how bad next weekend will be.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After 70+ years as a fan, I couldn't be bothered to piss on them if they were on fire.

I'd be happy to see the club kicked out of the comp, so I can sleep at night not worrying about how bad next weekend will be.
My god it’s sad to see a great 70 year fan like yourself reduced to statements like these.

I hope we turn it around soon for you but sadly I can’t see it happening under the current regime. We’ve just got it all wrong

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Who wrote the article?

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meanwhile the tigers are copping it in the media we are a bigger basket case at the moment the promise,the build up, “the big signings” WE should be the ones bashed in the media for where we are and these performances we are a shambles and I feel we are the worst team in the comp

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Meanwhile the tigers are copping it in the media we are a bigger basket case at the moment the promise,the build up, “the big signings” WE should be the ones bashed in the media for where we are and these performances we are a shambles and I feel we are the worst team in the comp
To be fair tigers added more….

Api, Bateman, Papal’i, Klemmer? I no doubt forget a few.

Like us injuries fucked them too though.

Yanni Gogolak

Kennel Established
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding repetitive.. omg we need some big hard working defensive forwards. Our pack is too small and always out-muscled. The number of post contact metres we concede is diabolical, and sets us up to lose almost every game.....

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be fair tigers added more….

Api, Bateman, Papal’i, Klemmer? I no doubt forget a few.

Like us injuries fucked them too though.
Yeah a few good stars in an overall average squad think ours on paper is still a lot better

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Parts of it, what does changes at the top mean? It’s pretty simplistic. What’s it saying get rid of Gus? Get rid of JK. Not sure that puts us in a better place.
I take it as getting rid of the assistant.

The Fan

Waterboy
Reaction score

Couldn't agree more. While I haven't been around as long as you, I have been supporting the club through five decades now and have finally had enough this year. I am just waiting for the game to die so I don't have to care anymore.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Culture doesn't make goody footy team. A good footy team makes good culture. CC has, like many others, accepted the culture, leadership, theories espoused over the last thirty years. They are crap!
First rule of good culture is never talk about culture. It's like marketing, the worse the product the better the marketing needs to be, but product doesn't get better. Good product or good footy team, marketing looks after itself.