Camping

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone from here into camping I'm looking to get back into it am preparing for zombie apocalypse.

Am looking at black wolf tents maybe coleman or oztrail (10 person) will be more at camping site as im with wife and kids any recommendations or tips has been 20 years since I went camping.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I got a Black Wolf Turbo 300 (3x3m) Canvas last year.
Goes up in 2 minutes, packs down in 5, can add pieces to the awning to make an enclosed area.

Best part was they RRP for $1k-$1200, got it in May for $600 from a BCF flash sale so keep an eye out and you can get them for a decent price

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Black wolf are pricey. Oztrail and coleman should do the job fine. Better to have a bunch of 2-3 person tents rather than one big one.

Tent = 5% of camping.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anyone from here into camping I'm looking to get back into it am preparing for zombie apocalypse.

Am looking at black wolf tents maybe coleman or oztrail (10 person) will be more at camping site as im with wife and kids any recommendations or tips has been 20 years since I went camping.
I'm not sure on tents and the difference in quality between brands, so I don't have useful advice there. I have a swag and a two man tent as a contingency for poor weather since I try to spend most days out and about on camping trips. I'm single though so don't have to consider what anyone else will be doing through the day. The swag is pretty much just my sleeping quarters and the tent is handy if it rains so I have more room to ride out the rain comfortably. And call me soft if you want, but a decent air mattress is also something I wouldn't go without anymore.

But if money isn't an issue with this I'd seriously consider looking into a camping fridge. I've always used an esky with camping trips which generally means there's meat on day one and then fish (if I'm lucky) and tinned food beyond day one. They're not cheap though. But with a family to feed it might make it a more pleasant trip if you've got the ability to keep food and drink cold beyond the time it takes ice to melt. I also have a gas double hotplate which is pretty helpful if you get stuck camping in poor weather. I do like cooking over a fire, but again I'd look at having a backup plan unless you'll always be camping where there's a kitchen for public use. That usually means going to somewhere that's not hugely adventurous and often crowded.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Goes up in 2 minutes, packs down in 5, can add pieces to the awning to make an enclosed area.

Best part was they RRP for $1k-$1200, got it in May for $600 from a BCF flash sale so keep an eye out and you can get them for a decent price
Wow times change, I remember we had a 6 man canvas tent that took 8 people, including 2 engineers, 3 days to put up. I swear I could hear the fish laughing at us trying to erect this thing. Don't camp anymore as the wife's idea of camping is 4 stars.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wow times change, I remember we had a 6 man canvas tent that took 8 people, including 2 engineers, 3 days to put up. I swear I could hear the fish laughing at us trying to erect this thing. Don't camp anymore as the wife's idea of camping is 4 stars.
Yeah it's an absolute game changer. Put the corner pegs in, then the whole thing goes up through one hub that connects all the poles.

Feet up, line out, fully unpacked within 20 minutes.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Make your own shelter from twigs and vines, it'll be more fun.

or rent a fresh carcass like Bear Grills and live off the land!!

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I went will black wolf tuf tent 10p not those fast tents peace of mind can get strongs winds here in WA I had no idea was like that. Takes 30 minutes to put up.

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Black wolf are pricey. Oztrail and coleman should do the job fine. Better to have a bunch of 2-3 person tents rather than one big one.

Tent = 5% of camping.
Was between oztrail and blackwolf I ended up with blackwolf was actually cheaper than the oztrail clearance sale. I went with 10p tent will have 4 people plus space in middle for what ever.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Got the oztrail tourer 10 plus I think it’s called
Canvas with ripstop, absolute cracker
Sets up piece of piece
Never got wet
Hold up in extremely strong winds
Reccomend it

Got an oztrail Mitchel double swag
(Dome)
Never been wet in that thing once and had many on storms hit it
Prolly not the absolute easiest dome swag to set up but by no means is it hard

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You guys intentionally choose not to sleep @ home on your bed?...

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure on tents and the difference in quality between brands, so I don't have useful advice there. I have a swag and a two man tent as a contingency for poor weather since I try to spend most days out and about on camping trips. I'm single though so don't have to consider what anyone else will be doing through the day. The swag is pretty much just my sleeping quarters and the tent is handy if it rains so I have more room to ride out the rain comfortably. And call me soft if you want, but a decent air mattress is also something I wouldn't go without anymore.

But if money isn't an issue with this I'd seriously consider looking into a camping fridge. I've always used an esky with camping trips which generally means there's meat on day one and then fish (if I'm lucky) and tinned food beyond day one. They're not cheap though. But with a family to feed it might make it a more pleasant trip if you've got the ability to keep food and drink cold beyond the time it takes ice to melt. I also have a gas double hotplate which is pretty helpful if you get stuck camping in poor weather. I do like cooking over a fire, but again I'd look at having a backup plan unless you'll always be camping where there's a kitchen for public use. That usually means going to somewhere that's not hugely adventurous and often crowded.
Yeah will be camping at site first might get more adventurous down track wife and kids have never been before so baby steps last time I went proper camping I had a hammock off the ground and tarp thrown over rope. Some nice spots along the west coast think I will start from bottom and work my way up the coast.

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the oztrail tourer 10 plus I think it’s called
Canvas with ripstop, absolute cracker
Sets up piece of piece
Never got wet
Hold up in extremely strong winds
Reccomend it

Got an oztrail Mitchel double swag
(Dome)
Never been wet in that thing once and had many on storms hit it
Prolly not the absolute easiest dome swag to set up but by no means is it hard
I thought about the oztrail lumos but ended up with blackwolf tuff 10p (steel poles) winds here can be strong I've seen carport awnings on top of roofs I had a trampoline in backyard was blown from one side of yard to other.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I thought about the oztrail lumos but ended up with blackwolf tuff 10p (steel poles) winds here can be strong I've seen carport awnings on top of roofs I had a trampoline in backyard was blown from one side of yard to other.
Yeah mine are steel, 1 in middle that goes into sqaurish looking halo
Then one at back
Solid as feck

Black wolf good stuff, won’t go wrong there mate

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah will be camping at site first might get more adventurous down track wife and kids have never been before so baby steps last time I went proper camping I had a hammock off the ground and tarp thrown over rope. Some nice spots along the west coast think I will start from bottom and work my way up the coast.
Camp somewhere close to shops (10 min drive) with good facilities (hot showers as a minimum). Food is easy - bring a bbq gas stove or portable pizza oven (gas) and go nuts cooking whatever. Forget about that tinned food shit. Not camping in an arab desert.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Cost between $0 - $40 a night for family of 4 and fits in back of car water front views is not bad very relaxing.
Eww. I'm like a mozzie magnet, I ain't sleeping outside ffs.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Camp somewhere close to shops (10 min drive) with good facilities (hot showers as a minimum). Food is easy - bring a bbq gas stove or portable pizza oven (gas) and go nuts cooking whatever. Forget about that tinned food shit. Not camping in an arab desert.
The luxury of a hot shower is nice on a camping trip indeed. But the downside of camping in some places with these type of facilities is that you aren't really getting close to nature in most cases. You're basically just a step closer to the beach or whatever with thinner walls and less privacy than at home.

There's nothing better than waking up somewhere and seeing some wildlife and few if any people.