Cameron Smith touches ref

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Storm captain Cameron Smith touches referee during Anzac Day win

MELBOURNE skipper Cameron Smith could come under scrutiny from the NRL’s match review committee for a 64th minute incident with referee Matt Cecchin.

Late in the game and with Storm leading the Warriors 34-0 at AAMI Park, Cecchin got a little too close to the ruck with Melbourne in possession.

As Smith moved in to clear the ball he was forced to place both hands on Cecchin who was standing almost directly behind the tackle.

The incident wasn’t picked up on-field at the time but Smith could well be found with a case to answer if the MRC determines.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...n/news-story/8400d1eb91e6e663c7423d1a25dd2c80

Ref will come under scrutiny for allowing body to touch the Australian captains hands.

KelpiesHuskies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He should be made to front the judiciary like Klemmer had to do.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
You see it's crap like this which has made me lose interest in rugby league.
What is wrong with the refs? Aren't they gay? You would think they'd enjoy it when other men touch them?

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Its the worst rule since RL was invented

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is wrong with the refs? Aren't they gay? You would think they'd enjoy it when other men touch them?
Exactly this.

Of course Smith shouldn't be suspended. Neither should JT have been, neither should Klemmer have been.

I'm all for coming down like a ton of bricks on a player physically intimidating a ref, but there's a huge difference between bullying officials and the slightest touch to get their attention. This is all counter-productive.

a) It pisses fans off
b) It makes refs earn less respect when they are put on such a pedestal that they can't even be touched in even the most minor of ways.

I'm just disappointed James Roberts accepted his charge too. I'd have liked to have seen him fight it and, hopefully, be cleared.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This has become a major issue since the NRL itself decided to make only certain incidents actionable because of the fact they were plainly seen. Touches happen in every game, every week and we only ever see a few of them bought to light because of media attention. There is a massive difference between a forcible touch and an accidental one. Additionally the manner in which a player approaches a referee can be a factor; are they going towards him complaining about a decision and in an intimidating manner?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly this.

Of course Smith shouldn't be suspended. Neither should JT have been, neither should Klemmer have been.

I'm all for coming down like a ton of bricks on a player physically intimidating a ref, but there's a huge difference between bullying officials and the slightest touch to get their attention. This is all counter-productive.

a) It pisses fans off
b) It makes refs earn less respect when they are put on such a pedestal that they can't even be touched in even the most minor of ways.

I'm just disappointed James Roberts accepted his charge too. I'd have liked to have seen him fight it and, hopefully, be cleared.
Rugby league is a contact sport and is played at a fast pace, so accidental contact is inevitable, especially more so now with one of the referees standing closer to the ruck more of the time compared to the old one ref days.

And I think we all do agree that if a player intimidates a referee of touches him force-ably he should be out of the game.

But it appears where a lot of will differ in opinions is in the areas between those two.

I personally don't think that a player should touch a referee to get their attention. I just don't consider it to be necessary, and would not be tolerated in most sports that i can think of.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Rugby league is a contact sport and is played at a fast pace, so accidental contact is inevitable, especially more so now with one of the referees standing closer to the ruck more of the time compared to the old one ref days.

And I think we all do agree that if a player intimidates a referee of touches him force-ably he should be out of the game.

But it appears where a lot of will differ in opinions is in the areas between those two.

I personally don't think that a player should touch a referee to get their attention. I just don't consider it to be necessary, and would not be tolerated in most sports that i can think of.
But the problem is some players get charged and some don't that's the problem consistency is what everyone wants.
What's that Penrith players name that copped 1 week for touching the ref?
He didn't deserve that.
Let's see what would happen to cam smith .

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
But the problem is some players get charged and some don't that's the problem consistency is what everyone wants.
What's that Penrith players name that copped 1 week for touching the ref?
He didn't deserve that.
Let's see what would happen to cam smith .
I haven't seen the Cam Smith footage yet.

I agree there is a lack of consistency - but "consistency" is something that isn't always easy to achieve either. So much is subjective.

One thing is for sure, now that the refs/judiciary have said they will make an issue of it (touching refs), the scrutiny will continue, and a lot of people are going to have differing opinions.

Gives us something to talk about :grinning:

...EDIT: have now seen the footage (didn't see the link above).

I think Smith doesn't have a case to answer. Play the ball was the main priority and the hooker has to get to the play.

This is quite different (but no more or less serious) to Klemmer's incident.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
I haven't seen the Cam Smith footage yet.

I agree there is a lack of consistency - but "consistency" is something that isn't always easy to achieve either. So much is subjective.

One thing is for sure, now that the refs/judiciary have said they will make an issue of it (touching refs), the scrutiny will continue, and a lot of people are going to have differing opinions.

Gives us something to talk about :grinning:
True I still think it should be a black and white rule touch the ref your out for a week .

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
In soccer you see the players "touching" the refs all the time, rugby league refs need to harden the funk up!

The only time it should be an issue is if the player is going out of his way to cause GBH to the referee! And if that is the case you just simply ban them from playing rugby league for the rest of their life!
Really is it that hard?

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In soccer you see the players "touching" the refs all the time, rugby league refs need to harden the funk up!

The only time it should be an issue is if the player is going out of his way to cause GBH to the referee! And if that is the case you just simply ban them from playing rugby league for the rest of their life!
Really is it that hard?
They're not allowed to .maybe it's up to the ref if he wants to take it further

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
the rule is because , they enjoy it too much, LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.