News Burton supports young stars as Bulldogs release Flegg champions

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo has named eight players from last year’s Jersey Flegg championship team for the practice match against Melbourne at Belmore this week. This includes Eli Clark at the centre position and others in key positions, such as Harry Hayes and Luke Smith as backrowers, Joash Papali’i as fullback, and Jack Todd and Lipoi Hopoi as props. Joseph O’Neill, the Flegg captain and halfback, as well as winger William Afualo, will also take part.

It’s pivotal to note that all these emerging players have been part of the Bulldogs‘ training program since they played in either the Harold Matthews (under-17s) or SG Ball (under-19s) teams. As clubs like Canterbury start to focus more on junior development, retaining their prime talents becomes a challenge.
This is an issue Matt Burton, having spent his early years in Dubbo before being picked for Penrith’s squad and winning an NRL title in 2021, is all too aware of. Due to a salary cap issue at Penrith, Burton was drawn to Belmore with a three-year agreement. Burton is determined to ensure Canterbury’s best young players don’t follow his example.

He explained, “When the juniors finish their footy and are presented with other opportunities, it’s always tough. It’s crucial to retain development players in your club.” He further emphasised the importance of nurturing home-grown talent and encouraging them to remain one-club players.

Burton, coming from rural origins himself, endorses Panthers Group CEO Brian Fletcher’s proposal for the NRL‘s 18th team to be based in the country NSW, rather than the Pacific, Papua New Guinea or Perth. He believes it would revitalise the game in rural areas and provide more avenues for young talents.

Burton is set to play with new recruit Drew Hutchison on Thursday night as part of the halves combination. “He’s a senior player and new addition. His active participation has stirred the halves spot and he’s delivering his best,” Burton said.

Bronson Xerri, who received a four-year doping ban, makes a return at the centre position, marking his first match since 2019. Burton commented, “Coming back for him is about mastering the fundamentals and maintaining his physical conditioning.”

Also joining the new lineup are Jaeman Salmon, in the no. 13 jersey, and prop Poasa Faamausili who will play off the bench. However, new signings Stephen Crichton and Connor Tracey are not included in the list for the match.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Joseph O’Neill
Joash Papali’i
Lipoi Hopoi
Jack Todd
Harry Hayes

Those 5 are all good enough to be future starters for the NRL team if we develop them properly. Hopefully they dominate NSW Cup this season.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks Gus is no good for our club go follow another sport
Only a retard would spend years and money building up your own players right? We need flanagan to over pay for Leilua and RFM that would fix the problems :p

Long way to go but will be rewarding when we get there. And no better person to get us there, I mean his last 2 teams finished 1st and 4th last season.... But I am sure he had nothing to do with them because he was gone hey :sweatsmile::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks Gus is no good for our club go follow another sport
The cream is rising to the top, in a few years we are seriously challenging for a Premiership let alone the top 8…. We can thank two people 1. John Khoury for his relentless persistence of getting Gus onboard 2. The man himself, Gus.

The fact the salary cap changed leading to all the top teams securing their best assets made his job even more challenging, but his goal was always to build from the ground up focusing on junior pathways (tick) and with limited talent available in the market, he’s had the foresight to bring in competitive men with genuine NRL experience as mentors - genius.

Our pups looked a class above what Melbourne had to offer…. That’s a very good sign.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t hahahaa !!

CCC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I like Burton… but f’uck I wish he doesn’t conduct any interviews
I’m off him. Thought he had potential but he runs on an angle (or just runs himself) and “shovels” an offload to Xerri running him out of space. He is not a ball player as far as I can see. The young pups looked like much better ball players (although at the back end of the game with loose defence)

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He isn't very smart.
I'm actually starting to think that's the reason he isn't dominating in the halves.
The bloke is just really dumb.
All the talent in the World. Size has helped him so far in his career and now his biggest challenge is finding the drive and determination to be the dominating player that a spine player must find in NRL.

At this stage it doesn't look 100% certain that he will fire up sufficiently to handle the playmaking responsibilities of spine 5/8, or inspiring captain, either.

Very accomplished centre most likely his future if he can't find the consistent effort and succesful transition to 5/8 the team desperately needs to improve it's ladder position towards finals appearances.

Hope he does find the motivation to step up into both roles.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The whole reason we bought the established hard head first graders is so they can also mentor the young fellas coming through. We also dont need to rush them if we get injuries
So true mate, it’s laughable the people on here want to bag all of the new signings as not elite but it’s the attitude/culture/mindset that they all bring which is the key ingredient that will help us climb out of the hole we have been in, but people just don’t get that.