Burton is a half

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we're happy to let our 900k running half just be a link man?

I watched the 2019 NSW SOO with Burton and Taafe in the halves to mainly sus out Taafe D. What i saw was a Burton who i would choose over Cleary... Yeah that fukn good! Setting up tries and line breaks through kicks, short balls, long balls, offloads and scoring tries with his running game... Untouchable, MOM, crazy good.

The main difference between 19 yr old Burto and 23 yr old Burton... Energy. Energy he brings on an inconsistent basis.

Oh and Taafe, good with ball, hides in defence.
His covering tackle on young didn’t see him hiding…he has improved defensively and is the last line of defence in this side. Think if our best side is out there he is in it as half.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
An elite 5/8 can close out games. Munster did exactly that.
Not convinced people are saying 24 year old Burton is as elite as 30 year old, on a perennial contender, QLD/AUS five-eighth, Cameron Munster.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
His covering tackle on young didn’t see him hiding…he has improved defensively and is the last line of defence in this side. Think if our best side is out there he is in it as half.
It was a bueatiful covering tackle but i assure you there is a massive difference between tackling hard running backrowers rowers and centers front on and tackling as a FB.

In regards to hiding, its a term used for example a HB shifing to the edges, center/wings to avoid contact and being targeted by the bigger bodied runners. As i was saying, he did that in the under 20's, so we can assume he will struggle defending in the front line against full grow adult men.

In sayinv that Taafe is a goer, he throws his body around but i honestly dont think he will last too long in the front line and will becoe a massive liability.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a bueatiful covering tackle but i assure you there is a massive difference between tackling hard running backrowers rowers and centers front on and tackling as a FB.

In regards to hiding, its a term used for example a HB shifing to the edges, center/wings to avoid contact and being targeted by the bigger bodied runners. As i was saying, he did that in the under 20's, so we can assume he will struggle defending in the front line against full grow adult men.

In sayinv that Taafe is a goer, he throws his body around but i honestly dont think he will last too long in the front line and will becoe a massive liability.
Hard to argue against u when he was just knocked out. But are r we seeing higher turnover of halves across the board. I think this “utility project” might work for us. They all might get a go at half back.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burton isn’t elite 6
But he’s the best 6 at Belmore
He will become an elite 6 in the coming years, there is no doubt about it rather he wont be that if he Fatrells it one week and Cleary's it the next then back to Fatrell the week after.

Been doing it for too long, kids needs to start rocking up every week and bringing his trick bag for the 80.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Hes def not a goalkicker. A good goalkicker can kick goals from both sides of the posts.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hard to argue against u when he was just knocked out. But are r we seeing higher turnover of halves across the board. I think this “utility project” might work for us. They all might get a go at half back.
Would like to see if Mann can do the job... he and Hutch can swap roles.

Mann at 7, Hutch at lock.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
And that’s the comment I agreed on. Then with all the soft cocks on here imagine the complaints Munster would cop for his game Friday and he’s being paid 1.2 million ?
You still haven't answered either.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The bombs are rubbish, I wish he'd cut them out completely. But he had a few nice grubbers for repeat sets and had a nice chip kick for Fox that got in behind the defence.

He's shown at times he has a nice variety of kicks. He just doesn't use them often enough. If he got rid of the bomb so often, I think he'd become a much better all round player.
Perhaps Ciraldo wanted to keep things simple early on with the kicking. It's not great in attacking terms, but let's us move up in defence less desperately if there's hang time. It's up to our players to outcompete their opponents on these high balls. But if we can have a reasonable number of players moving up ready to defend, it hopefully pins them in their end to start their set.

But I agree. As a defender if you have to prepare for a bomb pretty regularly it's a simpler task than facing a kicker that might unleash a few different options.

But I think the confidence within the squad is good. Coulda, woulda, shoulda been cheering that we're on three successive wins vs Bunnies, Chooks and Melbourne. But we did better these last three games than it expected. A tiny bit of luck, some better refs calls, better goal kicking and better composure at key times might have us reserving finals tickets. Even these close losses will give the team belief that they can win if they just remain composed.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You still haven't answered either.
He was talking about Friday night. Of course we would want Munster rather than Burton. But only one team is that lucky In the league and they pay a premium.
Burton is an $850k player probably our highest paid player but he’s on nowhere near the elite players money in the NRL. Imagine the complaints on here if we had a Ponga or a Moses when they have a dud every second game. Burton plays well and he still cops it here the noise would be even more unbearable

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Oh and Taafe, good with ball, hides in defence.
We don't know this in the front line.
At the back, maybe that's true (maybe not) but ideally, if we're doing our job as a team, our fullback gets to "hide" in defence all game (and we get a Titans-style shut-out).

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We don't know this in the front line.
At the back, maybe that's true (maybe not) but ideally, if we're doing our job as a team, our fullback gets to "hide" in defence all game (and we get a Titans-style shut-out).
I also don’t think Hutch is this defensive guru everyone says he’s in the team for.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
He was talking about Friday night. Of course we would want Munster rather than Burton. But only one team is that lucky In the league and they pay a premium.
Burton is an $850k player probably our highest paid player but he’s on nowhere near the elite players money in the NRL. Imagine the complaints on here if we had a Ponga or a Moses when they have a dud every second game. Burton plays well and he still cops it here the noise would be even more unbearable
He doesn't justify his price tag. He is 150k away from elite money, but his performances are 700k away from elite.

WHEN he does play well it gets acknowledged in game day threads, IE when he actually runs the ball. When he doesn't that gets acknowledged too, it's just that he has more dud moments than good moments.

Nobody wants to fail as we haven't got anyone to replace him with, not yet.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He doesn't justify his price tag. He is 150k away from elite money, but his performances are 700k away from elite.

WHEN he does play well it gets acknowledged in game day threads, IE when he actually runs the ball. When he doesn't that gets acknowledged too, it's just that he has more dud moments than good moments.

In time unless Burton clicks I fully expect our kids to be in the halves. Hutch is just an experienced NRL player filling the gap till the kids are ready.

My point was that the whinging on the TK would be worse if we had a really expensive ‘elite’ half who didn’t show up on game day.

Not everything is doom and gloom. CC has the boys playing 80 mins and if we had a competent halfback we would be 4-2 not 2-4. This squad will scare teams this season and we are far from the finished product

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
In time unless Burton clicks I fully expect our kids to be in the halves. Hutch is just an experienced NRL player filling the gap till the kids are ready.

My point was that the whinging on the TK would be worse if we had a really expensive ‘elite’ half who didn’t show up on game day.

Not everything is doom and gloom. CC has the boys playing 80 mins and if we had a competent halfback we would be 4-2 not 2-4. This squad will scare teams this season and we are far from the finished product
Plus our defence has improved big time from last year having players that actually want to play for us.

Johnnny2233

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Burton is playing a lot better confidence within his side he looks it too good on him cause he is a all class player

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Are you saying that Burton should be on $150k?