Burton is a half

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Burton wasn't perfect tonight but he's really come on the last three games. Even his defence is a lot better than last year. He had some nice grubbers and chip kicks tonight. He's developed a great combo with Kikau. And that cut out pass to Fox was sexy.

Anyone who still doubts whether he's a half or not or still thinks Hutch or Sexton are better options has no clue.

I hope Burton keeps improving, keeps proving the doubters wrong and is at the club for many more years as he has a tonne of potential that he's only scratching the surface of. Clearly he's a confidence player and it's good to see he's finally found his..

DFLWatto

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Burton wasn't perfect tonight but he's really come on the last three games. Even his defence is a lot better than last year. He had some nice grubbers and chip kicks tonight. He's developed a great combo with Kikau. And that cut out pass to Fox was sexy.

Anyone who still doubts whether he's a half or not or still thinks Hutch or Sexton are better options has no clue.

I hope Burton keeps improving, keeps proving the doubters wrong and is at the club for many more years as he has a tonne of potential that he's only scratching the surface of. Clearly he's a confidence player and it's good to see he's finally found his..
I think his running game has been better but his kicks are still rubbish unfortunately

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
His kicking game for field position to manage the lead was fucking rubbish but he had the left edge firing in the second half. I think he would do better with a slightly more pacey half in Sexton with the pace in switch we play with in attack

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burto was excellent tonight. Ran the ball. Supported Kiks. Set up the fox. Gave early ball when needed. Some nice grubbers. He has limited his mistakes.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think his running game has been better but his kicks are still rubbish unfortunately
The bombs are rubbish, I wish he'd cut them out completely. But he had a few nice grubbers for repeat sets and had a nice chip kick for Fox that got in behind the defence.

He's shown at times he has a nice variety of kicks. He just doesn't use them often enough. If he got rid of the bomb so often, I think he'd become a much better all round player.

alwaysthesun

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think Crichton needs to take over the goal kicking.. Burton's kicking from that edge doesn't seem to be improving

Big_Kahunas

Waterboy
Reaction score
Burton is slowly getting better each week and getting involved and looks more interested which is the important thing.

Needs to develop a precision lat tackle kick that finds the ground into the corners. At the moment he is a one trick pony and everyone know's what's coming. Having said that, he needs support from a right footed kicker. And I hate how after we scored the first try that he kicked on 2nd or 3rd tackle and didn't complete the set. Storm started that set from their 40m.

If you think to the good old days of 2004, Anasta at 6 wasn't the main kicker, it was Shifty Sherwin who took a lot of the kicks.

Does anyone else think that Burton lines the ball up for the shot at goal totally wrong? Even my son says he points the ball in the wrong direction and it's going to the right. I thought that El Masri would give him some pointers. If he would have gotten one of the two he missed then it's golden point...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Burton is slowly getting better each week and getting involved and looks more interested which is the important thing.

Needs to develop a precision lat tackle kick that finds the ground into the corners. At the moment he is a one trick pony and everyone know's what's coming. Having said that, he needs support from a right footed kicker. And I hate how after we scored the first try that he kicked on 2nd or 3rd tackle and didn't complete the set. Storm started that set from their 40m.

If you think to the good old days of 2004, Anasta at 6 wasn't the main kicker, it was Shifty Sherwin who took a lot of the kicks.

Does anyone else think that Burton lines the ball up for the shot at goal totally wrong? Even my son says he points the ball in the wrong direction and it's going to the right. I thought that El Masri would give him some pointers. If he would have gotten one of the two he missed then it's golden point...
Good point about the conversions. I've thought the same when he lines them up at times too.. He did kick them at a good percentage last season though after starting off last year badly.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed with other poster. He might be a Smokey for a half spot for nsw if he keeps this up. Honestly reckon he’s improved leaps and bounds

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Needs to sort out his inconsistency. Cant keep going good game, bad game.. literally does it every week. He needs still rock up every week...

We saw what Munster did when the Storm needed a running half to bend lines and gain momentum, Burton had many opportunities to inject himself into the game rather he shoveled the ball on constantly.

Just want to see him show and go more often.... especially near the tryline.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He varied his kicks tonight which was good especially short kicks were accurate but general kicking wasn’t that great tonight apart from that bomb which gave Kiraz time to contest and win.

Peach of a ball for Fox 3rd try and defence was great. He did take the line on a couple times …

If he nails his conversions we win the game (not saying he’s the reason we lost) just pointing out he needs to practice harder kicking from the left sideline because the vast majority of our tries this season will be scored on Fox wing.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
He varied his kicks tonight which was good especially short kicks were accurate but general kicking wasn’t that great tonight apart from that bomb which gave Kiraz time to contest and win.

Peach of a ball for Fox 3rd try and defence was great. He did take the line on a couple times …

If he nails his conversions we win the game (not saying he’s the reason we lost) just pointing out he needs to practice harder kicking from the left sideline because the vast majority of our tries this season will be scored on Fox wing.
I will say it though Burtons goalkicking cost us the match. When u score as many tries and lose by 2, its goalkicking thats the problem

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Needs to sort out his inconsistency. Cant keep going good game, bad game.. literally does it every week. He needs still rock up every week...

We saw what Munster did when the Storm needed a running half to bend lines and gain momentum, Burton had many opportunities to inject himself into the game rather he shoveled the ball on constantly.

Just want to see him show and go more often.... especially near the tryline.
Aside from his kicking game and game management at the end, I thought he was really good tonight. He read the play well and threw a nice 3 man cut out ball for Fox's last try at a key moment in the game. Consistency has been his biggest issue in his career, but the last three weeks I think he's building nicely.

You see what a difference having strike players like Kikau, Xerri and Fox does for him and the space it creates. He needs to get better at closing out games but it doesn't help that Hutch is horrible and Mahoney overdoes it at the worst possible times and wastes vital plays in the attacking 20.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I will say it though Burtons goalkicking cost us the match. When u score as many tries and lose by 2, its goalkicking thats the problem
It would have been nice if he had kicked at least one of them. I knew on that last one that it would come back to haunt us. But they were both from the sideline. So it's not like he shanked sitters from next to the posts. Still, good kickers should get 1 out of 2 of those.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Aside from his kicking game and game management at the end, I thought he was really good tonight. He read the play well and threw a nice 3 man cut out ball for Fox's last try at a key moment in the game. Consistency has been his biggest issue in his career, but the last three weeks I think he's building nicely.

You see what a difference having strike players like Kikau, Xerri and Fox does for him and the space it creates. He needs to get better at closing out games but it doesn't help that Hutch is horrible and Mahoney overdoes it at the worst possible times and wastes vital plays in the attacking 20.
Im a staunch Burton man, @CrittaMagic69 will tell ya... He was lazy tonight compared to last week and that to me is still being inconsistent.

If he doesnt throw that ball tonight, he had a very average game for a 900k running six that doesnt run.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Im a staunch Burton man, @CrittaMagic69 will tell ya... He was lazy tonight compared to last week and that to me is still being inconsistent.

If he doesnt throw that ball tonight, he had a very average game for a 900k running six that doesnt run.
Burton gets criticised for Kikau having a shit season and guys like Xerri, Critta, Fox etc not playing to their potential.

On a night when Kikau dominates and is having one of his best seasons, Fox scores 3 tries and Xerri has his best game since he came back, Burton has to get credit for giving them early ball and giving them chances to show their ability. He did a lot more good things than just that pass to Fox.

His kicking game at the end and long kicking game in general as well as the conversions were his main issues tonight.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Confidence is a great thing isn't it haha