Bullfrog stories and what made him so great

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let’s m revisit the good old days, I was very young back in the bullfrog era, so I'd love to hear from the supporters who remember our greatest administrator and what made him so great? Also any stories anyone would like to share of the great man, if you have or heard any!

Last edited:

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard a story about how every club was chasing Andrew farrers signature and he was about to tour with Aussie school boys and bull frog invited all the other interested clubs bosses for a free lunch at Canterbury leagues one day and when they all accepted the invite
On the day of the lunch bull frog was no where to be seen. He had boarded a flight and went and signed farrar while he was on tour
Fucking genius he was

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The Steve Price story is one of my favourites, while Steve was touring the Donkey's facilities, Bullfrog was talking to his mother. When Steve got home he said to his mother "I think I wanna play for the Broncos" and his mum replied "Stephen, you're playing for the Bulldogs". Bullfrog always knew where the real power in negotiations lay.

Go Dogs

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I recall our Rothmans medal winner (something equivalent to the Daily M) Ewan McGrady who had a season likened to Ben Barba’s in modern times was going to be a no show at the event and when Bullfrog caught wind of it, sent his tailor down to Ewan’s house pronto, got suited up and found himself collecting his medal last minute. The bloke had everything covered.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’d go as far as saying Bullfrog had an influence in most of our GF wins from influencing player recruitment to financial stability and success through to his sons-in-laws coaching successful teams.

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’d go as far as saying Bullfrog had an influence in most of our GF wins from influencing player recruitment to financial stability and success through to his sons-in-laws coaching successful teams.
Bullfrog (along with Chris Anderson), also played a key role in the inception and successful foundation of the Melbourne Storm.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bullfrog obviously did some good things for the Berries/ Bulldogs - different era - onlya Sydney comp far less scrutiny, far less competition etc - i think that Kevn Ryan joining the club in mid 60s made a huge difference as well.

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A few stories while Bullfrog was manager of the state of origin team, he tried to sign up a few gun players.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I used to play golf with a former director who used to tell Bullfrog stories regularly. Bullfrog made three comments that I'll always remember.
1) Only lie when necessary.
2) You need 6 front rowers. 2 on the field, 2 on the bench and 2 suspended.
3) After seeing Ewan McGrath play he was asked if he was going to sign any of his brothers. He answered that the best idea was to sign the mother.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
after watching Steve Mortimer tear up the 'Dogs for a country team in the mid-70's, Bullfrog was asked his reaction to which Bullfrog vowed: "Steve Mortimer will never play against Canterbury-Bankstown ever again!"

and he never did

Last edited:

silverelvis69

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I heard a story about how every club was chasing Andrew farrers signature and he was about to tour with Aussie school boys and bull frog invited all the other interested clubs bosses for a free lunch at Canterbury leagues one day and when they all accepted the invite
On the day of the lunch bull frog was no where to be seen. He had boarded a flight and went and signed farrar while he was on tour
Fucking genius he was
My favourite story

Gus with leaked photo of penrith star recruit… out of bullfrog
Page

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the era before salary caps, I think he also once said ‘when you think you’ve signed up enough front rowers, sign another’

Last edited:

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well. More of a personal story with Bullfrog rather than something I heard or seen in the news.

'95 grand final

The day before tickets went on sale, me and my best mate at the time lined up outside the ticket place thinking we'd have to sleep the night there in order to get a place.

Luckily those organising it were giving out a ticketing system so we could go home and sleep, but come first thing in the morning to get the tickets.

We were 2nd in line from memory, so guaranteed getting seats. Fucking pumped.

Next morning my mate's mum drove us there but was late picking me up. So, when we arrived we'd missed our chance at getting to the final.

Fucking livid. I fucking bawled for a good few days.

My mate's mum felt obviously guilty, as she should the bitch, so ended up talking with Bullfrog. She presented what happened to us and pleaded for some way to get us to the game.

Bullfrog got us 2 tickets.

The best thing was that we were sitting next to Terry Lamb's sister the whole game, tho we didn't know it till the lap of honour!

Bullfrog was a genius businessman. Shrewd. Cunning. Brilliant at his job.

But for me it was his honest love for the Dogs and us the supporters that puts him up there as a legend. More so than players if I'm honest.

Love the guy. And never got to thank him in person for getting me those tickets.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well. More of a personal story with Bullfrog rather than something I heard or seen in the news.

'95 grand final

The day before tickets went on sale, me and my best mate at the time lined up outside the ticket place thinking we'd have to sleep the night there in order to get a place.

Luckily those organising it were giving out a ticketing system so we could go home and sleep, but come first thing in the morning to get the tickets.

Next morning my mate's mum drove us there but was late picking me up. So, when we arrived we'd missed our chance at getting to the final.

My mate's mum felt obviously guilty, as she should the bitch, so ended up talking with Bullfrog. She presented what happened to us and pleaded for some way to get us to the game.

The best thing was that we were sitting next to Terry Lamb's sister the whole game, tho we didn't know it till the lap of honour!

But for me it was his honest love for the Dogs and us the supporters that puts him up there as a legend. More so than players if I'm honest.

Love the guy. And never got to thank him in person for getting me those tickets.
This is a terrific memory and is so consistent to the man’s character

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

'95 grand final

That's a great story bro. I never got to meet the man personally, but I think a lot of us have a feeling of closeness to him that we can relate to when it comes to our love of the club. The fact that he could see what the club could become and turned us into a team of champions, not only in the 80s, but also laying the foundations of the team becoming a strong club constantly, speaks wonders.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
after watching Steve Mortimer tear up the 'Dogs for a country team in the mid-70's, Bullfrog was asked his reaction to which Bullfrog vowed: "Steve Mortimer will never play against Canterbury-Bankstown ever again!"

and he never did
Yep. He turned Turvey into the GOAT.