News Bulldogs winger Josh Addo-Carr eager to end try-scoring drought on return to Melbourne

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bulldogs winger Josh Addo-Carr has spoken of his love for Melbourne and his respect for Craig Bellamy as he attempts to break one of the longest scoring droughts of his career against his former club this weekend.

Addo-Carr was transformed from fringe first-grader to NSW and Australian representative at the Storm, spending five years with the club, winning a premiership and scoring 96 tries.

He will return to AAMI Park on Sunday for the first time as part of a Bulldog side which has shown encouraging form over the opening three weeks of the NRL season, albeit with precious little to celebrate on a personal note.

Addo-Carr has gone five games without a try stretching back to his final two appearances for Melbourne – the longest try-less streak of his career was six games in the 2018 season.

Should be break the drought in Melbourne, it will no doubt be a bittersweet feeling.

“It definitely holds a special place in my heart,” Addo-Carr said.

“Some of my best memories in my life have been down in Melbourne. I’m so close with everyone down there, from the head coach right down to administration.

“They’re like family, but I had to move back home. After I lost my grandfather, that was the biggest reason I wanted to move back.

“Life is just too short and I just wanted be with my family at the time. I had to wait another two years to see out my contract.

“It is what it is. It was definitely a tough decision. I’m so close to everyone back in Melbourne. It’s sweet.”

Addo-Carr conceded it was difficult to tell Bellamy and head of football Frank Ponissi that he was leaving. He has no regrets, however.

“Not at all,” he said. “I’m absolutely loving my time in Sydney and I see the potential we have here at the Bulldogs. I can’t wait until we start thriving.

“We’re just so close to putting the cherry on top of the cake. I feel like we’re getting better and better every week.

“You have to be at your best every week to play first grade and we’re so close.”

The Bulldogs have produced some encouraging signs over the opening three weeks of the season, but they face a lift in quality against the Storm.

Melbourne are a perennial top four side, something Addo-Carr knows only too well.

“If we turn up with a good attitude and play the Bulldogs footy we want to play, I feel like we can beat the Storm,” he said.

He doesn’t expect a lot of contact with his former teammates this week. Come game time, he will be doing his best to avoid good mate Justin Olam.

“There’s a few cheeky fellas down there,” Addo-Carr said.

“I talk to them all the time so it’s nothing new. I’m sure they’re going to try to smash me.”

On the hard-hitting Olam, he said: “He’s on the other side of the field, thank God. He’s my brother. I love him no matter what, and I’m lucky he’s on the other side of the field so I don’t have to run straight at him.

“I am so close with everyone down there. It’s going to be so weird, but it’s just another footy game. I’m a Bulldog now and I’ve got to back this side no matter what.

“I’m absolutely loving my time here teaching these fellas how to play football and helping them become first grade football players.”

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
“I’m absolutely loving my time here teaching these fellas how to play football and helping them become first grade football players.”
Is he talking about our first grade players there?

It's hardly like JAC is going to say "well if Naden would pass me the f'n ball more than once a game I might actually have a chance to score".

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He’s up against Coates. Pretty tough match up. Coates has put it over him before.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He’s up against Coates. Pretty tough match up. Coates has put it over him before.
And with the no quality ball he gets .. ever to put him in space .. Coates will once again have it over him unfortunately.!!!

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ask Baz to partner you with Schoupp and put Naden on the wing, then you might score a fucken try.

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think he will struggle all year. Different system. Different quality of ball given to him. Also has far more distractions seems to be quite active socially in Sydney.

Still happy we have him thou.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is he talking about our first grade players there?

It's hardly like JAC is going to say "well if Naden would pass me the f'n ball more than once a game I might actually have a chance to score".
Naden, Schoupp and Alomoti maybe? All have zero to a handful of games' experience.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Ask Baz to partner you with Schoupp and put Naden on the wing, then you might score a fucken try.
Does anyone really think that JAC hasn't got exactly who he wants playing inside him.

Always a Bulldog

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He'll go scoreless this year I reckon
Yup. Put money on it. Hes too distracted off field. And hes injured snd not running full speed. And has shit service coming towards him. As much as he says hes here for a purpose, hes not. Hes gotten paid and is here to get laid. We are slowly becoming the Titans. Sign players on big money and they drop their standards.