Bulldogs versus NRL - rugby league's newest battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
[h=1]Bulldogs versus NRL - rugby league's newest battle[/h]

Mad, bad dogs: David Klemmer and James Graham leave the referee in no doubt about how they feel. Photo: Getty Images

They are known as the Dogs of War, but they are only fighting one battle, against one protagonist, right now.
And that's the NRL.
The Bulldogs have taken some of the sting out of the Good Friday massacre involving South Sydney with captain James Graham, David Klemmer, Sam Kasiano and Michael Lichaa taking the early guilty plea for a slew of charges.
It prevents a judiciary showdown at League Central but the tension between the club and head office is growing.

Coach Des Hasler has been digging in since the first round when he was handed a suspended $10,000 fine for mocking head of football Todd Greenberg's edict forbidding post-match criticism of referees.​

More than any other coach, Hasler has barely disguised his contempt at being gagged whenever he's been asked about referees since then.
Part of it provides entertaining Des vaudeville, but there is no doubt the long-time coach is frustrated at being closed down from talking freely about match officials.
With so much skin in the game, he believes he has a right to speak, along with all other coaches.
On the flipside, Greenberg is hellbent on ensuring match officials are respected.
Bulldogs CEO Raelene Castle said in a statement on Tuesday: "Referees are to be respected at all times and it is clear that the NRL have drawn a new line in the sand in relation to player engagement with match officials."

As many in the game said aloud, the line was always there: you can't tell a referee, "You're f---ed. You're off your face!"
Internally, Bulldogs officials have made much reference to Souths fans being involved in their own bottle-throwing incidents in recent years.
Hasler arguably defends his players more than any other coach in recent memory.

When Graham was charged and forced to front the judiciary for biting the ear of Storm fullback Billy Slater during the 2012 grand final, Hasler vehemently defended his player all the way up to his judiciary hearing, and then long after a 12-match suspension was handed down.
When I see Graham thundering away at referees as he did at referee Gerard Sutton last Friday, I see Geoff Toovey.
That may sound strange but Graham's anger and passion is reminiscent of how Toovey kicked and screamed at every play at Manly in the 1990s.
There was a belief then that Toovey was working under instruction, trying to slow the play down while questioning the ref. Whether Graham is doing the same now, only he and Hasler know.

Match officials deserve respect but if the NRL believes players and referees can happily play together in the sandpit, it is delusional.
The angst displayed on Friday is also seen by some as part of a greater divide.
Bulldogs chairman Ray Dib is a key part of what some at League Central call "the cartel" - a group of renegade clubs who are displeased with the performance of chief executive Dave Smith and chairman John Grant, and critical of how the game is being run.
There is also a loss of love between the NSWRL and the NRL.

When NSWRL chairman and former Bulldogs boss George Peponis - a respected figure, no doubt - told Fairfax Media on Monday that refereeing standards had plummeted in the past 18 months, it fanned the flames.

Cut against this backdrop, it will be interesting to see how the NRL reacts when an investigation into the appalling behaviour of Bulldogs fans concludes.
That won't come until next week. It gives the NRL time to consider a very important next move.
Reports that the club could lose competition points are hysterical at best. The option is open to the NRL, but the word out of the league is that it won't even consider taking that drastic step.

Claiming that Hasler, through his on-field general Graham, incited the bottle-throwing, and therefore the club should be accountable for it, is ridiculous.
Nevertheless, the ugly aftermath should not be brushed aside.
As Sutton strutted up the tunnel, a Bulldogs fan in front of the press box rose to his feet and pelted a full 750ml bottle of Coke towards him.
It could've done as much damage as a house brick, if it hit someone in the head.

The referee's performance might have been the reason for their anger. The penalty against Graham was touch-and-go. The reaction of Graham and Klemmer might've helped whip the Bulldogs faithful into a frenzy.
But the decision to throw a bottle at the referee starts and ends with the person holding it.
Typically, the fans of other clubs are climbing into their Belmore friends, claiming the Bulldogs have never been any different.
This is incorrect.

The club has taken enormous strides in the past 10 years since one fan detonated a firework at a match that sounded like a bomb going off and many others attacked innocent fans and vending machines at Sydney Olympic Park station.
It is safe to go to the football, including Bulldogs matches. Until the final five minutes of Friday's match, only four people had been ejected from a crowd of 40,500.
The Bulldogs shouldn't have to worry about their renegade fans. They've got their own battles to fight at the moment.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...by-leagues-newest-battle-20150407-1mg0u5.html

Malla

Reaction score
SMH are great - non bias and just honest. I will never read a DT article again.

This was a great read.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Mmmmm.One of the few seemingly balanced articles since the Good Friday match.

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
He is my new favourite reporter (Previous = NONE)

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
All the media are c***s, I think it's a prerequisite to be a c*** to be involved in the media.

Malla

Reaction score
All the media are c***s, I think it's a prerequisite to be a c*** to be involved in the media.
Journo's are just pencil pushers and puppets. Its such a tarnished profession. I have gone to school with journo's who gave it all up because they were not allowed to write what they felt, their articles were proof read about 10 times until perfect in the editors eyes.

Its rubbish. The newspaper is 85% bullshit.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I hate media "personalities" more than I hate those scummy parking rangers.

Dw

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
so not every journo is completely ****ed

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I don't mind Webster.. he's one of the journos out there who thinks before he publishes.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice post, thanks. Many good points and its good to get the emotion in perspective with some numbers.

For me the dogs have always been about family. Going to the game with mum and dad was a big deal when I was a kid. Did that with mum for the rest of her life.
Read another post from a guy whose Uncle Fadi used to take him; cool...Bulldogs are a part of my life, and many others feel the same....so many years later, let it continue to be safe and for families so I can take my daughters to watch when they get older. Can't wait.

Startin' to get over that game...a bit.
Thanks for the post.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
"The cartel" I like that.
This is far from over, the Bulldogs have backers and are ready to take the NRL head on.

Edroy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a bad article but a few issues. 750ml coke? I know it's semantics but I think they only sell 600ml lol.

Most people, if not all, threw bottles as a gesture of disgust. I doubt they wanted to hurt anyone. It's not like they were thinking rationally. Otherwise they would have tipped the contents out first. Then again maybe they did want to hit the refs. I doubt it tbh. People throw shit all the time at concerts etc.

As with letting a bunger off, it's such an overreaction. I hear loud banging at many ANZ games that startle me tbh. It's a raucous environment.

He's right about the NRL being delusional if they think the refs and players can "play in the same sandpit" too. The NRL is widening the chasm between the administration and the fabric of the game. Now you can't mention the refs, it's basically like the NRL saying, "This is our game and we'll orchestrate it how we see fit."

Edroy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I forgot to say that I wish the Bulldogs fought the charges and/or gradings to make a point, but I can understand why they didn't. It would perpetuate the witch hunt and wouldn't achieve the goal anyway. Most people think the refs got it right, but they should have at least fought the Lichaa and Kasiano charges. No way could the judiciary prove that Lichaa called the ref a dog. It was more plausible that he was calling the Souths player one. While Kasiano clearly kneed Luke accidentally. Don't worry Sam, next time, just belly flop on the player with your huge bulk. I'm sure that will be less damaging. Or change your name to Slater.

Kiwidog77

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Finally a journo with a brain bigger than a split pea.

Endeavour

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
I forgot to say that I wish the Bulldogs fought the charges and/or gradings to make a point, but I can understand why they didn't. It would perpetuate the witch hunt and wouldn't achieve the goal anyway. Most people think the refs got it right, but they should have at least fought the Lichaa and Kasiano charges. No way could the judiciary prove that Lichaa called the ref a dog. It was more plausible that he was calling the Souths player one. While Kasiano clearly kneed Luke accidentally. Don't worry Sam, next time, just belly flop on the player with your huge bulk. I'm sure that will be less damaging. Or change your name to Slater.
I have a theory on why they let the Lichaa charge stand. Possibly its just something as simple as letting this whole mess blow over. Or maybe its more strategic. I didn't notice the incident during the game at all and can't bring myself to watch the replay. But if it really is a nothing incident and its something that probably happens ten times a game then the NRL have set a stupid precedence which they are going to have to uphold if they don't want to be accused of being hypocrites. For example I thought I saw two instances in the dragons game where the players got up after the whistle had been blown and swore while looking at the ref. There were no replays of this so

Croc

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I didn't think Hasler got a $10,000 suspended fine. Anyone know about this?

N

Natboy

Cool Article - when did coke come in 750ml bottles?
I was thinking the same thing!
None of our players made the RLW team of the week despite dominating and almost beating the premiers!
It looks like Tony Adams has it in for us now as well. **** him too

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
This article is ok, but our only "war" is with the media, not the NRL. They are the ones making it out to be some huge scandal, they are carrying on something huge and terrible happened. In the light of day, all that happened was a few players got upset at losing the match in the last minute and dubious calls were involved. Then 2 or 3 idiots out of a crowd of 40,000 throw some bottles, none of which hit anyone.

OUr players got suspended for the ref abuse, the bottle throwers if caught will be banned and face fines/charges. End of story its over now. If they make any new stories about it they can all smd tbh. Any further stories about it would be overkill and unnecessary considering its all resolved now.

I am mostly upset we didnt fight grahams tackle charge. I mean ffs how is a chargedown a suspendable offence. He barely touched Reynolds. They have set a terrible precedent with that. Now you cant try and stop ppl shooting field goals, or charge down kicks.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not a bad article but a few issues. 750ml coke? I know it's semantics but I think they only sell 600ml lol.

Most people, if not all, threw bottles as a gesture of disgust. I doubt they wanted to hurt anyone. It's not like they were thinking rationally. Otherwise they would have tipped the contents out first. Then again maybe they did want to hit the refs. I doubt it tbh. People throw shit all the time at concerts etc.

As with letting a bunger off, it's such an overreaction. I hear loud banging at many ANZ games that startle me tbh. It's a raucous environment.

He's right about the NRL being delusional if they think the refs and players can "play in the same sandpit" too. The NRL is widening the chasm between the administration and the fabric of the game. Now you can't mention the refs, it's basically like the NRL saying, "This is our game and we'll orchestrate it how we see fit."
600ml Coke + 150 grams of coke = 750

Status
Not open for further replies.