Bulldogs v Storm Trial - Team List and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Holland and Hoppa still worry me because Holland is really inconsistent and if he is going to play on the wing he doesn't have the attributes to really succeed. Hopoate will never be a top fullback by missing Sunday's, people underestimate the affect it has on other players when a player sits out a game both mentally and physically, like it's not easy have to get used to having to adjust to a different fullback on sundays and then hoppa on the other days and also the best teams are successful when every single player does there part for the team and that means putting your body on the line whenever your mates need you.

Reactions: DT

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Your right, Melb were shocking. You could tell when Smith and Cronk hooked themselves that they didn't want to be out there.

Either way it was good to see the dogs get stuck in from dot1.

Mbye had one of those games again.
They didn't even play a full half. Mbye played like 10 minues and was only on for a few attacking sets, if you wanna bag him over that then whatever.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Was glad the stream worked a lot better than last year, so we could watch it without throwing anything at the screen this year.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It's got me a little excited that performance.

After last season I was completely against Des and thought we needed a wholesale clear out except for 3 or 4 players.

But the boys played good.

I'm a bit concerned of the defense of eastwood and mbye standing side by side, melb made quite a few breaks between them in the short time mbye was on the field

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My thoughts on what I saw (from Reynolds try onwards).

1 Will Hopoate - Played well. Promising signs.
2 Brett Morris - Carved up on wing and scored a really nice try.
3 Josh Morris - Solid game and provided good service to his brother.
4 Brenko Lee - Played REALLY well. Will give us some real spark on that side of the field.
5 Kerrod Holland - Is this the same Holland who played last year? Had one of the best games I've seen him play. Could form a dangerous combination with Brenko over time. Threw a nice flick pass to put Montoya over later in the game.
6 Josh Reynolds - All over the place, getting involved in attack and defence. Scored a really nice try early on.
7 Moses Mbye - By time I tuned in he was gone.
8 Aiden Tolman - Solid as always and didn't get in the way like normal.
9 Michael Lichaa - His passing has improved since last year. Threw a beauty of a ball to put Kas over, as well as a few other really nice passes.
10 James Graham (c) - See Tolman
11 Josh Jackson - Didn't see much of Jacko.
12 Greg Eastwood - Saw him absolute iron out (I think it was Munster). Solid legal hit too. Almost broke the line a few times.
13 David Klemmer - Had an impact when he came on, got injured, went off for 30, came back later for 10 then back off.

14 Sam Kasiano - He's going to be dangerous this year, and I have a feeling he'll be a lurking lock and play a roaming role both sides of the ruck. Watch out other sides, Dogzilla is primed.
15 Raymond Faitala-Mariner - Instant impact when he came on. Just needs to be careful to number up in defence.
16 Danny Fualalo - Shirt grabbing resulted in a try from a bad miss. Still young but needs time in NSW Cup.
17 Francis Tualau - Played quite well from what I saw. When he develops an offload could cause some problems for defence.
20 Brad Abbey - Made one mistake (fumbled a terrible kick) leading to a try. Did make a try saving tackle though. Very green and needs time in NSW Cup.. Promising signs though.
21 Craig Garvey - Yeah Garvey at this point in time I'd rate below Woolford (WHERE IS HE???) and below Joey Tramontana in NYC. He's got the ability, but just isn't hitting his strides.
22 Matt Frawley - Really stepped up and is stamping his name for a shot in first grade. Some nice kicks, kept defence guessing, and really controlled the field nicely. Smokey for first grade halves.
23 Marcelo Montoya - Didn't get much game time but scored off a cracking Holland flick pass.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: There has definitely been some work on our attack. We look far more fluent with the ball now, and are willing to throw it around, inside, and create some nice lines and chances. Kicks in general play are back too. It seems Des has loosened the screws and let them play a bit more adlib.

I still don't believe that was the full Bulldogs performance, and that Des has something else up his sleeve. If that's the case, I'm excited to see where this leads.
I missed out on watching the game,from all reports we seem to be playing a slightly different style and formation.
Understanding its only a trial game,this is a confidence builder for all supporters with the season upon us.
Just hope this is the trend for 2017,to win games with a real game plan and all players switched on.
Thx for the detailed player review Mr I,some of these guys could have played themselves into the squad.
Ready for Belmore.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
My thoughts on what I saw (from Reynolds try onwards).

1 Will Hopoate - Played well. Promising signs.
2 Brett Morris - Carved up on wing and scored a really nice try.
3 Josh Morris - Solid game and provided good service to his brother.
4 Brenko Lee - Played REALLY well. Will give us some real spark on that side of the field.
5 Kerrod Holland - Is this the same Holland who played last year? Had one of the best games I've seen him play. Could form a dangerous combination with Brenko over time. Threw a nice flick pass to put Montoya over later in the game.
6 Josh Reynolds - All over the place, getting involved in attack and defence. Scored a really nice try early on.
7 Moses Mbye - By time I tuned in he was gone.
8 Aiden Tolman - Solid as always and didn't get in the way like normal.
9 Michael Lichaa - His passing has improved since last year. Threw a beauty of a ball to put Kas over, as well as a few other really nice passes.
10 James Graham (c) - See Tolman
11 Josh Jackson - Didn't see much of Jacko.
12 Greg Eastwood - Saw him absolute iron out (I think it was Munster). Solid legal hit too. Almost broke the line a few times.
13 David Klemmer - Had an impact when he came on, got injured, went off for 30, came back later for 10 then back off.

14 Sam Kasiano - He's going to be dangerous this year, and I have a feeling he'll be a lurking lock and play a roaming role both sides of the ruck. Watch out other sides, Dogzilla is primed.
15 Raymond Faitala-Mariner - Instant impact when he came on. Just needs to be careful to number up in defence.
16 Danny Fualalo - Shirt grabbing resulted in a try from a bad miss. Still young but needs time in NSW Cup.
17 Francis Tualau - Played quite well from what I saw. When he develops an offload could cause some problems for defence.
20 Brad Abbey - Made one mistake (fumbled a terrible kick) leading to a try. Did make a try saving tackle though. Very green and needs time in NSW Cup.. Promising signs though.
21 Craig Garvey - Yeah Garvey at this point in time I'd rate below Woolford (WHERE IS HE???) and below Joey Tramontana in NYC. He's got the ability, but just isn't hitting his strides.
22 Matt Frawley - Really stepped up and is stamping his name for a shot in first grade. Some nice kicks, kept defence guessing, and really controlled the field nicely. Smokey for first grade halves.
23 Marcelo Montoya - Didn't get much game time but scored off a cracking Holland flick pass.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: There has definitely been some work on our attack. We look far more fluent with the ball now, and are willing to throw it around, inside, and create some nice lines and chances. Kicks in general play are back too. It seems Des has loosened the screws and let them play a bit more adlib.

I still don't believe that was the full Bulldogs performance, and that Des has something else up his sleeve. If that's the case, I'm excited to see where this leads.
Thank you, a very comprehensive and unbiased review. Sounds like there may some better performances this year.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Best news We have a genuine 7 in Frawley .. hed be my pick for NRL halfback
He's no chance of playing for a hasler coached team.
He'll get to fill in when we get injuries, then someone else will pick him up. Like cook.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
For everyone stroking their cocks over this trial; think back to how we played rd1 last season.
Still don't understand what happened to the team that turned up to Brookvale and put the Rabbitohs to the sword

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They didn't even play a full half. Mbye played like 10 minues and was only on for a few attacking sets, if you wanna bag him over that then whatever.
He had a shocking 10 mins. Missed touch again, dropped the ball clean and was seriously a yard off. He also tripped Kaufusi in the beginning cant tell me u missed that.

Few good runs at the line but he needs to pull up for the coin his on.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He had a shocking 10 mins. Missed touch again, dropped the ball clean and was seriously a yard off. He also tripped Kaufusi in the beginning cant tell me u missed that.

Wasn't it Reynolds that didn't kick it out?

Reactions: jof

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wasn't it Reynolds that didn't kick it out?
Honestly I aint sure but I'll assume a left footer would be kicking to the right hand touch line plus doesn't Mbye always kick? Reynolds always takes that tap lol

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

I started watching from the set before he dropped it tbh. It isn't even worth debating anymore, people have decided they don't like him and that's it. Atleast i can credit Reynolds when he does well like today. Still laughing at people praising Frawley and calling him a halfback after todays game.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Honestly I aint sure but I'll assume a left footer would be kicking to the right hand touch line plus doesn't Mbye always kick? Reynolds always takes that tap lol
Yeah I'm sure it was Reynolds. We don't seem to care about maximising meters from penalties for some reason

Reactions: DT

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah I'm sure it was Reynolds. We don't seem to care about maximising meters from penalties for some reason
Ill take your word for it. Well that's maybe because our kickers cant find touch.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I started watching from the set before he dropped it tbh. It isn't even worth debating anymore, people have decided they don't like him and that's it. Atleast i can credit Reynolds when he does well like today. Still laughing at people praising Frawley and calling him a halfback after todays game.
100% I have major doubts on Frawley, i liked his willingness today, but in the 9's when he had to turn sideways to pass from left to right i wrote him off immediatley. guess we will have to see how it plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.