Bulldogs still paying 3 players outside the club

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We will paying more contacts don’t forget we probably tapped another 5 or so contracted players we will pay some freight there also.
Rebuild in full throttle
Pay it forward

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Who signed DWZ for 850k? Fkn wow!
That's the difference between Gus and the people who came before him. Previous management felt they had to rush out and sign a new player on massive overs every time the fans and sponsors got restless. Gus won't be stampeded into paying overs for anybody, and, if he can't get the player he wants at the price he thinks is fair, he won't sign him at all. This approach will get him some heat when we are struggling (like now) but will pay off in the longer term.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
First, no fucken way DWZ was on $800k
Second, why is this even a story? Every team in the NRL would be contributing to the salaries of players they’ve let go mid-contract for whatever reason?
Third, the length of the contract they last signed doesn’t really mean shit, because how much freight you pay is a negotiation. You might pay half, the first year then only 10% for the last, depending on the receiving teams cap position.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
2022 was the last year we were contributing to DWZ. 2023 is the last year for Cotric and Allan. You just need to find how many years they had left to run on their Bulldog contract.
And even then, it's usually you pay one year for the club to take them off your hands, but not multiple years. The new club usually does a new contract that provides the correct value for the player. The player at that point wants that as it's there pay day.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I can't believe people keep falling for this shit. Especially after Gus leaked the documents to prove these muppets wrong about TPJ and the phantom 250k for next year.. We won't be paying a cent for either of those three players next year. So who cares? It's a non-story.

I expected them to double down after they got proven wrong about TPJ and now they're reaching by trying to bring up old shit.. And people keep buying into it..

Moey91

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck I hate DWZ much more now! Hope the **** gets elminated in the finals

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
All three stole [um, no. Took advantage of. Sure] from us and went to other clubs for less and played better
Hopefully, as part of Gus & Co's post-season navel-gazing sessions ("Honesty in self appraisal is crucial." - Gus) they will reflect on why, exactly, the Bulldogs have become a club where talent goes to die, and then resurges once they've moved to another club.

"We" have fallen into the trap of constantly blaming the players, year after year, (poor roster this, not enough talent that, yada yada yada). Yeah, the roster might not have always been the strongest and they have contributed (or not contributed), but it has never been bottom 4. Even this one should be performing better than it is. That it isn't is wholly on the Club, Coach, and the Culture we have allowed (one of mediocrity).

Gus in particular has been trotting this one out heavily for most of this season, especially once Ciraldo started needing air cover to shield him from HIS own poor performances (preparation, team selections, tactics, bench rotations, attention to detail).

Do we need a full overhaul of junior development? Yes! Absolutely!
Is Gus the right man to do that? Yes!
Should we ignore the top level while we're waiting for that overhaul to be done and for the rewards to start flowing? Hell No!

We need a Head Coach and a competent team of assistants that can deliver for the top grades. Is Ciraldo that guy? Geez I hope so.
We will likely know during the trials, where we get to see if they actually did any hard work over the pre-season, or if (like Barrett did the pre-season before he was "marched") they just faffed around without a clue. I cannot say I am not very concerned given what he shown and delivered to date.

We have to spend 95% of the cap. We have money to spend. We cannot pay massive overs on long deals (like previous "regimes" did) that leads to being unable to unload duds without carrying excessive freight for them playing at other teams, but...

...there is no reason we cannot assemble a "money ball" group of professionals that can compete (even if only in the middle of the comp - maybe squeeze into the 8) and build a culture that is worthy of the name: "Bulldogs", at least until a batch of highly talented juniors can be developed and brought through to challenge for top 4 and titles on a consistent basis.

We already have quite a number of "good"/talented players. That they cannot be coached to perform as an effective team is all on the Head Coach.
Until that is acknowledged ("Honesty in self appraisal is crucial." - Gus) and fixed, we ain't going anywhere except backwards. It really doesn't matter who is recruited, we will just make them worse.

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Corey Allan - we were probably paying a good chunk of his contract this year but his contract finishes as the end of the year.

Nick Cotric - his Bulldogs contract finishes 2024 so i'd say this year and next year we will be paying a chunk of it.

DWZ - his contract with us finished in 2022 so we definately wouldn't still be paying.

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1) We are definitely paying some of Allan's contract but that ends this season.
2) Cotric signed for 3 years when he came and that ends this season, so I wouldn't be surprised if we are still paying some of his wage.
3) The DWZ figure has me dumbfounded. At the end of 2019 he extended his deal with up for a further 2 seasons. Locking him in a Belmore until the end of 2022 (He was already signed until the end of 2020) I have no doubt he was on ~$800k because he looked like a long term fullback at that time. I cant find any article online of him extending beyond 22 so I dont believe we are still paying half his contract now, although i wouldn't be surprised if we were last season.

All of these should be done by end of this season. Which puts us in a good position moving forward, particularly with TPJ leaving the game. Our only cap waste of money problems going into next season are RFM and Sutton as far as I can see. Who knows what these two are on? They have been shocking value for money this season.

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Corey Allan - we were probably paying a good chunk of his contract this year but his contract finishes as the end of the year.

Nick Cotric - his Bulldogs contract finishes 2024 so i'd say this year and next year we will be paying a chunk of it.

DWZ - his contract with us finished in 2022 so we definately wouldn't still be paying.
No Cotric's contract was for 21, 22 and 23.

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
No Cotric's contract was for 21, 22 and 23.
Perfect even better.

I guess they will be replaced by next year by RFM, Ryan Sutton, Franklin Pele and god knows who else we will release.