Bulldogs snare Brenko Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Pez will retire at the end of 2017 (32 years old) I reckon, paving the way for Lee.

If Rona was leaving, why would we only sign this guy till then end of 2018??? ... in fact IF Rona was leaving, we'd have the cash to approach a decent first grade winger off contract.

Lee will most likely replace Stanley in NSW Cup, Bmoz during SOO 2017, and Pez from 2018 season with a renewal if hes going well.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I hope so. But there's a lot of noise in the union ranks that Rona is a done deal. Plus the it's pretty convenient that we've just signed someone in his position.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm guessing we will be letting Stanley go at the end of the year and Brenko Lee will be the new backup.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lee's not coming here to play reserve grade
What do u think made him sign ??
He could stay in Canberra and play reserves if that was the case

yearofthedog

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
I more think this signing is a goodbye to holland more than anything

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can't say that I have seen much of Brenko. But hopefully he proves to be a good signing.

I'm really hopeful that Rona remains a bulldog for many years to come. He's been great both on the wing and at centre. There may be plenty of rumour doing the rounds that he's going to the Force. But if rumours were worth anything our backline would be

1. Hayne
2. Matautia ( there were probably better signings we were rumoured to make but I cant recall too many right now)
3. Folau
4. Moz
5. Moz
6. Maloney/Foran
7. DCE/Johnson/Thurston

If Rona leaves I'll be disappointed but life goes on. Over time I'd say our tendency had been to rely on smaller but elusive wingers, so Rona was probably our first major step towards making our backline fit the modern mould. He ticks all the boxes. Can defend, can catch a high ball but most importantly he can finish off half chances that many wingers would not. I can only be grateful that he is here today. If he leaves we'll deal with it.

Last edited:

nikgan123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I can't say that I have seen much of Edrick. But hopefully he proves to be a good signing.

I'm really hopeful that Rona remains a bulldog for many years to come. He's been great both on the wing and at centre. There may be plenty of rumour doing the rounds that he's going to the Force. But if rumours were worth anything our backline would be

1. Hayne
2. Matautia ( there were probably better signings we were rumoured to make but I cant recall too many right now)
3. Folau
4. Moz
5. Moz
6. Maloney/Foran
7. DCE/Johnson/Thurston

If Rona leaves I'll be disappointed but life goes on. Over time I'd say our tendency had been to rely on smaller but elusive wingers, so Rona was probably our first major step towards making our backline fit the modern mould. He ticks all the boxes. Can defend, can catch a high ball but most importantly he can finish off half chances that many wingers would not. I can only be grateful that he is here today. If he leaves we'll deal with it.
Brenko not edrick

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I more think this signing is a goodbye to holland more than anything
I don't know about that. Could be the case but i'd lean towards his signing as being a reaction to the fact that Stanley isn't getting more durable with age. Maybe Des just see loads of potential in Lee. Lichaa e was on Haslers list of players to sign for three years before he snared him for the Dogs. Brenko might be another player he's been waiting to scalp.

Last edited:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Top signing.. will be a solid centre for us after jmoz is gone in a couple of years.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I would say we picked up Lee knowing a deal concerning Rona is inevitable...call it succession planning. Rona has a chance to return home and he is familiar with Rugby and the Force.. It makes sense. Rather his code switch than seeing him in another teams colours in the NRL. I can honestly say I don't recall seeing him play a bad game. Let's hope he decides to stay on but good luck to him either way.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I would say we picked up Lee knowing a deal concerning Rona is inevitable...call it succession planning. Rona has a chance to return home and he is familiar with Rugby and the Force.. It makes sense. Rather his code switch than seeing him in another teams colours in the NRL. I can honestly say I don't recall seeing him play a bad game. Let's hope he decides to stay on but good luck to him either way.
The only real shocker he played was the Roosters Semi Last Year. But then again, the whole team played crap.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
In the name of all that is good and decent please please sign Lolohea

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Have said this in another post that my fear is we lose rona and get Lee. But I have a sneaky suspicion that if rona goes it won't be us pushing him out... it will be him leaving regardless what we do to try and retain him. Us married guys know happy wife = happy life. For all we know he may have already advised the club he's going but is being professional and not making it a circus... before we all smash the club if rona goes just keep that in mind... that said... do everything we can to keep Rona. Everything.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mark my words

"This will be one of the best if not the best ever back we have signed"
If he can live up to expectations then yes I'm with u 100% His got a lot of Meninga about him.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Lee is a good signing, I haven't seen much of him but what I have seen was pretty good.

Not sure about the Rona connection there, but then again, I don't recall ever seeing a question mark in the media about when a player was actually signed to before either as it has been with him (I think we've firmed up that its 2017 though right?). I hope we manage to keep him around, Rona has been awesome consistently since he joined the Bulldogs.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Lee's not coming here to play reserve grade
What do u think made him sign ??
He could stay in Canberra and play reserves if that was the case
All of Canberra's backs are pretty young though and we having 3 veterans in Morris' and Perrett.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Who or what was the source for this quote?

"Canterbury’s decision to sign Lee could very well spell the end of Curtis Rona’s time at the club. Speculation is rife that Rona is close securing a move to Super Rugby franchise the Western Force".

Although he is off contract at the end of 2016 there are a number of things to consider before he jumps ship.

1. The reason Rona came to the Bulldogs was so he could be coached by Des Hasler.

2. Under Hasler he became one of the NRL's best wingers and is now going fine cutting his teeth as a centre.

3. His game is still developing.

4. The Bulldogs winning the 2016 premiership is more than wishful thinking.

5. There are 10 teams in the Australian / New Zealand Super Rugby Conference. The Force have played 15 - won 2 - lost 13 and are coming stone motherless last.

If he goes I'll be very disappointed but I can't see any Rugby club that can't beat time with a stick paying big bucks for a winger.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Forgot about Stanley as well. Lee could be brought in for both Perret and Stanley for depth. Anyway I hope and pray that's the case. Also the fact that abbey is not ready yet. Des must rate Lee he has been on the radar for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.