News Bulldogs Set to Secure Blake Taaffe

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
200k less? Who says?
That wouldn’t be far off the mark.

I understand we offered Averillo $250k which he knocked back and then reportedly signed for the Dolphins for $400.

I think if Taaffe signs it would be for the $250k Averillo knocked back.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

I understand we offered Averillo $250k which he knocked back and then reportedly signed for the Dolphins for $400.

Yes he's probably signing on for similar money we offered Jake. However this idea that we're "saving" money is ridiculous. We're getting a lesser player and spending the rest on what? Players like EQW?

Old Man JB

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yes he's probably signing on for similar money we offered Jake. However this idea that we're "saving" money is ridiculous. We're getting a lesser player and spending the rest on what? Players like EQW?
Nonsense, he is not a lesser player, he is a different player and probably more consistent. If we save some cap, great news.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

It sounds about right.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel sorry for Jake and but looking at the roster already signed for next year. For the balance of the roster we shouldn’t be signing Taaffe or any more outside backs for that matter.

We have too many backs already. Which I believed is the reason Jake missed out on a deal. Not that he isn’t better than some of the already signed players. It’s the fact that he wasn’t already signed. There was no room for him.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Nonsense, he is not a lesser player, he is a different player and probably more consistent. If we save some cap, great news.
He is a lesser player. Playing for a better team does not make you a better player. He is a clear downgrade.

Jippst

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
His deal was reported to be around $1.2m over 3 years. Dogs offered 2 years and slightly less money. I couldn't give a shit what Gus says because the bloke will say whatever necessary to spin his own narrative. Claiming a player got a "great deal" or whatever he said is one of the oldest tricks in the book.
If its true that he got offered $400k a year to go then thats FU cked!! .it disgusts me me to think that we've put all this time ,effort into Jake & for what.. to see him blossom into a very good footballer elsewhere... I know people will say that yes, he doesn't have meet what we need & he's failed in certain areas to be a decent FB etc but hes young & I reckon we've got it wrong with this one & under Bennett he could be anything.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't mind the signing at all.

I believe Blake has actually spent the majority of his footy playing at 7.
IMO, could cover the halves, outside backs & hooker during a match if required through injury - making him the perfect 14.

He reminds me alot of our premiership Fullback Jason Alchin, who himself was a 7 converted to a Fullback by Gus to win that famous 1988 premiership.
I think Alchin eventually ended up playing hooker when he finished up at the Magpies if my memory serves me correct.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Overrated on here due to dusting up our reserves standard team, specifically a defensive left edge of Wilson, EQW, Burton and Topine? This is on par with Corey Allan signing.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So crighton not signed for fullback?
Yeh, this sounds like BS to me. Chrichton signed with us because he wants to play FB and can’t at the Panfffers with Dylan Edwards holding down that spot long term.

If Taafe is signed and that’s a BIG IF he’ll be backup to Crichton, most likely play more games in reserves, at best Taafe will be an interchange player.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If we sign him, think it's obvious Crichton is centre and clubs waiting for papallii to devlop for 1st grade

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If we sign him, think it's obvious Crichton is centre and clubs waiting for papallii to devlop for 1st grade
I didn't watch reserves last week but Papalii was named on the wing, not so obvious actually

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
We want options and competition for spots.

There's a good chance he plays 1, 7 and 14 next year
I agree, and this seems to be Gus' thinking based on his comments on Crighton earlier this year

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I didn't watch reserves last week but Papalii was named on the wing, not so obvious actually
Thats because our reserves have too many spine players and can't fit them all on.

Papalii shouldn't even be playing nsw cup but he's been elevated because he's good