Bulldogs Pact to Stop Relying on Halves

Status
Not open for further replies.

x-factor

Y.N.W.A
Reaction score
CANTERBURY players have made a pact to stop relying on halves Kris Keating and Trent Hodkinson as they prepare for a clash with Manly that could wipe out a winless month.

And the behind-closed-doors agreement couldn’t have been more timely, with Hodkinson suspended for a fortnight. The Bulldogs ended a three-match losing streak with a 28-6 win over luckless Gold Coast on Friday night but face a different prospect altogether when they play the in-form Sea Eagles at ANZ Stadium on Saturday.

“I know that after last week’s game, our boys Trent and Krissy, they put their hands up and said they needed to be more dominant,” utility Dene Halatau tells Rugby League Week.

“But we spoke during the week about the fact that there’s 13 players on the field at a time and four on the bench. We need to know our roles. We can’t just rely on them to direct us around the park, wholey and soley. It’s more a case of us talking together, making their role easier.

“I think they’ve been going great this year. Kris Keating, he gives 110 per cent each week. He plays that sort of game where he keeps turning up. If we’re in our own 10, he’ll have a hit-up., A small-ish five-eighth having a hit-up, he plays with a lot of ticker.”

Keating and Hodkinson shouldered the blame during the Dogs’ recent run of outs – but according to the no.6, criticism comes with the job.

“We’ve got to put up with that,” Keating says. “That’s what we do as professional footy players. We’ve got to cop it on the chin and go back to training and work hard.

“We got a win … and I’m sure people won’t say much about us (this week).”

Keating revealed the Dogs started talking about the Sea Eagles as soon as they left the field on Friday.

“Massive game – we spoke about it after (the Gold Coast match),” said Keating.

Haltau even reckoned a victory on Saturday could wipe out a forgettable May.

“You always say when you lead into a bye that that game before is a four-point win if you can get it so having won, if we can back it up again next week, leading into the bye, it’s going to settle us in the eight a bit more comfortably,” he said.

“If you put in a good performance and get a win up, you forget those times. If we were to string together two wins going into a bye, we’d be feeling pretty happy with what we’ve achieved and confidence we can build on that.”

C

chipandchase

it is all well and nice to say that, but we have no ball playing forwards.
ryan, stagg and Foster dont pass the ball.
Kasiano can ball play before the line but that is putting alot pressure on the kid and i see in the last few games he hasnt even tried, so dont know if Moore has roped him in.
Pritchard and Eastwood can pass before and through the line but they arent your traditional ball playing forwards like a Luke Lewis or Glen Stewart as examples.

the problem is Moore, we have no structure and it is putting unneccassary pressure on our halves. They have no structure or game plan to fall back on.
it will be interesting to see how Reynolds go, becasue he can make some mistakes but he can generate attack.
tbh i cant see us beating Manly but god i hope we do.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
Wholey and soley

:roflol:

Great spelling, tard.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
it is all well and nice to say that, but we have no ball playing forwards.
ryan, stagg and Foster dont pass the ball.
Kasiano can ball play before the line but that is putting alot pressure on the kid and i see in the last few games he hasnt even tried, so dont know if Moore has roped him in.
Pritchard and Eastwood can pass before and through the line but they arent your traditional ball playing forwards like a Luke Lewis or Glen Stewart as examples.

the problem is Moore, we have no structure and it is putting unneccassary pressure on our halves. They have no structure or game plan to fall back on.
it will be interesting to see how Reynolds go, becasue he can make some mistakes but he can generate attack.
tbh i cant see us beating Manly but god i hope we do.
Foster def can ball play. He just wants to do the basics right as he is dropping too much ball.

Hodgo and Ryan are the only ones that arnt really ball playing forwards, while Stagg just doesnt throw the ball much anymore.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I will be happy with the halves once they simply get a decent, threatening kicking game.

MAL75E

Man Of The Match
Reaction score
The house of payne is our main ball player foster can offload but has no confidence atm drops way to much ball he will come good give the kid time

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Barba is starting to shine really well and so is Pritchard, there was a passage of play against the Raiders when they kept the ball alive and supported eachother that proved they can put a try on when desperate.
There was a couple of times last week when breaks were made but no support was chasing, we gotta keep chasing the ball.

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
foster will come good , sort of reminds me of a young steve price , stagg disappoints me in attack whats with the backing into tackles ? then when he makes a rare line break - looks lost and thinks ,,,, what do I do now ??? We stated the game well last week - gunna have to back that up

MAL75E

Man Of The Match
Reaction score
Once we start off well we need to finish off teams cant score 2 quick trys and let them have chances

Status
Not open for further replies.