Bulldogs line up round 3

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hmmm. To quote Gus, "No, no, no, no, no".

Burton played his best game in ages at #6. He is a weapon if we can get him firing.
So, they won't move him this week, nor should they.

Taffe was again underwhelming at the back. I'd be inclined to give him one more week to show something, but if Addo-Carr is available then I would make the call now and replace the fullback. Taffe is bottom of this list of the current 1-7, so he'll have to make way for Addo-Carr.

If that happens, I'd go with Tracey (if he's match fit for #1). I am not against Crichton going to Fullback, but he, Burton, & Kikau showed something and that should be given time to develop. We might not need to lose the game's premier centre to plug a deficiency elsewhere if Tracey succeeds in the role. Furthermore, if Tracey can add more from the back, he might even further enhance that left side (and right side for that matter).

He'll be on the same mission as Taffe. Given 3-5 rounds to own the Fullback spot, or hand over to Crichton (after the bye), or possibly even Papalii if he develops enough in NSW Cup by then.

Taffe goes to reggies unfortunately, and probably plays #6 there.

No other changes for now, however Sexton did okay in NSW Cup (from reports - haven't seen the game), so Hutchison is on notice and needs to step it up over the next 2-3 rounds.

When it settles, I can see the 1-7 being: Tracey, Wilson, Kiraz, Crichton, Addo-Carr, Burton, Sexton (with Xerri & Skelton fighting for spots to cover form & injury). And Hutchison & Taffe in the reggies halves building their cases for recall.
I agree we should as Talking League says give Taaffe 3 dates lol, three games to determine whether he can keep the position. I am beginning to warm to Critta at the back considering the situation our side is in with lack of forward power and momentum.

I think out of all players he has the most potential to be good in a team that's struggling to create opportunities given a bit of space. I think Tracy is not too far behind from what I have seen of him at the Sharks playing fullback. But he never really established himself in that position and they had a pretty good pack.

But Taaffe may be a bit out of his depth. I would like to see him with a dominant pack like he showed in NSW cup at Souths. But at the moment with the Dogs weaker pack most fullbacks are going to struggle.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
CC is not going to change anything , he will stick with the same side unless someone is injured.
he showed this last year
In fact going by the press conference he is SUPER HAPPY with the side. One chipper, upbeat coach right there.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Ciraldo will pick the same team but Knight will come in for Faamausili and JAC will take his wing spot back from Tracey is my prediction.
Probably Knight for Farmer but CC talked up Tracey. Said he was outstanding. He wants to find a spot for him for sure.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Probably Knight for Farmer but CC talked up Tracey. Said he was outstanding. He wants to find a spot for him for sure.
hopefully drops Taaffe to fit him in

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If I know something about Ciro. He didn’t have a full offseason to change things after 2 outings. I always said Tracey would be my walk up starter at 1 when fit. Runs the ball back better and doesn’t stop before the line when he runs it back.

Kiraz would be my winger. Not that Wilson is the problem we are losing but again very gutsy player but he does get dragged back a bit after contact. Who plays 7 won’t change much if our starting front rower runs for 80m a game. You can try sexton or Taaffe at 7. But our hooker and half will always look Mickey Mouse when we can’t get a roll going down field. In effect always being a step behind.

We have played brave the last 2 weeks. But brave in this case doesn’t over come talent. And my worry all preseason was we never signed anyone who was a starter or a game changer (apart from critta). We filled the gaps with reserve graders but you can’t buy what isn’t available.

As long as we lower our expectation we should have a solid year. No need to lose our minds because on paper we have the worst 1, 7, 8, 10 and 13 combination in the comp.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Don’t know or care how they do it, but I’d want to see Xerri and Kautoga in there.
Hutchinson can’t be 7.
Skelton in there sooner rather than later too
Must surely immediately improve the team and give them some go forward.
We need more aggression and size.

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to Kitione Kautoga on bench.

All though knight was impressive in nsw cup I’d like to see 2 good games in a row first before promoting.

Hughes in starting 13 with one missing through concussion. Kitione joins bench with maybe Patolo replacing Morrin as well.

Addo Carr back in with an other Tracey or Taafe at fullback.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ciraldo will pick the same team but Knight will come in for Faamausili and JAC will take his wing spot back from Tracey is my prediction.
Highly likely, understandably Ciraldo is trying to establish combinations and team understandings, I do not agree with some of his selections but all I could say is he must have his reasons.

ozdog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1) Tracey
2) Wilson
3) Kiraz
4) Crichton
5) Fox
6) Burton
7) Hutchison
8) King
9) Mahoney
10) Hughes
11) Kikau
12) Preston
13) Salmon

14) Taffe
15) Curran
16) Knight
17) Morrin

Start with Hutchinson for the fist 50 minutes in the halves with his good defence and then bring Taffe on to play half back, the bloke is a natural half, played under 19’s there alongside Burton for NSW, his speed and spark will trouble the Titans big blokes in the last half hour of the game, Hutchison was good taking the line on but is just too slow, someone with Taffes pace and fresh will cut teams apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rumdogmillionaire

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Here is a radical idea...

Trust Ciraldo and trust the process.
And the alternative is ...?
Like you I trust CC.
He's the coach after all & he's with the crew 24/7.
Personally, I'd like to see more faith in Sexton ...appreciate that Hutch's D is probs superior - but his pace is limiting,even if his brain/vision is not.
That must be frustrating for Hutch, he has the smarts. But perhaps that's why he never really cracked it at the chooks.
Also love to see Skelton get his chance. We need him - but his error count in reggies needs to improve. He defs has the offensive grunt we need.
Taafe looked good v Sharks. So too our left edge.
Burto strong - needs some quick bodies backing up in the middle. Billy Slater like - how fucking hard is that!?? Read the play - react/support!!
Middle forwards ... Hmmm - therein lies our biggest problem. No surprises.
But do we need both Mann and Salmon??
Or do we invest in a little more power running & hitting in D?
Kautoga, Jack Todd?? - (Or the old dogs - Knight/Tetevano - which seems a bit of a backward step at the mo for mine).

Gotta say - I am loving the new defensive intensity so far in 2024. It hasn't given us wins just yet, but it's waaaay better than 2023.
Defence behind the marker is still a BIG PROBLEM!!! Teams are rolling us straight up the guts. We're vulnerable to the old Touch footy '21 play'.
We need to rotate better defensively in those situations.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
And the alternative is ...?
Like you I trust CC.
He's the coach after all & he's with the crew 24/7.
Personally, I'd like to see more faith in Sexton ...appreciate that Hutch's D is probs superior - but his pace is limiting,even if his brain/vision is not.
That must be frustrating for Hutch, he has the smarts. But perhaps that's why he never really cracked it at the chooks.
Also love to see Skelton get his chance. We need him - but his error count in reggies needs to improve. He defs has the offensive grunt we need.
Taafe looked good v Sharks. So too our left edge.
Burto strong - needs some quick bodies backing up in the middle. Billy Slater like - how fucking hard is that!?? Read the play - react/support!!
Middle forwards ... Hmmm - therein lies our biggest problem. No surprises.
But do we need both Mann and Salmon??
Or do we invest in a little more power running & hitting in D?
Kautoga, Jack Todd?? - (Or the old dogs - Knight/Tetevano - which seems a bit of a backward step at the mo for mine).

Gotta say - I am loving the new defensive intensity so far in 2024. It hasn't given us wins just yet, but it's waaaay better than 2023.
Defence behind the marker is still a BIG PROBLEM!!! Teams are rolling us straight up the guts. We're vulnerable to the old Touch footy '21 play'.
We need to rotate better defensively in those situations.
Compared to Tbaz & Pay.... Ciraldo already has better signs in both playing style and recruitment/retention. That is why I trust him, I know it is not a high bar but all I can ask for is gradual improvement considering where we have been in the cellar of the competition.