Bulldogs line up for next year

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we wanted and we're able to get JAC we'd have him already. Certain that club has already walked away from that, just as we did with Mitchell when we saw his heart wasn't set on coming here.

I'd expect us to spend big on young stars such as Burton and Staines. With the newly created coaching team, I think it'd be easier to sell the club as a destination where they can firstly get more game time plus improve as players. They'll be more prepared to buy into the vision of the club, knowing that it's a project rather than a finished article.

JAC and the like won't be as attracted by that but will want more immediate success but and more money. I just don't see us being able to or wanting to get players like him
I don't think we can afford both JAC and Grant or Smith unfortunately - not for 2021 at least and we wouldn't consider any back ended offers. Hooker is priority. We can easily afford JAC for 2022. If we decide now to shed Hopoate at the end of next season we could easily throw 700K at Crichton for 2022 when's he's off contract. We'll be hoping that Burton and Averillo develop further. Surely we can afford a few "proven" star outside backs.

Souths FFS have Mitchell on 800K, Gagai on around 700K, Roberts on 550-650K, Reynolds on 750K, Walker on 750K just in the backs + try scoring machine Alex Johnston on 350K or more, then in the forwards Cameron Murray on around 700-750K and Cook on around 800K plus Jai Arrow coming in next year on big money.

Roosters have Tedesco (1M), Keary (700K soon 900) and Manu (around 700K).

Raiders have Wighton (900K - 1M), Crocker on around 750K etc.

Surely we can afford JAC (650 - 700K), Cotric (650K) and Crichton (700K) - IF we make up our mind NOW to shed Hopoate (around 550 - 600K). If we don't for some reason have the dollars then we've managed our cap very, very badly.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Don't think it's as easy as saying "Let's get rid of Hopoate now" A lot of things would have to fall in place for that to happen, as you'd want to know 100% you've got someone quality lined up to replace him ... which in the current climate isn't going to happen. Plus, he'd have to agree to leave.

I think JAC is simply someone that I wouldn't spend the $$ on. Sorry. I'd prefer to spend that on a decent centre (someone whose position is actually centre) or a player whose position is actually fullback.

I just don't want to go down that road again of pushing square pegs into round holes. At this time I'd take Bird at centre than JAC at fullback. Sorry.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't think it's as easy as saying "Let's get rid of Hopoate now" A lot of things would have to fall in place for that to happen, as you'd want to know 100% you've got someone quality lined up to replace him ... which in the current climate isn't going to happen. Plus, he'd have to agree to leave.

I think JAC is simply someone that I wouldn't spend the $$ on. Sorry. I'd prefer to spend that on a decent centre (someone whose position is actually centre) or a player whose position is actually fullback.

I just don't want to go down that road again of pushing square pegs into round holes. At this time I'd take Bird at centre than JAC at fullback. Sorry.
No worries. Everyone has a different opinion.

I'm not talking about getting rid of Hopa early. He's off contract at the end of next season along with the others below.

Jake Averillo, Dean Britt, Christian Crichton, Blake Green, Will Hopoate, Sione Katoa, Lachlan Lewis, Jeremy Marshall-King, Nick Meaney, Dylan Napa, Ofahiki Ogden, Jayden Okunbor, Chris Smith, Reimis Smith, Renouf To'omaga

If we consider we'd rather go in a different direction from this November we can sign a replacement for him for 2022. Hopa is on around 550 - 650K from what I've read. Panthers are offering Crichton 500K reportedly. If we could swing Crichton for an extra 100-150K we'd be mad not too. We have the advantage of already having his brother (who we could re-sign on close to minimum wage) plus his current assistant coach in Barrett.

If there were a decent fullback available on the market I'd say chase him but there isn't. Some on here were keen for Milford for 500K or more. Many bagged Latrell Mitchell saying he would never make a decent fullback because of his fitness and attitude. Bellamy and Billy Slater have both backed JAC to make a fist of it at fullback. They're better judges than me. As long as he can catch he's better than any option we have. He has good hands as far as I know. I think I read he played a lot of footy as a fullback when younger. JAC I believe is a better bet to make a dynamic fullback than Staines (who has only played a few games in first grade). Tigers are only offering JAC around 500K reportedly so it's not like we'd have to pay him anywhere near Latrell Mitchell money.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
No worries. Everyone has a different opinion.

I'm not talking about getting rid of Hopa early. He's off contract at the end of next season along with the others below.

Jake Averillo, Dean Britt, Christian Crichton, Blake Green, Will Hopoate, Sione Katoa, Lachlan Lewis, Jeremy Marshall-King, Nick Meaney, Dylan Napa, Ofahiki Ogden, Jayden Okunbor, Chris Smith, Reimis Smith, Renouf To'omaga

If we consider we'd rather go in a different direction from this November we can sign a replacement for him for 2022. Hopa is on around 550 - 650K from what I've read. Panthers are offering Crichton 500K reportedly. If we could swing Crichton for an extra 100-150K we'd be mad not too. We have the advantage of already having his brother (who we could re-sign on close to minimum wage) plus his current assistant coach in Barrett.

If there were a decent fullback available on the market I'd say chase him but there isn't. Some on here were keen for Milford for 500K or more. Many bagged Latrell Mitchell saying he would never make a decent fullback because of his fitness and attitude. Bellamy and Billy Slater have both backed JAC to make a fist of it at fullback. They're better judges than me. As long as he can catch he's better than any option we have. He has good hands as far as I know. I think I read he played a lot of footy as a fullback when younger. JAC I believe is a better bet to make a dynamic fullback than Staines (who has only played a few games in first grade). Tigers are only offering JAC around 500K reportedly so it's not like we'd have to pay him anywhere near Latrell Mitchell money.
600k for JAC would be a good buy. Even if he doesn't work out at fullback. We can give him first crack at fullback tho.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Also by the looks of it for the contracted Storm players we'd have to give a player. I'm thinking players like Okunbor, Reimis or Ogden would be players we'd have to sacrifice. They're not going to want a Lewis, DWZ or Napa. The Storm need wingers badly.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Staines
JAC (for Reimis - they aren't going to take Okunbor off an ACL injury)
Cotric
Roberts
DWZ
Averillo
Burton

Is this possible? :tearsofjoy:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Staines
JAC (for Reimis - they aren't going to take Okunbor off an ACL injury)
Cotric
Roberts
DWZ
Averillo
Burton

Is this possible? :tearsofjoy:
No because Hopoate will play centre or fullback. F Roberts. Green will also make the team when he returns from injury, unless Averillo and Burton were flying.

pupmichelle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon the team will look like this;

Hopoate
Dwz
Cotric
R.Smith
Okunbor
Averillo
Wakeham (Green injured)
Napa
JMK
Thompson
RFM
Jackson
Elliott

To'omaga
Ogden
C. Smith
Wardell/Britt/Doorey

Wooden spoon favourites by a country mile

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
We are t getting Staines and we aren't getting Burton in 2021. Maybe 22 or a mid season switch up

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
This is the team I'd go for if I want a premiership next year. All doable.

1 Meaney
2 Okenbor
3 Cotric
4 Schoupp
5 DWZ
6 averillo /Green
7 Townsend
8 Aaron woods
9 Nathan Peats/Harry Grant
10 Josh Maguire
11 Joel Jackson
12 Adam Elliott
13 Luke Thompson
-
14 JMK
15 RFM
16 Ogden
17 Napa

Juicydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

1 Meaney
2 Okenbor
3 Cotric
4 Schoupp
5 DWZ
6 averillo /Green
7 Townsend
8 Aaron woods
10 Josh Maguire
11 Joel Jackson
12 Adam Elliott
13 Luke Thompson
-
14 JMK
15 RFM
16 Ogden
17 Napa
Bro fuk off bak to lebanon

Qdog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

1 Meaney
2 Okenbor
3 Cotric
4 Schoupp
5 DWZ
6 averillo /Green
7 Townsend
8 Aaron woods
10 Josh Maguire
11 Joel Jackson
12 Adam Elliott
13 Luke Thompson
-
14 JMK
15 RFM
16 Ogden
17 Napa

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Interesting in tomorrows crunch match against the chooks , Ricky Stuart preferred moving Ropana instead of Cotric into the centres. He does not think much of Cotric as a centre