Bulldogs forward Frank Pritchard set to face action over high tackle

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bulldogs forward Frank Pritchard set to face action over high tackle but experts say the hit was fair

It was the shoulder charge that was still being felt around rugby league circles yesterday.

Bulldogs enforcer Frank Pritchard is set to be charged today for his bell-ringer on Penrith's David Simmons during Saturday night's 22-14 win over the Panthers.

While Simmons was left heavily concussed and spent most of the night recovering in hospital, Pritchard found no shortage of supporters who felt it would be an injustice if he was suspended.

"You never want to see anybody knocked out, but I thought last night's tackle was an accident, and I'd hate to see Frank rubbed out," said Fox Sports commentator Laurie Daley.

"I thought it was a great hit," said former Balmain enforcer Paul Sironen.

"I know anything around the head these days is a no-no, but that wasn't anything bad."

Even some of Simmons' teammates were anything but dirty with Pritchard, and said they would be upset if punished for such a tackle.

Simmons yesterday wrote on Twitter: "Thanks for the concerned tweets everyone, feeling better today after a couple of Panadol."

Pritchard landed in hot water for a similar shot on Cronulla's Wade Graham last year, only to have the charge downgraded.

Bulldogs officials have already started sounding out their legal options, with Geoff Bellew - the high-flying lawyer who successfully got Pritchard off during the Graham case - now a NSW Supreme Court judge and therefore no longer available.

In what will be a busy day for the match review committee, Melbourne's Billy Slater was placed on report for his high shot on Canberra opposite Josh Dugan on Saturday night.

Newcastle's Timana Tahu also landed in hot water for his kneeing incident on the Dragons' Matt Prior during Thursday night's golden-point extra-time thriller.

Dugan yesterday defended Slater's high shot and did not believe his rival No.1 would have a drama. "There was not much in it," Dugan said yesterday.

"I just remember waking up and looking up at the big screen. I don't think he has too much to answer for.

"It was pretty much an accident and that happens in footy."

Melbourne skipper Cameron Smith said: "It warranted a penalty, there's no doubt about it, but you can see it bounces off his shoulder."

Match review committee chairman Greg McCallum has been gagged from discussing the cases as part of the new guidelines set out with the ARL Commission.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...the-hit-was-fair/story-fn2mcuj6-1226289053929

luke

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
even though he will be free to play they should still challenge, carry over points can murder you later on in the year

Status
Not open for further replies.