Bulldogs' cultured search for NRL answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Former coach Chris Anderson should be appointed Canterbury's football boss to oversee Dean Pay as NRL coach, according to Matthew Johns.
Source:
AAP
3 HOURS AGO
Canterbury's search to recapture their famed culture will likely have to go beyond Chris Anderson, with the club legend not believed not to be interested in a role at the NRL club.

The Bulldogs' culture has been smashed since Des Hasler was sacked on Tuesday, with former players Graeme Hughes, Willie Mason and Reni Maitua particularly scathing.

Mason and Maitua each blamed Hasler's six-year tenure for eroding the history of the Bulldogs, and were staunch in their support of a former Canterbury player returning as coach.

Canberra assistant Dean Pay looks the most likely to fit that category, after he last played for the Bulldogs in 1995.

He has already gone public in his interest for the job.

There were also calls from Matthew Johns for Anderson to take a role in the football department, similar to Phil Gould's at Penrith, where he could oversee any rookie coach.

Johns played under Anderson at Cronulla in 2002 and has long been an admirer of his work.

"I would have serious consideration to bring Chris Anderson back into the fold at the Bulldogs just to be involved with the team behind the scenes and to guide Dean Pay," Johns told Triple M Sydney on Thursday.

"Chris Anderson ... he's one of the most-loved coaches out there. He understands how to give the team back to the players."

Anderson played 230 games for the Bulldogs from 1971-84, and was on the wing in their 1980 grand-final victory.

The Bulldogs' life member was voted into their 70-year team of champions in 2004.

However, it's understood he would not be interested in stepping back into such a role at the Bulldogs.

Meanwhile, fellow head-coaching candidate Todd Payten said on Thursday morning he was yet to hear from the Bulldogs.

Payten is an assistant to Paul Green at North Queensland, and has previously worked at the Wests Tigers and as a junior NSW coach.

"I've been around long enough to know if they are genuine in their interest, they will come to me. And that's something that hasn't happened yet," he said.

"I have an ambition to be a head coach. I'm not sure when that will happen."

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
PS we haven't contacted Payton because we are not interested. All bullshit from the media...AGAIN.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Former coach Chris Anderson should be appointed Canterbury's football boss to oversee Dean Pay as NRL coach, according to Matthew Johns.
Source:
AAP
3 HOURS AGO
Canterbury's search to recapture their famed culture will likely have to go beyond Chris Anderson, with the club legend not believed not to be interested in a role at the NRL club.

The Bulldogs' culture has been smashed since Des Hasler was sacked on Tuesday, with former players Graeme Hughes, Willie Mason and Reni Maitua particularly scathing.

Mason and Maitua each blamed Hasler's six-year tenure for eroding the history of the Bulldogs, and were staunch in their support of a former Canterbury player returning as coach.

Canberra assistant Dean Pay looks the most likely to fit that category, after he last played for the Bulldogs in 1995.

He has already gone public in his interest for the job.

There were also calls from Matthew Johns for Anderson to take a role in the football department, similar to Phil Gould's at Penrith, where he could oversee any rookie coach.

Johns played under Anderson at Cronulla in 2002 and has long been an admirer of his work.

"I would have serious consideration to bring Chris Anderson back into the fold at the Bulldogs just to be involved with the team behind the scenes and to guide Dean Pay," Johns told Triple M Sydney on Thursday.

"Chris Anderson ... he's one of the most-loved coaches out there. He understands how to give the team back to the players."

Anderson played 230 games for the Bulldogs from 1971-84, and was on the wing in their 1980 grand-final victory.

The Bulldogs' life member was voted into their 70-year team of champions in 2004.

However, it's understood he would not be interested in stepping back into such a role at the Bulldogs.

Meanwhile, fellow head-coaching candidate Todd Payten said on Thursday morning he was yet to hear from the Bulldogs.

Payten is an assistant to Paul Green at North Queensland, and has previously worked at the Wests Tigers and as a junior NSW coach.

"I've been around long enough to know if they are genuine in their interest, they will come to me. And that's something that hasn't happened yet," he said.

"I have an ambition to be a head coach. I'm not sure when that will happen."
Maybe a different role....

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think pay has it. Doubt the dogs would sack Hasler without having known who will take over.

Would be a massive stuff up if they wanted pay but he ends up in U.K. I'm sure they are just formalising the paper work which will be presented at the board meeting next week to be signed off on.

Would be all for Anderson and even Kevin Moore coming back in some capacity. Can't believe Andy Patmore is still around but Kevin Moore who was responsible for the whole 2012 team hasn't stepped foot back (he even made the right call with idris and recruited graham, stagg, jorris, Ennis etc).

I would be happy for Moore to get a run with the u20s team or team manager or something.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Does a rookie coach in Payton seriously think that he should wait for a club to come to him? Arrogant much....or did I miss something?
So you think its arrogant for a rookie coach to wait and see if someone offers him a job?? Please. Would it be less arrogant to go to any number of clubs saying you should hire me?? You got it twisted bro.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the key failings of the Des era was a lack of oversight.

We needed someone to watch over him and make sure he was on a leash.

We need to do the same with the new head coach and Anderson or in my view, hagan would be the best.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would love Anderson back in our club.
I think he would love to come back personally... Sat next to him at the back to Belmore game against the storm, he still loves the club dearly.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yes please, but for the role quoted. Not as head coach

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does a rookie coach in Payton seriously think that he should wait for a club to come to him? Arrogant much....or did I miss something?
Think he's actually saying it's unlikely he will be approached about applying and if the club was interested they would have made some contact - which is probably how the process normally works.

Nothing big headed about that - realistic if anything.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Anderson would be a perfect overseer at the club, he would help in gettin the players and the club back to its roots and involve many ex players as mentors etc. He is also a great people person and would be perfect in our recruitment process too.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sick of hearing about the culture bullshit.

The games changed. Gone are the days of big hits (thanks Greenturd/Grant), and so teams once feared for their brutal approach, have to drop that from their arsenal.

To games gone soft as fuck, and most culture has eroded from all clubs (not just the Dogs).

Rugby League more than ever is a business, nothing more, nothing less.

To say that though, Wrestling is a business as well.

Until the NRL change Rugby league from a business model back to a sport, it'll continue to suffer culturally.

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score

The games changed. Gone are the days of big hits (thanks Greenturd/Grant), and so teams once feared for their brutal approach, have to drop that from their arsenal.

To games gone soft as fuck, and most culture has eroded from all clubs (not just the Dogs).

Until the NRL change Rugby league from a business model back to a sport, it'll continue to suffer culturally.
This is a great point how could we ever get back to the brutal dogs of war without being penilised out of the game?

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very similar to how manly have bozo back behind the scenes so Barrett can coach
Think Anderson would be a helpful edition even Steve folkes in a strength and conditioning role maybe I think that's steves fortae too would be worth looking at bulldog with pay and dymock even Steve georgalis players had big wraps on him at the rith when he was care taker coach and turned out reggies around and could assist bringing some of the reggies up to fg cause we have some talent running round in there

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'll just wait and see who we get. I get sick of speculation about players we're supposedly bringing in. It's even more annoying that we're going to possibly have to put up with the media talking about coaching possibilities as well. We're even getting the advice from a couple of players that now want to talk about the clubs culture after having shat on the club in the past with their behavior then going where the money was. If I want to hear advice about how to do runners from taxi's I'll ask Willie Mason. If I want to hear advice about what performance enhancing drugs to take I'll ask Maitua. Why the fuck these guys are being questioned in relation to what they think is good for our club is beyond me. They're hardly the role models that we should be hoping to hear from. It's ridiculous.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Agree 100% on the culture. 2013 Trent Robinson. Zero games for the Roosters.

2014 macguire zero games for the rabbits

2015 paul green a season or two with the cows but most his career with the sharks.

2016 Flanagan zero games for the sharks.

Having said that I would like an ex bulldog for our coach but the culture line is bullshit and just gets trotted out for shit clubs. Exactly the same as the mental issues line gets trotted out every time a player fucks up.

Status
Not open for further replies.