Bulldogs coach Des Hasler calls for NRL referees to undergo a comprehensive education

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Kind of General section Rugby League but also Bulldogs related:

"Since round one Des Hasler has sent “18 or 20” queries to Archer, small video clips with a small note: Why wasn’t that a penalty for incorrect play-the-ball? What happened with that obstruction?

Forty-eight per cent of the time Archer has called back, according to Hasler, saying they made the incorrect call."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ducation-program/story-fnp0lyn3-1227296026167

Malla

Reaction score
He's very methodical with his approach, and I love it.

The NRL is pretty serious about coaches not being able to comment in pressers about refs, so I guess Des is taking the business approach, and he will keep doing this until we get answers.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

"Since round one Des Hasler has sent “18 or 20” queries to Archer, small video clips with a small note: Why wasn’t that a penalty for incorrect play-the-ball? What happened with that obstruction?

Forty-eight per cent of the time Archer has called back, according to Hasler, saying they made the incorrect call."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ducation-program/story-fnp0lyn3-1227296026167
And still nothing changes!!!

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
48% or 98% lol

Legend23

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Legend Des. Dont let them rest mate.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I get people make mistakes but what gets me is that most of the time its the video ref that stuffs up and its normally on ab actual rule not something grey ,they should be so easy

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Education is good, but at the very least castrate them, future generations would thank us.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Reasonable article for a change until Kent makes the comment " At some time we need to end this".
Why do we need to end this: the NRL expects coaches and players and fans for that matter to be perfect, but they don't have to be? The likes of the Greenberg and co would happily let us think that there is only one coach in the NRL who has a problem with referee blunders, that one person being Des.Well guess again. These little conversations between Tony Archer and coaches are by the sound of it, a pretty common occurrence. If the blokes I had working for me made as many errors as the guys currently officiating our NRL games seem to I guess I would also duck for cover every time the phone rang.Surely though, that would also mean I would be trying to improve their strike rate so those calls would be uneccessary.
Who are they kidding,when according to the article 48% of the calls under question were found to be faulty? If my maths is correct and I am pretty sure it is,that means the officials are only just making a pass grade on the level of questioned decisions.That is items bought to the attention of Archer and not including any that are not.Failure should not be an option but these results are not exactly top of the class material.
Some of the errors being made in a game may not adversely effect the outcome and we should acknowledge that, but sometimes they do and these are the ones that concern coaches, players and fans alike. In the case of Brad Arthur, as much as it pains me to say, the error pointed out by him most certainly did fall into that category. It is very obtuse of Archer to say that it was only one try of many,but it was the one that broke the camels back shall we say. That sort of comment doesn't sit well if the NRL are aiming at a better strike rate and are trying to convince us that they are getting it right more often.
Des surprisingly gets a pat on the back from Kent for his solution to the problem, educate coaches better.But I ask the question should we not educate the onfield officials to a better level as well. Clearer rules, no room for interpretation should be one of the things that they are first taught, oh and learning to accept that they don't always get it right might be nice as well.
The minute we stop questioning decisions is the minute the NRL wins and their officials truly become untouchable.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
He really is being quite PRAGMATIC and REASONABLE isn't he?

He's pushing the NRLs buttons all the right way!

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bulldogs coach Des Hasler calls for NRL referees to undergo a comprehensive education

How about they have an IQ test first to indicate that they can be educated.

Status
Not open for further replies.