News Bulldogs chasing their tail

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Are they frightened that if they made Crighton fullback (I wouldn't) that Papali'i would go to another club?
Whenever I see Joash with the ball in his hands, I get 2003/2004 JT flashbacks (I know the positions on the field are different). I would not try developing Critta as a a full back unless I had plans for Joash in another position, and, if this were the case, the club would be playing him in that other spot now.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All these other clubs seem to roll out pretty decent 18 year old rookies, and we seem to continually hold off until they're "old enough". I'm not so convinced all of them would go backwards by developing in the nrl instead of in nsw cup... so long as they're physically up to it. If CC doesn't play Tracey at fullback then I'd rather see him play papalaii over Taffe

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be completely honest. Critchon is the best centre at the club. Possibly in the comp at the moment. He would be a bottom 5 fullback. Do we keep him on the left edge and let him and JAC build their combo. Possibly into origin and have a deadly edge. Or do we move him after 3 games and throw him at fullback and possibly take a year to get him accustom to playing the one.

The few occasions he played there for Penrith he didn’t look great. Do we weaken one position? I still think Tracey is our strongest fullback and will make the 170+m a game that will help us (with our lack of forwards and meter eaters). I’m sure critta is a step up from Taaffe. But not sure he will ever be in the discussion with turbo, teddy, pinga, Walsh, gutho. Is it worth moving one of if not the best centre for a top 10 fullback?

If it was Manu then 100% but not sure if it’s worth weakening our left edge. Unless critta wants the new challenge. Then I’d say fair enough if he is looking for that and wants to be that player then sure.
agree re Tracey. I think he’s our best fullback until Joash is ready.
If Crighton was to become a Turbo type fullback, then ok, but that would take a FULL offseason + to get there. Not a round 4 change up.
Taaffe just is t the answer unfortunately. Who knows though, he may be a better half the Hutchinson

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All these other clubs seem to roll out pretty decent 18 year old rookies, and we seem to continually hold off until they're "old enough". I'm not so convinced all of them would go backwards by developing in the nrl instead of in nsw cup... so long as they're physically up to it. If CC doesn't play Tracey at fullback then I'd rather see him play papalaii over Taffe
Key difference is bar the Tigers who literally had no choice, most of those sides picking these kids have a decent side they are coming into. We would be expecting the bloke to be the messiah and that isn't fair. I just hope if he does play we need to calm the horses so to speak

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At home the Bulldogs are the bet of the week. They won’t be losing.
However if by chance they get beaten, the season is over. A bottom 2 finish Is eminent

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
However if by chance they get beaten, the season is over. A bottom 2 finish Is eminent
Bet of the week? You could give me $2.20 and they wouldn't be. Knights are for me, if they can't beat the Storm without both halves they should join us for the spoon battle.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Couple of seasons ago parra lost there first 4 then made the finals.

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have got to think training being behind close doors. Dogs know this is a big game to put the outside noise to rest. Titans don’t seem to be under the same pressure even know they were smashed in round 1. Feeling we will be up for this game this weekend!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are going to debut a young 18 year old into your squad, you’d preferably want your squad to have their act together and be dominating games so they can protect the young bloke from big bodies running at him … did you see the way Haumole Olakau'atu targeted Luke Keary on the weekend ..

Personally I like to see these kids come of the bench when we’re winning and have 20/25 minutes to go so they find their feet …. can you name any 18 year olds that are consistently doing well in the Nrl at the moment ?

Sent from my iPad using The Kennel mobile app

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I don't care that Crichton isn't FB because to me it signalled that our time of trying to manufacture / change players positions was over. Yet here we are and fucking Kiraz is at centre, Tracey on the fucking wing etc. Fucking over dog shit team selection tbh.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Games like this tend to not go well for us... Hasler and Foran back at Belmore, past players tend to roll us.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
agree re Tracey. I think he’s our best fullback until Joash is ready.
If Crighton was to become a Turbo type fullback, then ok, but that would take a FULL offseason + to get there. Not a round 4 change up.
Taaffe just is t the answer unfortunately. Who knows though, he may be a better half the Hutchinson
I’d definitely try him at half if the coach and GM are desperate to find a position for him. Hutch is good enough to be on the bench. Very versatile. But Taaffe would only get decent mins off the bench with a game ending injury or hia to an outside back or half. Can’t see him coming on roaming. Where hutch can play a bit of 9 or centre or back row if needed.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I’d definitely try him at half if the coach and GM are desperate to find a position for him. Hutch is good enough to be on the bench. Very versatile. But Taaffe would only get decent mins off the bench with a game ending injury or hia to an outside back or half. Can’t see him coming on roaming. Where hutch can play a bit of 9 or centre or back row if needed.
Taaffe can play 1/2, 5/8, centre, wing and fullback plus dummy half at a pinch.

Always a Bulldogs

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus come out and said we wasnt getting terrell may to
Do you seriously believe a word Gus says? I have no doubt Gus is doing his best to get Terrell May across whether he gets there or not is another matter.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have signed a bunch of very willing footballers who have had a real go in the opening two rounds. There's no doubt about the efforts. The fears I had with our signings before the season started is that aside from Crichton we have signed rejects and second grade players from other clubs. We do need the efforts to turn into wins as the efforts without wins will wear down the players confidence, morale and 1% plays.

We have blown up our 2021 roster despite re-signing a few players in 2022 and we are still no clearer to what our spine is going to be. Taafe is no upgrade on Meaney and Averillo. Hutchinson isn't a halfback. We've burned through Sexton. JMK is playing much better than Mahoney currently and his 2022 season with us far better than Mahoney's time with us. There's still no certainty over Burton's best position in the team.

In 2022 we move Averillo to fullback where he begins to make a good fist of the position. We signed a reserve grader who played 7 games in 2 years with Parramatta and decide he's going to be the fullback. Averillo gets burned out of the system at Canterbury and Perham failed in the position. Now we have signed a reserve grader from Souths to be the fullback when a lot of his NYC football was elsewhere. Crichton at the time of signing indicated he would like a shot at fullback and has been used at fullback when Edwards hasn't been available. Not with the greatest of success. We should have been preparing for him to be there from day one more so since we have plans to use Kiraz as a centre whether we agree or disagree.

Taafe and Hutchinson are just Perham all over again.

I think in the type of team we have Crichton probably needs to be the fullback. He's the best player in our team. But how much training and investment was put into him as a fullback during the off season?