News Bulldogs' chase of Napa and Liddle sparks chain reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Throw Klemmers money at Cameron Munster.

We won't get Cook back. He's chasing $$$ that we just do not have.

There are so many better options at hooker available.
Reece Robson NSW U20s player fo the year for 2018 is available (and stuck behind McInnes at Dragons).
Blayke Brailey
Jayden Brailey (off contract 2020).
Kurt Baptiste
Wayde Egan
Manase Fainu
Karl Lawton (albeit injury prone).
Reed Mahoney
Mitch Rein (albeit injury prone and getting on).

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Big f#@king mistake.
Napa isn't a meter eater
Doesn't play minutes
goes missing in big games
Is suspended a lot, and
Will cost too much coin

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here, about to hit you with some TRUTH!

What truth you say?
Read on...

This is my position on this situation.

Klemmer is an ‘enforcer’ and meant to represent someone who brings forward mongrel and experience.

Canterbury essentially want to replace like for like. Similar player style. That part is well documented and obvious.

The ‘twist’ I think is that because the bulldogs salary position is still troublesome they want to ‘taper off’ a bit and not get someone at marquee price, yet a similar player.

This is where Napa is ideal.
He has got grunt, plays like a beast but not as good not consistent as Romper Stomper. So they are buying like for like for a discount. Like swapping Telstra for Optus. Both will do a job and hopefully most times the difference won’t be noticed, but it’s a lot cheaper. We swap very good niche for pretty good niche, helps the salary cap and is a move that could pay off if he comes good. He certainly has potential. Nasheed.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can’t see anything to get excited about in Napa. Can someone reassure me because the following stats are damning:

Foxsports stats

Klemmer 23 offloads to Napa's 3!!!!!!!!
Klemmer 30 tackle breaks to Napa 9!!!!!!
Klemmer 25 missed tackles to Napa 35
Klemmer 3, 845m to Napa 1, 419 !!!!!!!!!!!!
Klemmer 11 penalties to Napa 17

NRL stats
Klemmer averaged 16.7 hit ups for 181m Napa averaged 7 runs for 76m
Klemmer made 24 offloads Napa made 5 offloads
Klemmer's tackle efficiency is 92% Napa's is 86%
Klemmer post contact metres 1650 Napa post contact meters 542
Klemmer tackle breaks 38 Napa tackle breaks 13

Napa would have been good a few years ago. As far as I can see the game has passed him by and the Roosters are lucking out by getting rid of him now.
Here’s the most important stat:-
Klemmer will be playing for the Knights in 2019.
All you muppets that want to statistically compare -Klemmer/AFB with Napa must look at how teams (that’s 17 players)distribute workloads. Let’s take Manly & the Roosters:-
At Manly they have T Trbojevic making big metres from kick returns & J Trbojevic, Taupau & AFB doing the majority of hit ups. Where have Manly finished the last 3-4 seasons?
Napa :-Let’s look at the Roosters; this season alone their back 3 have been the biggest metre gainers, throw in Mitchell & Manu they have 4 big mobile bodies & Teddy’s speed & tackle breaking ability- the Roosters forwards don’t need to do a lot of the hard yards. Oppositions are on the back foot, when they do get possession, The Roosters forwards are relatively fresh , sting in defence & hit in numbers dictating Ruck speed allowing them to dominate.Check the stats and you’ll see how evenly their workload both in attack & defence is distributed. Balance across the park is key. Friend & Radley act like sweepers in defence.JWH has an amazing motor & can play big minutes. This allows the likes of Tetevano & Napa to come on in short bursts & whack!
Stats alone don’t tell the full story!
It’s no coincidence that they’ve won 4 minor premierships & 2 premierships in the last 6 years.
Granted they have a fantastic roster but they play to a system. The Cowboys, on paper at least had the roster to win the comp but their execution & intensity was poor.
In summary Napa will (if indeed comes across) be beneficent for the Dogs & quickly gain cult status

Last edited:

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can’t see anything to get excited about in Napa. Can someone reassure me because the following stats are damning:

Foxsports stats

NRL stats

Napa would have been good a few years ago. As far as I can see the game has passed him by and the Roosters are lucking out by getting rid of him now.
Interesting stats.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Foxsports stats

NRL stats

To be fair. Napa was in a team with JWH, Radley(lock) and Taukehiao...

Klemmer was competing with ineffective Tolman, Elliot (lock) and a bunch of junior forwards finding their feet.

Of course Napa wouldnt get through as much work as klemmer would, the workload was shared between other dominant forwards. And tbh, he played a different role than klemmer did.

Klemmer was carrying the whole front row.

Stats are a good indicator dont get me wrong. But there are alot of factors that contribute to those stats, whether comparing players from the same team or different teams.

The Napa deal is just about done. And for the final time. For what was on offer to us, he was by far the best option for replacing klem (other players mentioned did not want to come over). 650k is a bullshit figure. Its between the 450k to 500k mark. For that price, its worth the gamble.

Last edited:

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All you muppets that want to statistically compare -Klemmer/AFB with Napa must look at how teams (that’s 17 players)distribute workloads. Let’s take Manly & the Roosters:-
At Manly they have T Trbojevic making big metres from kick returns & J Trbojevic, Taupau & AFB doing the majority of hit ups. Where have Manly finished the last 3-4 seasons?
Napa :-Let’s look at the Roosters; this season alone their back 3 have been the biggest metre gainers, throw in Mitchell & Manu they have 4 big mobile bodies & Teddy’s speed & tackle breaking ability- the Roosters forwards don’t need to do a lot of the hard yards. Oppositions are on the back foot, when they do get possession, The Roosters forwards are relatively fresh , sting in defence & hit in numbers dictating Ruck speed allowing them to dominate.Check the stats and you’ll see how evenly their workload both in attack & defence is distributed. Balance across the park is key. Friend & Radley act like sweepers in defence.JWH has an amazing motor & can play big minutes. This allows the likes of Tetevano & Napa to come on in short bursts & whack!
It’s no coincidence that they’ve won 4 minor premierships & 2 premierships in the last 6 years.
Granted they have a fantastic roster but they play to a system. The Cowboys, on paper at least had the roster to win the comp but their execution & intensity was poor.
In summary Napa will (if indeed comes across) be beneficent for the Dogs & quickly gain cult status
Yeh in a way that’s true. Dogs whole game plan may change. We’re all sitting here like experts comparing like for like...lol

The recruitment committee of Pay, Anderson, Mark Hughes, McDonnell, Holmes and Andrew Hill have probably sat down for hours and dissected how we want to play the game and the players they need to execute how we want to play.

While I’m not a big Napa fan, we should see what happens on the field first.

We played the Broncos at homebush this year while Klemmer was out suspended. We made 1700 meters as a team, we belted them in defense and put 36 points on them without Klemmer. Only time will tell.

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
someone with logic, in this forum

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We played the Broncos at homebush this year while Klemmer was out suspended. We made 1700 meters as a team, we belted them in defense and put 36 points on them without Klemmer. Only time will tell.
That's what some of us are saying though, that we'll get by without spending all of our free cap space on another prop. You can find props from anywhere and we can get by with who we have.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I’m not a big Napa fan, we should see what happens on the field first.
My problem with this is we did this with SheRex Foran Woods and Lichha and see how that panned out... with our cap predicament I just dont see how we can fork out 650k on a “let’s see” when other areas such as the spine have required immediate attention for a long time.

Plus, I just don’t rate Napa at all, well, not for anything over 350k

timetopisshasleroff

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Props are overrated in the game nowadays, well the ones that only play 30 mins out of 80 each week.
Simply put if you had the choice if you could pick ferguson or napa for 500k a year who would you take and beleive most beneficial? No brainer.

I think pay is still stuck in the 80s, we need attacking options not agrressive players who play in spurts.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Napa stats are a bit deceiving. Most of his games he was on the bench.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But don't we have Klemmer at a good price? isn't this why him and his wife are so disgruntled?
Is this not our good fortune? We already have Klemmar at a good price no point trading him in for a shitter version around the same money.
Apparently we are offering Napa big bucks, that's just stupid. Like I said we have the Aussie prop on fair money. Let's bleed the ****. Club first. Fuck him and his feelings. I'd rather him in reserve grade for two years until someone really offers a good deal. We have an ace up our sleeve. We don't have to buckle to any *****. People say about negativity rubbing off. If these adult men can't handle some whining fuck wit we don't want them.Keep Klemmer in isolation if need be until he begs to play agin. I think we should never let him go.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
But don't we have Klemmer at a good price? isn't this why him and his wife are so disgruntled?
Is this not our good fortune? We already have Klemmar at a good price no point trading him in for a shitter version around the same money.
Apparently we are offering Napa big bucks, that's just stupid. Like I said we have the Aussie prop on fair money. Let's bleed the ****. Club first. Fuck him and his feelings. I'd rather him in reserve grade for two years until someone really offers a good deal. We have an ace up our sleeve. We don't have to buckle to any *****. People say about negativity rubbing off. If these adult men can't handle some whining fuck wit we don't want them.Keep Klemmer in isolation if need be until he begs to play agin. I think we should never let him go.
First of all every number quoted so far by media is a guess..
But the majority of them say klemmer is on big bucks next year and the year after, if he were to stay..
Also id be very surprised if we paid more than 500k for Napa.
and finally being spiteful is just dumb and no one wins out of that ..

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we won't miss him if he leaves then we won't miss him rotting in reserve grade.
We could groom someone we already have to do Nappa's job.
It sends a message that I think needs to be sent. And at least Knights will take full freight and GIVE us Ramien heavily discounted.
Knights need him more than we need to offload him.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If we won't miss him if he leaves then we won't miss him rotting in reserve grade.
We could groom someone we already have to do Nappa's job.
It sends a message that I think needs to be sent. And at least Knights will take full freight and GIVE us Ramien heavily discounted.
Knights need him more than we need to offload him.
What universe do you live in?

jshellshear

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Knights screwed us around by not releasing Cogger. Why the hell are we rolling over with Klemmer?

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why should we help the Knights and release our only Aus rep?
Maybe another club will give us a BETTER deal.
it has nothing to do with helping the knights .. I'm still a bit shocked that people struggle to grasp this situation..

Status
Not open for further replies.