Broncos show Bulldogs how to recruit

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is this thread about? Just another excuse to shit on the dogs?

The recruitment of Bird doesnt make much sense for the Broncos. They're basically emulating us now with a center and 5/8 in the halves and no kicking game.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm exactly how 3rd party agreements work in regards to their limits etc?? It seems incredibly unfair for a one city team like the broncs to be able to potentially offer so many 3rd party deals. Surely its capped right?
No it's outside the salary cap provisions and therefore is unlimited, but that doesn't mean a "Bird" can get paid a dollar by the Broncs and the rest in TPA. His value is assessed by the salary cap auditors and that value is part of the cap. So, in Birds case they assess his value at say $700k pa which would be the market rate and then whatever he gets above that in TPAs is his to enjoy. It's a lot more complicated than that with backended deals and various other allowances but in simple terms that's how is works.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Really at the end of the day, it's a dud signing for the cheatcos:
1) He plays 5/8th. Milf plays HB. Milf ain't a HB and they are stuck with the same problem we are, two 5/8ths with no kicking or organisational skills(well we do have a HB but some idiot won't start him)
2) He plays Lock. He ain't a lock, too small and will get dominated in the forwards. Would be the most expensive lock in the history of rugby league.
3) He plays FB and boyd moves to 5/8 and milf to HB. Boyd ain't a 5/8, milf ain't a HB. Two guys out of position.
4) He plays centre. Very expensive centre and still no HB.

All up, a player they don't need and a complete waste of money.

Last edited:

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think that most people are overlooking the fact that a lot of thought would've been put into the Bird signing and the Broncos wouldn't have signed him if they didn't know where to play him. Don't be surprised if Bird comes out next season playing the old lock style player where he would play like both sides of the field. Don't underestimate his toughness, this kid played a grandfinal with a broken arm. Nikorima is a talented halfback that hasn't been given his opportunity yet and he is extremely similar to Hunt in the way he plays.

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the Broncos are paying Bird $1m how much is Darius Boyd worth?

Broncos are nothing without Boyd

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I think that most people are overlooking the fact that a lot of thought would've been put into the Bird signing and the Broncos wouldn't have signed him if they didn't know where to play him. Don't be surprised if Bird comes out next season playing the old lock style player where he would play like both sides of the field. Don't underestimate his toughness, this kid played a grandfinal with a broken arm. Nikorima is a talented halfback that hasn't been given his opportunity yet and he is extremely similar to Hunt in the way he plays.
In this scenario, they end up with the most expensive lock in the history of rugby league and two 5/8's. I just can't see a win for them in this.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The Broncos keep doing this year after year, splashing endless amounts of cash, it's almost as if they don't have a cap. Bennett is getting desperate trying to buy the premiership.

stclair

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It won't make sense though if they offer a 33yr old Cronk more than what they'd pay young gun Bird. Lucky we have stumbled onto Frawley who has looked great in a few games. We might not be able to afford Reynolds if we get Tedesco
Stumbled?... What he was just prone in the belmore carpark and rae tripped over him holding a contract and fell on his pen?...

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stumbled?... What he was just prone in the belmore carpark and rae tripped over him holding a contract and fell on his pen?...
If you think it was a master stroke that Frawley was even playing first grade then good on you. He only played because Mbye was suspended and then got extended minutes after Abbey's HIA.

stclair

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If you think it was a master stroke that Frawley was even playing first grade then good on you. He only played because Mbye was suspended and then got extended minutes after Abbey's HIA.
I said nothing of a master stroke champ... Someone at the club had the nous to bring him on board... Irrespective of why he entered first grade, or minutes played, credit where its due plain and simple...

Last edited:

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You cannot compete with Brisbane regarding recruiting, their 3rd party payments alone get players onboard and whilst i will be howled down for saying it where would you prefer to play and live, Belmore or Brisbane?
I grew up in the area and loved it but its a no brainer for most, sun and freedom in Brissy or Belmore and before people suggest that they all live in the shire thats part if the reason why Bird is going, to get away from the shire.

I get the threads intent but think it is impossible to compare the two to be fair.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I said nothing of a master stroke champ... Someone at the club had the nous to bring him on board... Irrespective of why he entered first grade, or minutes played, credit where its due plain and simple...
Well it does matter in relation to my comment. We stumbled upon him because he wasn't meant to play first grade. It's just like how we stumbled upon a great player like Cook and somehow let him leave. You can give props to whoever recruited him to play NSW Cup if you like. The fact Frawley has been named on the bench and not been given the starting 7 is baffling considering the impact he has had in such a short amount of time.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Well it does matter in relation to my comment. We stumbled upon him because he wasn't meant to play first grade. It's just like how we stumbled upon a great player like Cook and somehow let him leave. You can give props to whoever recruited him to play NSW Cup if you like. The fact Frawley has been named on the bench and not been given the starting 7 is baffling considering the impact he has had in such a short amount of time.
Cook came from the Dragons to us because he couldn't get a start with them!! We gave him a start and he did well and the Rabbits offered him $350k and he ran. How could we justify dropping that amount out of our cap for a second hooker when Lichaa still had 2 years to run on his contract? Why wasn't Frawley meant to play FG? He's been training with the side all year. What he was only there to pick up the gear after the session? Kids get opportunities through bad luck. He got his - went well and has kept a spot in the side. I'm not unhappy that he is starting off the bench at this stage. He needs time to adjust to the game at this level so he doesn't end up another lattrel Mitchell. In fact Des has a long history of easing young players into FG. He even did it with Mbye. I have no doubt that if he continues to improve he will be the permanent HB for the team but he has to be developed to get there not just tossed in.

stclair

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If he "wasn't meant to play first grade" he wouldn't have played first grade... There are other options available at the club, or were they signed not to play too?
Do you really believe players are signed to only bolster Reggie's?... I'm sure they are signed for development, and to play first grade in the instance of injury or showing great form (which he hasn't in Reggie's)...
Agree he should be at 7 after his display thus far with ball in hand... Though his defence is not yet first grade standard...

Last edited:

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the Broncos are paying Bird $1m how much is Darius Boyd worth?

Broncos are nothing without Boyd
Why didn't we make a play for Jack Bird? Why didn't we go after Mitchel Moses? He can play five-eighth, centre, fullback. What about signing some outside backs like a quality winger or centre? Our recruitment is simply pathetic! Hasler can't attract any quality players because he has spent overs on players like MBye

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
On one of the Fox shows they were talking about when the Donks signed Mundine one of the reasons he signed was to play 5/8, yet he played the season at centre.

Is Wayne maybe telling him what he wants to hear....?

stclair

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why didn't we make a play for Jack Bird? Why didn't we go after Mitchel Moses? He can play five-eighth, centre, fullback. What about signing some outside backs like a quality winger or centre? Our recruitment is simply pathetic! Hasler can't attract any quality players because he has spent overs on players like MBye
How do you know we didn't?... Cos it wasn't in the press?... Maybe inquiries were made privately, and they were both asking too much...

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What is this thread about? Just another excuse to shit on the dogs?

The recruitment of Bird doesnt make much sense for the Broncos. They're basically emulating us now with a center and 5/8 in the halves and no kicking game.
Yep! just another thread from some johnny cum lately to use it as an excuse to shit on the Dogs, Jack Bird and the Friday night Donkeys have nothing to do with "Bulldog discussions!!! so,,,,, Mr Maderator close this dumb ass thread.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he "wasn't meant to play first grade" he wouldn't have played first grade... There are other options available at the club, or were they signed not to play too?
Do you really believe players are signed to only bolster Reggie's?... I'm sure they are signed for development, and to play first grade in the instance of injury or showing great form (which he hasn't in Reggie's)...
Agree he should be at 7 after his display thus far with ball in hand... Though his defence is not yet first grade standard...
Because Des doesn't drop players. He has his favourites and the form of players in reggies doesn't matter. I don't care to argue semantics with you. If Mbye doesn't get suspended we never see Frawley. It's great that Frawley put himself in a position where it wasn't logical to drop him but that doesn't mean his playing first grade was a planned move by the club for him to be the first choice half back.

Status
Not open for further replies.