Broncos cleared

Status
Not open for further replies.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Police say there is insufficient evidence to charge three Broncos players investigated over the alleged sexual assault of a woman at an inner-city nightclub.

Fullback Karmichael Hunt, winger Darius Boyd and forward Sam Thaiday were questioned by police after receiving a complaint from a 24-year-old woman, who had been with the players at the Alhambra Lounge in the Fortitude Valley on September 13 just after 8pm.

She made a formal complaint to police two days later.

The players had been on a day-long drinking session after an NRL semi-final victory the previous night.

Hunt, Boyd and Thaiday were quizzed by investigators and their mobile phones seized for forensic examination.

Police today said there was also insufficient evidence to lay charges against four footballers who had been investigated over drug allegations stemming from video on seized mobile phones.

Deputy Police Commissioner Ian Stewart said people "could be absolutely confident that the right decision was made".

Commissioner Bob Atkinson said six footballers - four Broncos players and two others from another Brisbane football team - were investigated over sex assault and drug allegations.

"There was insufficient evidence in relation to either incident to press charges against any suspect," Mr Atkinson said.

"The Honourable Tim Carmody SC overviewed the brief of evidence at my request and concurred with police findings."

Brisbane Broncos CEO Bruno Cullen will hold a press conference at the club's Red Hill headquarters at 3.30pm

Suprise suprise

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Unlce Rupert wouldn't let anything happen to his investment.

Speak up, Gallop...

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I read in the paper that they were fined 20k,

DoGs_R_dA_BeSt™

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Police say there is insufficient evidence to charge three Broncos players investigated over the alleged sexual assault of a woman at an inner-city nightclub.

Fullback Karmichael Hunt, winger Darius Boyd and forward Sam Thaiday were questioned by police after receiving a complaint from a 24-year-old woman, who had been with the players at the Alhambra Lounge in the Fortitude Valley on September 13 just after 8pm.

She made a formal complaint to police two days later.

The players had been on a day-long drinking session after an NRL semi-final victory the previous night.

Hunt, Boyd and Thaiday were quizzed by investigators and their mobile phones seized for forensic examination.

Police today said there was also insufficient evidence to lay charges against four footballers who had been investigated over drug allegations stemming from video on seized mobile phones.

Deputy Police Commissioner Ian Stewart said people "could be absolutely confident that the right decision was made".

Commissioner Bob Atkinson said six footballers - four Broncos players and two others from another Brisbane football team - were investigated over sex assault and drug allegations.

"There was insufficient evidence in relation to either incident to press charges against any suspect," Mr Atkinson said.

"The Honourable Tim Carmody SC overviewed the brief of evidence at my request and concurred with police findings."

Brisbane Broncos CEO Bruno Cullen will hold a press conference at the club's Red Hill headquarters at 3.30pm

Suprise suprise
if that was us, the investigation would still be going on

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I read in the paper that they were fined 20k,
Broncos club fined the players 20K each. Gallop hasn't opend his mouth yet. It's probably stuffed with something.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
hehe i guess as to what is in it

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
20k plus potential third party losses for Thaiday and *****.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Broncos star Karmichael Hunt 'let down mum' over sex scandal

By Robyn Ironside and Karl DeKroo

November 11, 2008 10:16am

REMORESEFUL Brisbane Broncos star Karmichael Hunt has admitted he felt like the "scum of the earth" when he realised he had disappointed his mother because of sex assault allegations.

Hunt and teammates Sam Thaiday and Darius Boyd today apologised to family, fans, sponsors and Broncos management - but noticeably missing was any offer of apology to the woman who brought the complaint against the players.

"I just want to apologise for my behaviour in the incident," Hunt said. "By no means was it illegal, but in most people's eyes ethically it was incorrect."

A team of 12 police investigators probed allegations of sexual assault on a 24-year-old woman in a Brisbane nightclub toilet on September 13.

Police cleared the three over the alleged assault and also declined to lay charges over a subsequent drug allegation probe.

Hunt also lost his girlfriend Emma Harding.

Gallery: Bronco stunner Emma Harding

Hunt said it had been a difficult period for his parents and it was their disappointment that caused him the most regret.

"I still live with mum and dad, and it's been pretty stressful the last couple of weeks for them," he said.

"What do you do when you've let your parents down? You feel like the scum of the earth."

Thaiday also admitted it had been hard seeing his mother's anguish and both he and Hunt said they would take more care in the future.

"It's going to make me sit back and think about my actions and what I do in the public eye," Thaiday said.

"I just can't afford to have something like this happen again."

Hunt also suggested there would now be an "always on" mentality within the camp, no matter the time of day or night.

"It's got to be calculated that people are out there whether we're doing the right thing or the wrong thing," he said.

With intense media scrutiny, police investigation and club pressure, Boyd described the weeks since the allegations emerged as character building.

"Since it's happened I've definitely learned a few things. I think it's made me a better person," he said.

Hunt and Thaiday will each lose at least $40,000 in fines and sponsorship.

The Broncos said they would fine Hunt and Thaiday $20,000 each. Boyd would also be slugged $20,000 - despite leaving the club for St George-Illawarra.

In addition to the fine, Hunt and Thaiday - who each earn more than $200,000 a year - face the loss of personal sponsorships. They are both on their final warning with the club.

Hunt will also lose more than $60,000 in third-party agreements while Thaiday will be out of pocket an extra $20,000.

Chief executive Bruno Cullen said the tough penalties were punishment for bringing the club and the game into disrepute.

"I think they were very, very stupid in putting themselves in a position that led to what we have been through the past six weeks," Mr Cullen said.

He described the penalties as a "fair whack in today's financial conditions".

"The players will be subjected to sanctions with regards to deals with sponsors ... we've been advised by those sponsors they will no longer be endorsing their products," Mr Cullen added.

The allegations made by the woman related to an incident at the Alhambra Lounge nightclub in Fortitude Valley on September 13.

Police were told the woman accompanied one of the players into a disabled toilet for oral sex. They were then joined by two more players who also engaged in sex acts with the woman.

A complaint was filed with police just one hour later.

Mr Cullen denied the Broncos offered the woman a financial inducement to withdraw her complaint.

"That's a disgusting, ridiculous comment. I don't even know who that woman is," he said.

Mr Cullen also stressed none of the Broncos were investigated for taking drugs, even though two players were questioned by police in relation to phone footage of drug use.

Police confirmed the footage did not involve Broncos players but said one of the men questioned over the sexual assault allegations and another player were questioned, along with two footballers from other Brisbane clubs. In that investigation police also found insufficient evidence to lay any charges.

Queensland Police Commissioner Bob Atkinson said he was satisfied the matter had been thoroughly investigated with independent reviewer Tim Carmody SC agreeing with the conclusions drawn by police.

Police said the woman at the centre of the allegation has accepted their decision not to lay charges.

Mr Atkinson said the complainant would certainly not be charged despite the investigation costing "several thousand dollars".

"That would happen extraordinarily rarely. These are sensitive and difficult and delicate matters and I think it would be a sad day where police chose to prosecute a woman who made a complaint of sexual assault," Mr Atkinson said.

"What it could do is limit a woman's willingness and preparedness to do that."

Source: The Daily Telegraph
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24634372-5001021,00.html

matt

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Happy to see them cleared!

I think the penatly is pretty fair, 20k fine, counciling and no more chances. Hopefully this teaches them a lesson to behave when they are out!

Jay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
O.J simpson was found not guilty, but we all no he did it.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Gallop? Got anything to say?

B.A.Baracus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A mate of mine told me two weeks ago that they were going to be cleared and he's heard from some policemen mates that if these guys weren't high profile broncos players they'd be biting pillows in D wing. Allegedly there was a similar case at the same time with LESS evidence and the alleged offenders (who were not high profile sports stars) were looking at long stretches of pillow biting.

This mate also told me last year about a few high profile players and one VERY high profile player in the broncos who love the white powder. This was way before the pictures on the mobile phone were allegedly found.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well I think it's safe to say that the man with the golden voice is a coke head. He was there when the other cokehead was doing it. I find it hard to believe he wasn't doing it too.

B.A.Baracus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you saying that if the question came up on Who wants to be a Millionaire you'd safely say lockitineddie?

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
LOL.

Yes I would. Without a doubt.

B.A.Baracus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I don't want to get this site sued. At the same time I don't want to sound arrogant and claim to be "in the know".

Funny how a player is almost always "injured". Hmmm

Do they do tests at the club training or randomly at the players homes?

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think at trainning. Not 100% sure on that.

B.A.Baracus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember Joe-E Johns? He had a few "injury" problems as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.