Brisbane Broncos plan to shed under-achievers in the coming months

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennyb

Waterboy
Reaction score
Ashton Sims, Ben Teo, Lagi Setu and Joel Clinton - all under contract until the end of 2010 - are the players the Broncos are looking to off-load.

Between them, Clinton and Sims take up an estimated $530,000 of Brisbane's salary cap. Teo is reputedly worth about $200,000, while Setu, who arrived at the club after a breakthrough season with St George Illawarra, is worth about $120,000.

(guys wondering on your thoughts about ben teo)

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cant defend to save his life. Can hit, ill give him that. But his defenive reads are poor - and he hasn't exactly flourished at the Broncos.

Would not mind Setu though

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We already took their best forwards.

I would take none of these guys. There is a reason the broncos are offloading them and getting belted by 50 every week.

TJ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We already took their best forwards.

I would take none of these guys. There is a reason the broncos are offloading them and getting belted by 50 every week.
Because they have them all on the field at once.

I think if we get one of them at a decent price and add it to our squad, i think clinton may offer more then hickey as a bench prop but i think he would ask for a salary that is too high. In saying this our squad is pretty much sured up next year, i dont think there will be any more external signings, just managing our player retention from within now.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
If Eastwood does leave at seasons end, i wouldnt mind Setu then.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Cant defend to save his life. Can hit, ill give him that. But his defenive reads are poor - and he hasn't exactly flourished at the Broncos.

Would not mind Setu though
Setu has the exact same problem. He keeps on running in to try and put a shot on with a shoulder charge and even does it on his own line.

Teo is talented but like you said, has more than a few flaws and hasn't amounted to anything in plenty of chances at the Tigers and Brisbane. Setu I did rate at Saints but he's done nothing there either.

Clinton cops more sh*t from people than he deserves, he's still a handy prop and I can see him back at Penrith.

So now from all of this have Brisbane realised the error in their ways in prioritising a 450k winger, backup hooker and 2 talented but mediocre second rowers over a rep prop, hooker, international second rower, rep fullback/winger, another second rower whos' one of the best workhorses in the NRL and Kemp and Moon?

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Setu has the exact same problem. He keeps on running in to try and put a shot on with a shoulder charge and even does it on his own line.

Teo is talented but like you said, has more than a few flaws and hasn't amounted to anything in plenty of chances at the Tigers and Brisbane. Setu I did rate at Saints but he's done nothing there either.

Clinton cops more sh*t from people than he deserves, he's still a handy prop and I can see him back at Penrith.

So now from all of this have Brisbane realised the error in their ways in prioritising a 450k winger, backup hooker and 2 talented but mediocre second rowers over a rep prop, hooker, international second rower, rep fullback/winger, another second rower whos' one of the best workhorses in the NRL and Kemp and Moon?
No they have not

morgandogs

ARMIT LOVE
Reaction score
if they r wanting to get rid of them all tey are either way over the cap or they have a target in mind they must not need depth in their squad lol brisbane is imploading

QLDGirl

queensland rock
Reaction score
There were rumours Clinton wanted out himself, as for the rest Im not sure its a case of being over the cap. I think its the simple case of not performing which none of those mentioned really have. I think Setu could be given another go but Im not fussed either way.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
No thanks. We have enough ex-Broncos. I don't highly rate any of those players either. Nothing we can't produce in our reserves.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
totally agree...i don't think we're gonna be making any huge signings for awhile

matt

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I would get rid of Sims, Teo, Marsh. Michaels needs to go or be moved to the wing. Gorrell is already going. Hunt is also going.

Clinton I would keep. His done well this year considering and we need all the props we can get. Setu has potiental, keep him on a cheap contract.

Should be enough money to sign a few good players, first up a quality prop or 2. Matt Scott should be a priority if he hasnt already re-signed?

I think the majority of decent players are off contract at the end of 2010, so we will probably go for a few then. We have been on the wrong end of player movements for the last few years, hopefully that changes.

matt

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What props are we going to sign to replace Clinton for next year?

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
to be honest with ya mate i don't know but seriously they should consider replacing clinton because he hasn't offered much imo

matt

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Clinton has been going alright this year. While yeah his not the best going around, we need as many props as we can get, and theres noone really who can replace him for next year. Take out Clinton and all we have is Kenny, Mcguire for next year..lol

Id like to see us sign Matt Scott, have him starting with Kenny. Then have Clinton, Mcguire come off the bench, which would be a respectable pack imo. Depending on what type of forwards are available next year, we could look to offload him or offer him a reduced contract. What his on atm is too much.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
do the broncoes have any players worth keeping, very avarage lot are
beale,clinton, glen, gorrell, hewit, hunt, pj marsh, kenny, mcculloch, mcguire, michaels, parker, setu, sims, teo, tupou, wallace, wapau

maybe the keepers are lockyer, thiaday, hodges, folau

Status
Not open for further replies.