Brisbane Broncos confirm interest in dumped Wallabies winger Lote Tuqiri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Brisbane Broncos confirm interest in dumped Wallabies winger Lote Tuqiri

July 02, 2009
Brisbane Broncos have joined the growing list of NRL clubs interested in picking up dumped Wallabies winger Lote Tuqiri if rugby union's million-dollar man wants to return to rugby league.

"We'd be very happy to take him back," said Brisbane coach Ivan Henjak when Tuqiri's named was thrown up after the Broncos trained on Thursday morning.

Tuqiri played all his 99 NRL games for the Broncos, winning the 2000 premiership and representing Queensland and Australia as well as playing three Tests for his native Fiji before rugby union swooped with a mind-boggling offer to switch codes in 2003.

"It's a pity they didn't release him a few days earlier," added Henjak with the NRL's deadline to register player expiring on Tuesday.

While the registration deadline is officially June 30 for clubs, NRL chief executive David Gallop has the power to grant an exception if the circumstances warrant.

Brisbane this week took former defensive enforcer Tonie Carroll back from retirement and several years ago welcomed back another old favourite Allan Langer after he quite the club and went to England to play.

"We'd have a look at it, he'd be a good addition," said Henjak.

"I don't mind the old fellows, there's plenty in the NRL doing a good job.

When reminded Tuqiri's salary was around $1 million a season, Henjak smiled and said "he might come back home at a discount price."

"I'm sure he'd have a lot to offer as long as his attitude was good and he was in good shape and with his experience, he would have a tremendous amount to offer.

"We haven't considered it yet. It's only just happened but it's something we can talk about.

With young fullback Karmichael Hunt confirming he would head overseas with his girlfriend to play rugby union next year, Tuqiri would be a good pick up for Brisbane who could consider another of options for the fullback job, including even playing Justin Hodges in the role.

But Brisbane captain Darren Lockyer said he doubted his good friend Tuqiri would return to the NRL given the amount of money he could get playing rugby overseas.

"I'm sure there'll be clubs who will talk to him but we can't compete with the money those guys can get overseas.

"We'd love to see him back in a Broncos jersey, but that's very ambitious.

"We have to be careful of setting precedents and it's all just come to light in the last 24 hours so a lot of things have to happen before he makes a decision.

"But I'm sure there'd be plenty of clubs, league and union in Australia and overseas, looking to get his signature."

Lockyer said he would wait for the dust to settle before talking to Tuqiri.

"It will be interesting to see what happens," he said.

"I'm sure in the last 24 hours he has has plenty of phone calls but when the dust settles I'll probably get in contact with him."

Other NRL clubs, including Gold Coast Titans and Parramatta, haven't wasted any time declaring their interest in 29 year-old dual international, who has one of the best resumes around.

Apart from his rugby league record, he has represented the Wallabies 64 times, scoring 30 tries.

AAP

D

dogs_4 lyf

Yesterday their Ceo said he has no space under the cap. Psht

The_General

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They will offer him $500K. It seems to be the standard price they offer big name wingers.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Surprise, surprise. I said this yesterday because: A) The Broncos love paying 400k for outside backs and B) They set aside so much money for Hunt who is leaving and now have that money to spend.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
ud all jizz if he came to our team tbh

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
As long as we don't offload five players, ala Broncos.
ofcourse, no player is worth getting if it means you have to let go of 5 players. unless they are complete duds :p

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Doesn't he still have a Waratah's contract worth $750,000????

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
here we go again,,,
1st july 2009 the broncoes have no room under the salary cap.
2nd july 2009 the broncoes are interested in lote tuqiri,
the broncoes are the same as the roosters, how do they manage to stay within the salary cap

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Doesn't he still have a Waratah's contract worth $750,000????
since his aru contract is torn up wouldn't that negate the waratah 1? or is it like the cricket australia contract?

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
since his aru contract is torn up wouldn't that negate the waratah 1? or is it like the cricket australia contract?
Im pretty sure it's seperate like Cricket.

The ARU and S14 are a different Entitiy, I think. Anyone Clarify?

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Nope, the salary he is on is topped up by the ARU, its not separate like cricket.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
ud all jizz if he came to our team tbh
ye the two dreadlock boys on the one side...

no thanks tbh...he's old and doesn't have much years left in him anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.