Brandon Smith contract news: Storm grants star early release

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Titans are getting Cam Smith for one season if he decides he wants to play on for one more season. Thus why the Titans weren't included in the email asking for clubs who are keen. Warriors will pay overs, and that really comes down to what the Warriors can promise they are doing with the club. Bulldogs look like they are on the up, and the Warriors, well I'm not sure they are.

And as for the light hearted part. Training for a premiership is a long road. You need characters around the club, some who like a joke, others who are deadly serious about what they do. That balance is no different to the sort of players you need in a team on field. But what the light hearted bloke will do is after a hard session, is crack a few jokes, and make everything feel it was worth it.
See this is where my opinion differs regarding the whole "Titans not on the email list" thing.
Now if Cam Smith plays for one season at the Titans, then they would be right in the frame for the "Cheese" as he is been offered for 2022 after Cam Smith's one year deal at Titans ends. So I'm not reading too much into them being left off the group email.
It could well mean that he already has an offer from the Titans on the table & the manager is just shopping him to others.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Santa,
All I want for xmas is Brandon Smith and Burton for 2021!

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He's obviously a good player but as @Malla has said he's probably a bit immature for what we need.

I keep banging on about this but we'll have essentially three 2nd year players in the spine, (assuming Burton comes early) we really need some leadership and experience in that 9 role. Cameron McIness is 26 and has a great temperament, strong leadership, does the 1% stuff you need from your dummy half and is all effort.

Malla

Reaction score
He's obviously a good player but as @Malla has said he's probably a bit immature for what we need.

I keep banging on about this but we'll have essentially three 2nd year players in the spine, (assuming Burton comes early) we really need some leadership and experience in that 9 role. Cameron McIness is 26 and has a great temperament, strong leadership, does the 1% stuff you need from your dummy half and is all effort.
Yep.. maybe if we were a team with established players in key positions we could bring him on.

Agree on the McInness signing. Can't believe he is only 26...thought he would be 30 but case in point he is 2 years older than Cheese and look at the different in maturity and impact that could have to your club.

What old mate trying to argue the case for Cheese doesn't get is if we sign him on he is effectively the experienced player in the spine and the guy that will essentially lead by example. Do you want someone like cheese who loves to get on the turps, talk a bunch of shit online and glorify a drinking culture leading our young guys through their next few year of development? Big fat NO to that.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
People going on about brandon smith being a loose cannon fmd he had a bender after winning a gf what’s wrong with that
He's been on that bender since 16 years of age bro, he was cut loose by the Cowboys for being an absolute shit bag at a young age before being re-signed and nothings really changed since then. Outside of playing NRL all he seems to do is drink. That's not healthy for him or a team environment. All his best "memories" are based around his mates and drinking and that's from his own mouth.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I just dont agree with that. I think Smith is a bit of a piss head that we don't need in the team at the moment. Storm system is different - you play in a team that literally spoon feeds you keeps it simple for ya, plus you are playing behind the greatest player ever. It's not gonna be that easy for him at the dogs where he can get on the piss for 7 days (prob take some acid and MDMA too) and fly under the radar. You know more than anyone that shit would not fly as a doggies player. The media would be alllllll over it... the way he was celebrated by most media outlets for going on a bender after the GF would definitely NOT be the narrative as a doggies player.

If he can clean that up, then sure why not. But I don't think he ever will and for that he is not what we need. He is too immature. Good footy player, but too immature as a person.
What about Munster? He's a loose **** on the piss, fighting Ben Hunt, trying to stay out of origin camp, why don't Melbourne let him go?

Malla

Reaction score
People going on about brandon smith being a loose cannon fmd he had a bender after winning a gf what’s wrong with that
Lol not fussed about the bender at all but he plasters himself all over social media about it, does interviews while off his chop and makes an absolute fool of himself doing it.. is this the type of flog you want playing for the Dogs??

Malla

Reaction score
What about Munster? He's a loose c*** on the piss, fighting Ben Hunt, trying to stay out of origin camp, why don't Melbourne let him go?
Munster is probably the best 5/8 in the competition who has built a career on delivering in big moments... grand finals, origin deciders etc.

He's not going anywhere lol

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talking about winning comps and you're concerned about keeping JMK lol.
Hahaha, so you’re not a fan of JMK. He never came to the club as a hooker he was the best option we had at the time. Has done quite well since coming over from the Tigers and can play in the halves or lock if need be. Yes there are better options than him in the way of hookers, B Smith being the most sought after but all clubs need players like JMK who at least put in unlike some others.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As long as it is Napa and not Thompson for the swap. And we don’t pay over 650k , It’s a good thing.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
What about Munster? He's a loose c*** on the piss, fighting Ben Hunt, trying to stay out of origin camp, why don't Melbourne let him go?
The difference is Harry Grant. If he wasn't in their system, they would be tightening B.Smiths leash

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep.. maybe if we were a team with established players in key positions we could bring him on.

Agree on the McInness signing. Can't believe he is only 26...thought he would be 30 but case in point he is 2 years older than Cheese and look at the different in maturity and impact that could have to your club.

What old mate trying to argue the case for Cheese doesn't get is if we sign him on he is effectively the experienced player in the spine and the guy that will essentially lead by example. Do you want someone like cheese who loves to get on the turps, talk a bunch of shit online and glorify a drinking culture leading our young guys through their next few year of development? Big fat NO to that.
100% mate.

We also need to remember, Brandon is still kinda unproven in the NRL as a full-time hooker

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Brandon was dropped by Madge once for not "meeting standards" too. I think it was the day before a game.

I'd still take Smith in the right money

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
People can change, Elliot is in our senior playing group and he likes a piss up as we all know lol.

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Would take him as a utility / backrower/ fill in hooker at the right price. Would rather McInnes as our no.9 .
Would be great to have in our squad though

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it's a risk with Brandon, based on his "off field" issues, but I think with Baz and our new culture it could work. I'm not aware of what happened at the Cowboys but he's been at the Storm for a few years now so he can't be that bad as they don't tolerate dickheads

As people have mentioned the Storm are now willing to let him go because they just happen to have someone better. If they didn't have Grant, they would not be letting Smith go - somehow they would be able to live with his drinking.

At this point I would offer him a 2-year deal with behavioural clauses built in. Take it or leave it champ

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Brandon Smith suits the dogs to a tee.

Reminds me.so much of Micheal Ennis. He is a pest, competitor, can lift the team up, can direct a team, has that old school bulldog mentality. His personality is the type we are desperately missing.

We would be crazy not to have him at our club. Burton Flanagan Smith and a top FB are players we can build our club around. All young, competitive and very hungry. Would make for an exciting future for the Dogs.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So many clubs interested in the cheese. Seems like everyone wants a good hooker these days and there aren’t enough to go around.