News Braidon Burns tips brutal pre-season under Cameron Ciraldo

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Braidon Burns spent two seasons being coached by Cameron Ciraldo while playing Holden Cup at the Panthers and has warned his Bulldogs teammates to expect hell when the most in-demand man on the market takes over next year.
“I did two army camps with him in the pre-season, so it’s going to be tough,” Burns said.

“I’ve done a couple of his under-20s pre-seasons and they were tough, so I think he might want to put his foot down when he takes over next year.”

Cameron Ciraldo and Brent Naden celebrate after winning the 2015 Holden Cup grand final. Picture: Gregg Porteous

Cameron Ciraldo and Brent Naden celebrate after winning the 2015 Holden Cup grand final. Picture: Gregg Porteous
Ciraldo’s early years in the under-20s competition gave a clear insight into his potential as a coach, with Penrith making back-to-back grand finals, including premiership success in 2015.

Success has followed him to the NRL where he’s helped the Panthers make the past two deciders, winning last season’s grand final over South Sydney.

Teams have been chasing his services for a while now but he’s officially off the market, with the Bulldogs landing Ciraldo on a five-year deal as the club looks to become a powerhouse once again.

“He knows what it takes to win,” Bulldogs skipper Josh Jackson told the NCA NewsWire.

“The Panthers have been in the last two grand finals and won it last year, so he knows what successful teams look like. He knows how they train, what their traits are and what it takes to get them to win, so I think that’s really important.”

Jackson spoke with Ciraldo on Monday just to touch base, and you could see the excitement in the veteran’s eyes knowing that the club he loves finally has some long-term security after churning through three head coaches and a couple of interims since he debuted in 2012.

Josh Jackson with former Bulldogs coach Des Hasler. Picture: Jonathan Ng

Josh Jackson with former Bulldogs coach Des Hasler. Picture: Jonathan Ng
“To have a coach come in and put their structures in place and bring coaches and players that they want and feel will be successful takes years,” he said.

“In the past, the coaches that have come in haven’t had that much time, so I think it’s a great move to bring him here for five years.”

Some see the length of the deal as a gamble, but according to Burns, Ciraldo is the perfect man for the job because he knows how to develop raw talent into something more.

“He values the stuff that nobody sees,” Burns said.

“He was a great coach. He found ways to get the best out of his players, and I think the way he approaches the game and what he values will be really good here.

“I’m not too sure if his philosophies have changed since then, but I’m really looking forward to him coming here.

“I was a young bloke coming through the 20s and I’d grown up coming through the rugby union systems. I hadn’t played rugby league since I was under-12s, so he taught me all the structural stuff.

“I think he’ll be huge for the younger players because he understands the game so well and communicates with everyone really well.

“We’re all excited to crack on next year.”

Ciraldo has worked closely with Nathan Cleary, arguably the best player in the NRL. Picture: AAP Image/Glenn Hunt

Ciraldo has worked closely with Nathan Cleary, arguably the best player in the NRL. Picture: AAP Image/Glenn Hunt
Superstar winger Josh Addo-Carr met Ciraldo a couple of months ago while doing sprint training and says it’s fate that he now gets to be coached by a man touted as rugby league’s next big thing.

“I think it was a sign,” he said.

“I’m stoked that we’ve finally got a coach here long term who can help us boys be the best players that we can be. I think he’s the type of coach who can help us do that.”

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Guys are not reticent in talking about their faith in Ciraldo yet it was like pulling teeth getting them to recognise Potter over Baz.

Puzzling.
Your spot on, the only thing I can think of is phycology in that Potter was the guy who came in replacing Baz whom the playing group loved (likely through accepted mediocrity and drinks with the boys) but Ciraldo is far removed from that circus

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Our best centre? Wow that says a lot about the lack of quality centres we have...Burns is mediocre standard
That's very true Piggy.

Was thinking the same thing then saw your post

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Your spot on, the only thing I can think of is phycology in that Potter was the guy who came in replacing Baz whom the playing group loved (likely through accepted mediocrity and drinks with the boys) but Ciraldo is far removed from that circus
You are correct.

Baz did accept mediocrity.

That means that if he stayed at Dogs there would be no impetus (or ability) to change and aim higher.

Now, we are well and truly on the way up.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Good.. That's exactly what the squad has been lacking for years and what we used to be renowned for as a club year after year..
Yeah, I say cane them this off season.

Having superior fitness can clearly be the difference between winning and losing a close game.

I also think of several games this year we led and just faded due to lack of fitness - Brisbane (twice), Souths, Cowboys and I'm sure there are others.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah, I say cane them this off season.

Having superior fitness can clearly be the difference between winning and losing a close game.

I also think of several games this year we led and just faded due to lack of fitness - Brisbane (twice), Souths, Cowboys and I'm sure there are others.
The biggest reason the Cowboys have made a huge jump this season is because they look fitter and stronger than most teams and way fitter than they were last season. Having a huge preseason that pushes these guys to the limits will eventually lead to more wins and finishing games stronger.