News Blocker backing new dog

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
ONE of rugby league’s toughest ever enforcers has come out swinging in defence of underfire Canterbury Bulldogs recruit Tevita Pangai Jr. And Steve ‘Blocker’ Roach not only reckons one of the modern game’s most maligned forwards is ready for State of Origin but declared: “I’d like to have him in my team.”

It comes after Pangai Jr copped huge criticism for his brain snaps in the Bulldogs’ disappointing final trial loss to Cronulla. The big forward was put on report twice during the match and also got a spell in the sin bin, while he was lucky to escape a charge from the match review panel.

But rather than calling for him to curb his aggression, Roach reckons that is exactly what Pangai Jr needs to keep if he is going to take his career to the next level this year.

And the former Balmain and NSW tough guy did not hesitate when asked if Pangai could push his way into the Blues team this year.

“I do (think he is ready for Origin),” Roach said. “They were talking about him two years ago. But the best bloke to sit down and talk to him is Phil Gould (Bulldogs general manager of football).

“He played with a lot of blokes that sailed close to the wind. But I wouldn’t like to see him lose his aggressiveness.

Just use it in a different way.

“All the do-gooders in the game now say, ‘You can’t do this, you can’t do that’.

“But I want aggressive blokes in my side.”

Roach said he’d like to see the Bulldogs move Pangai Jr into the middle instead of playing him on the edge. And he even pointed out he’d sit Pangai Jr down to watch game tapes of Roosters veteran enforcer Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and Penrith’s hard man James Fisher-Harris go about their trade.

“You need blokes that live on the edge,” Roach said. “Hargreaves has learned to live on the edge.

“Look at Fisher-Harris and how he plays. If he doesn’t live on the edge he isn’t doing what he is supposed to do. “He is an intimidator.

“So what I would do is sit down with my teammates and my coach and say, ‘what do you guys actually want from me?’ The poor bloke is at the stage now where we are all talking about him because of the way he goes at it.

“But he has got to intimidate the opposition.”

Roach was no choirboy in his day, although he reckons he was sinbinned more times than sent off.

One of his most famous incidents came when he patted referee Eddie Ward on the head after he was dismissed while his brawl with Les Davidson was legendary.

Roach says in the heat of battle it is easy to lose your head for just that split second.

He said: “It is easy to say that (play with more discipline), but when you get fired up … I don’t want lovely blokes in my team. I like blokes who get fired up. You don’t want lovely blokes.

“I’m not saying he has done the right thing (on Monday night) but I am a big fan. I know he has to curb it and I agree with all that sort of stuff. But you’ve got to stay aggressive.”

couldn’t see this posted anywhere, probably a defence liability out wide and a penalty liability in the middle, but a middle every day of the week for mine

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
He wants to punch on already, going to be a Bulldog enforcer.
Whats his eligibility status for international rep?

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
People make fun of blocker but he's got more footy smarts then most of fox league combined, I'd rather listen to his commentary over the rest of them.

If TPJ can keep his energy in check and within the rules he has potential to be damaging and the spark we just need.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
People make fun of blocker but he's got more footy smarts then most of fox league combined, I'd rather listen to his commentary over the rest of them.

If TPJ can keep his energy in check and within the rules he has potential to be damaging and the spark we just need.
Blocker was a prop that all props looked up to. He is right about one thing, TPJ is a prop. He has a great offload and he is tough. But he needs to channel his agro into his charges onto the ball and his starch in defence.

All that other crap in his game needs to go. Be a leader not poser.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Blocker was a prop that all props looked up to. He is right about one thing, TPJ is a prop. He has a great offload and he is tough. But he needs to channel his agro into his charges onto the ball and his starch in defence.

All that other crap in his game needs to go. Be a leader not poser.
myself and a few other have said from day 1 he is a middle and that is where he is best. His go forward and off loads are suited to the middle with the hooker/half and dufty hanging off him.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
myself and a few other have said from day 1 he is a middle and that is where he is best. His go forward and off loads are suited to the middle with the hooker/half and dufty hanging off him.
Same here. I also want to see someone like him that Thomo can shadow and do what he did in England.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Everyone can see that TPJ should be playing in the middle except Baz, go figure.
im sure he know that but we lack a strike edge, hence why we bought Kiku for next season. i guess he is hoping he can do a job there for this year or until RFM comes back into the team.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
im sure he know that but we lack a strike edge, hence why we bought Kiku for next season. i guess he is hoping he can do a job there for this year or until RFM comes back into the team.
I think there's a lot riding on when RFM comes back. I hope when he comes back he is able to recapture some of his best form. He is an exciting backrower and things happen around him. Just been extremely unlucky with injuries.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think there's a lot riding on when RFM comes back. I hope when he comes back he is able to recapture some of his best form. He is an exciting backrower and things happen around him. Just been extremely unlucky with injuries.
RFM imo is a class back rower and runs a great line. Enables TPJ to be on rotation with vaughn, thommo and jacko.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'll tell you what was exciting, watching that Sharks young front-rower run of the back fence time and time again. Every time he ran that ball it rocked our defenders. He is an absolute beast and Trent Barrett and co should be showing videos of Franklin Pele to our forwards.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
But he needs to channel his agro into his charges onto the ball and his starch in defence.
Play him in the middle and he's going to be too busy to become out of control agro.

The busier he is the more opportunities he has to release his frustration in small amounts rather than a big pent up explosion.

And then we've also got Vaughan in the front row and imo a very good forward pack, so TPJ is not going to try to inspire the team with a big hit that could go wrong because every one else is pulling their weight