News Bizarre run of NRL signings leaves Bulldogs fans bemused

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I personally struggled to read it to the end. Not sure if there's another Alan on here that you're referring to, but I've been in a "judge our recruits on how they play next year" kinda crusade.
Maybe you also noticed that three paragraphs are repeated in this article.
Was that an error in copying, or did News actually put it out that way?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I understand your frustration, but let's leave it to the people the club has contracted.

They've told us, time and again, that it will take time - and that there will be more pain before it improves.
No pain, no gain.
Mr Chris.
The question is, do we trust them or sceptically think they are trying to buy time?
I am also curious what is with the utility signings.
Is it part of a new style of play, shape shifting, nimble game? Or is it desperation of some sort?
The forwards looks really bad.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wonder whether people realize that a “utility” isn’t born a utility.
they’re just a player that’s good enough to play multiple positions on a team thats good enough that they don't have a starting spot for them.
If you’re at the bottom of the table, the top teams utilities are still better than most of your starters.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mr Chris.
The question is, do we trust them or sceptically think they are trying to buy time?
I am also curious what is with the utility signings.
Is it part of a new style of play, shape shifting, nimble game? Or is it desperation of some sort?
The forwards looks really bad.
My opinion, only. I think that they are looking for solid workers who won't give up, and that the players they'd like to sign are not available for 2024.
Players like Haas and Tino were never going to leave their clubs, so we are forced to sit tight and wait for someone who is prepared to leave.

The NRL edict that clubs must spend 95% of their cap forces us to sign utilities on short term contracts until the right players are available.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah Gus' goal looks to be winning NSW cup. I thought we had a stacked NSW cup team this year and we really feel off a cliff towards the end of the season tho.
so who should we be signing....there's no quality available...this is the current market

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think we need to convince some solid props to break contract
This should be the priority now.
everywhere else on the field, we’re solid enough, but the middle is a horror show atm.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I think we need to convince some solid props to break contract
We need to them look at who has too many forwards (if anyone exists) and more importantly, who has salary cap concerns.
I’d be looking at Tom burgess and Hazelton, whom I have read on the kennel has a family link to Gould

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
they’re just a player that’s good enough to play multiple positions on a team thats good enough that they don't have a starting spot for them.
If you’re at the bottom of the table, the top teams utilities are still better than most of your starters.
Yeah but if they're still worse than the top teams starters then it doesn't help us climb too far up the ladder

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What was the name of that front rower from the storm that did a pre season here this year but played in Q Cup? Wasn’t he signed to top 30 for 2024?

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate the ball boys at the panthers are better than most of our starters

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
WTF? Maybe Buzz is sick of writing articles under his own moniker so has resorted to this. What the author of this wonderful article has conveniently overlooked is that unless a whole swag of superstars want out of their clubs there is virtually nothing on offer to sign in the elite class. Additionally thanks to the NRL edict of being compelled to spend 95% of the cap, bargain basement utilities are the way considering all that is on offer.

Look we are a long way from being any kind of force in the game so we will have to be content for the foreseeable future to potter along and wait our time to get some higher profile top shelf guys who specialize in their positions.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We need to them look at who has too many forwards (if anyone exists) and more importantly, who has salary cap concerns.
I’d be looking at Tom burgess and Hazelton, whom I have read on the kennel has a family link to Gould
Hazelton is friends with Gus' son.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
so who should we be signing....there's no quality available...this is the current market
Yep which is why you don't wait until the end of the year to recruit.