Beyond the Coach

Do you agree that the NRL has lost the plot?

• Yes

Votes: 22 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
shit im not sure now
Ha. I can't be bothered checking but it would've been 2011 when it was negotiated and I think Gallop would've been there then. I have a vague recollection of him carrying on about it at one point.

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's be clear, this is the worst performing Berries or Doggies team I think I have seen in 50 years. I only say that because I didn't see any more than 50 years ago. Given that last weekend was pretty much a full strength side with the return of players from State of Origin, to lose by that margin shows how bad the performance was. A lot of focus has been on the coaching staff for obvious reasons. But I think it goes beyond that. I recently did one of those surveys from the NRL on behalf of the Bulldogs. It asked me to rate half time entertainment, the cheer girls, how great I thought the T-shirt gun was, the ground announcers, the quality of the facilities, food prices ... in short anything except the actual football. And there was nowhere for other comments, just a text box at the end in 25 words or less to say how great the NRL is. No interest in when fans or players might want the games played. No interest in the quality of refereeing. No interest in whether the video referee should be axed (they won't because of the advertising dollars). No interest in rule changes, or enforcing the existing rules. In short, the football is secondary. I think the players must feel that. I think the coaching staff probably feel that. I know as a long term follower of the sport that I feel that. So long as the focus within the club and league is on the periphery and not on the main game, i.e. the game, then we will continue to see sub-par performances. (end soapbox)
Where were you in 2008?

Minion

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The dominant parts of the game have become wrestling and at times touch footy

The middle ground between these 2 is what the game used to be.

But what we have for a while now is rule changes trying to artificially speed up the game like for eg 20m zero restarts for knockons ingoal /missed field goals etc etc, and the reduction of interchange has meant once you lose momentum and possesion you are at a bigger disadvantage than you would be in years gone by.

Furthermore the games are not officiated consistently. Their are teams that are allowed to really spoil the ruck and are not penalised for it, while in other games its constant tunnel ball that isnt penalised..

All this said if the Dogs were winning I would be happy
The wrestling is still dominated by Cameron Smith, the same as it has always been.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What other sport changes the fundamental rules of the game? They can't even officiate a correct the ball correctly, the foot doesn't touch the ball these days. So if they can't get that fundamental right the NRLol has no hope.

Recently it has been walking off the mark which they don't enforce. Players are pinching 5m in the play the ball. To sum up the ruck is a joke in nrl.

Status
Not open for further replies.