Best Coaches Are the Best Recruiters

Status
Not open for further replies.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Regardless of whos our coach next year the roster still has a few big gaps to fill currently..

Hooker & Halfback especially

One of Jack Gibsons famous quotes were that the best coaches were the best recruiters & thats an area our club was let down the last 5 years..

Out of the NRL coaches Bellamy & Bennett have proven themselves over time .. all the recent premiership winning coaches are probably also very good coaches (still up for debate), but they managed to assemble a very good roster in their premiership year..

Last 4 premiership winning coaches

Flanagan - added Barba Ennis Maloney within 1-2years of winning comp

Green - lucky GF win. Tied it in the final second & won in Golden Pt off a knock on.. but still brang in Coote & Granville in his premiership winning year & had a top halfback 5/8 and great forwards in the squad

Madge - Built towards a premiership after getting them up there in 2012/13. Burgess Bros and Inglis all firing. Crowe had a big part in recruiting

Robinson - SBW Maloney Jennings Odonnell all came in 2013 the year they won. They can Thank Politis as much as Robinson.

Malla

Reaction score
These days its more about the best coaches having the best recruiters and best CEO's working for them.

Robinson described a situation on NRL on Fox this week where he and Politis would talk about players he wanted at the Roosters or what he thought about Politis bringing in certain players - I find it hard to believe the Dogs are anywhere near that level of engagement.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
True. The best coaches also now how to identify and handle young talent from within the club and from other clubs. Something Hasler was an abject failure at with his blinding loyalty to underperformed players, reserve graders and journeyman.

If someone like Pay were to come on board, hopefully his success working with younger players will shine through at Canterbury.

If you look at Bellamy, he most often recruits rejects and turns them into first graders. But the storm, roosters and broncos junior systems are second to none which is how they manage to stay so successful with key signings sprinkled on top. Whether they're cheating the cap or not, we need to get that sort of set up back at the club and get a new batch of exciting prospects coming through.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
True. The best coaches also now how to identify and handle young talent from within the club and from other clubs. Something Hasler was an abject failure at with his blinding loyalty to underperformed players, reserve graders and journeyman.

If someone like Pay were to come on board, hopefully his success working with younger players will shine through at Canterbury.

If you look at Bellamy, he most often recruits rejects and turns them into first graders. But the storm, roosters and broncos junior systems are second to none which is how they manage to stay so successful with key signings sprinkled on top. Whether they're cheating the cap or not, we need to get that sort of set up back at the club and get a new batch of exciting prospects coming through.
We need to get ruthless when it comes to recruitment of NRL and Junior talent

We need the best scouts out there

Weve dropped the ball for many years.. How we dont have a halfback & didnt properly replace Barba at fullback is just not good enough..

That's the reason we havnt looked to being close to winning a thing

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Hasler couldnt recruit anyone at all... during his tenure all he got was Rona... All the rest were brothers or mates of players, and or his Manly buddies. Cant wait to have a new coach who will try snare a big fish :grinning:

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hasler couldnt recruit anyone at all... during his tenure all he got was Rona... All the rest were brothers or mates of players, and or his Manly buddies. Cant wait to have a new coach who will try snare a big fish :grinning:
Hopefully if we get pay he will be able to recruit a few good youngsters from his blues sides

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree.... cleal did a great job! Look at the great players he recruited below!

Apologies if I missed anyone!

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
dont agree,

good coaches recruit fringe first graders and turn them into super stars like bellamy

unlike Des

who recruited talented juniors like Mbye and Lichaa and turned them into over paid.duds.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
dont agree,

good coaches recruit fringe first graders and turn them into super stars like bellamy

unlike Des

who recruited talented juniors like Mbye and Lichaa and turned them into over paid.duds.
We used to be so good at doing just that! If players left their performance would suffer! Now it's the other way around! I hope this changes with the people coming into the club!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I just think it's a massive package deal. Everyone from the front office through to the players need to be doing their job's. That will breed success and therefor players on the outside will want to join that club as they will know that they are building towards something and want to be a part of that. It's feels like it's been a long time now since the dogs have been like this.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score

One of the reasons the Roosters have good juniors because they are one of the few clubs who have open trials, I can't remember if its 16's or 18's but anyone can turn up register and play a trial. I mean it's obviously worked cause they have been competitive for a few years now

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
dont agree,

unlike Des

Good point.. I heard Graham say Des has produced outstanding footballers like Jackson and Klemmer and I almost fell for it.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good point.. I heard Graham say Des has produced outstanding footballers like Jackson and Klemmer and I almost fell for it.

wonder why he didnt mention Mbye, Lichaa and Reynolds.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Bennet is not a good recruiter.

Who did he recruit at Dragons and Knights? Darius Boyd?

At Brisbane he's got monopoly on a massive talent pool.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
These days its more about the best coaches having the best recruiters and best CEO's working for them.

Robinson described a situation on NRL on Fox this week where he and Politis would talk about players he wanted at the Roosters or what he thought about Politis bringing in certain players - I find it hard to believe the Dogs are anywhere near that level of engagement.
Nor do we have anywhere near the amount of brown paper bags. Their current roster has been over the cap for 4 years now.

dont agree,

unlike Des

Absolutely. Not only does Bellamy have a good eye recruiting young players with potential ( Smith, slater, Inglis , Munster , Folau and many more ) but he has this knack of turning an average player into a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.