Ben Cummins is the ref again for our game.....

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe, but personally I'd prefer any of the refs over G. Sutton or Cummins. They all have issues, but those two are consistently the worst.

We need Harragon back, go watch the Dogs v Eels 1998 game, so free flowing, true entertainment.
I would add C.Sutton to his brother and Cummins. The three (NRL) stooges.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Interesting that mention Harrigan because the fans had to same reaction to him as they do with Sutton and Cummins today. There was a massive blow up when we got him for 3 straight finals in 2003.
There was a period in the early to mid 90’s when our win percentage under Harrigan was just over 30%. It improved later.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It worked for them when they got the Daily Telegraph to publish a full page story outlining the win/loss stats under Cummins officiating.

They haven't lost many since that day and Even won a GF with the dubious "6 Again Call".

(Can someone please find the stats on our Gerrard Sutton officiated games?)
One win from the last 20 since 2016 round 1. Not sure what it was before that.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I would add C.Sutton to his brother and Cummins. The three (NRL) stooges.
At this stage I would still prefer C. Sutton over the other two. I'm not yet so convinced about erroneous aspects of his reffing as with the other two. All refs have issues, but the endemic issues with the approach of G. Sutton and Cummins seem more pervasive. My observations are based on watching them ref a lot of games, Bulldogs games being a small fraction of the total.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
IMO, the best Ref in the most recent era was without doubt Matt Checcin.

There is a reason he aint reffing anymore & it has to do with being bullied out by the main group of ref's.

Maybe they didn't like him because he showed no bias!!!

Maybe it was because he wasn't on the take!!!
Maybe also because he sin binned the Golden Boy, Cameron Smith at. shark Park in 2017. Never reffed an origin game or Grand Final after that, and he was the incumbent of both at that time. Who was head of refs at that time? Hello Bernard Sutton.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There was a period in the early to mid 90’s when our win percentage under Harrigan was just over 30%. It improved later.
The 1998 game comes from the period of time when he was probably at his best as a ref. The thing about it is when you watch the game you can see that there is stuff that he misses, but it was fairly equal between the teams, because he was willing to let most stuff go. It made the game flow, it was a great spectacle for the fans. The slowmo replays and the bunker and refs blowing 6 again mean that we will never see games like that again, ever. We should probably include Strom introducing a lot wrestling in the ruck to the reasons along with the specific officiating stuff.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
IMO, the best Ref in the most recent era was without doubt Matt Checcin.

There is a reason he aint reffing anymore & it has to do with being bullied out by the main group of ref's.

Maybe they didn't like him because he showed no bias!!!

Maybe it was because he wasn't on the take!!!
Maybe also because he sin binned the Golden Boy, Cameron Smith at. shark Park in 2017. Never reffed an origin game or Grand Final after that, and he was the incumbent of both at that time. Who was head of refs at that time? Hello Bernard Sutton.
The other bloke for the list of "frozen out" by the refs boys club is Badge. Those two probably the refs with the least issues from the 2010s.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The other bloke for the list of "frozen out" by the refs boys club is Badge. Those two probably the refs with the least issues from the 2010s.
I also though the Badge was pretty fair. No doubt he was out of favour with those who make the decisions,

My pick for the best of the current bunch is Grant Atkins, son of 1981 Parramatta Grand Final winger Graeme Atkins. We rarely seem to get him though.

I also like Adam Gee’s style of refereeing.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The comments on this article on Facebook are absolutely scathing on Annesley. Seems like very supporter base, bar Roosters and Penrith, reckon the refs and bunker are either inept or biased against lesser teams and its affecting results.

Just watched Annesley’s weekly briefing and it proved to me, that his time in politics has shown him how to sweep issues under the carpet. He has lost touch with reality, and should step aside.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The human microscope does a good job, but we gotta be good to take advantage of it

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
CUMFACE is out!!!

I repeat….. CUMFACE will NOT referee the Dogs v Broncos game this Friday night!!!!

You bloody ripper!!!!

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peter Gough