BBQ Carnivore - Thread

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I usually use foil but take it off the last hour to crisp a bit. Never used paper bit intrigued :tearsofjoy:
Brother. I use to use foil as well. Butchers paper is game changer. You can buy a long roll of butchers paper at Bunnings for a few bucks in the BBQ area. Highly recommend.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Beef short ribs are amazing. Nice bark and butchers paper! Well done. Good to see, good job.
Gave using a 50/50 vegemite and mustard binder with a Texan rub. Thought it was the most amazing thing ever. Family complained their asses off it was too beefy. Umami overload.

But yeah - everyone wanks over brisket but nothing beats top draw beef short ribs.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Brother. I use to use foil as well. Butchers paper is game changer. You can buy a long roll of butchers paper at Bunnings for a few bucks in the BBQ area. Highly recommend.
Can we start the argument now about whether you have the ends of the paper up or down? :tearsofjoy:

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Will give it a go next week bro cheers.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The whole point of wrapping bbq is to cook it faster. Usually meat will hit a temp where it seems it won't progress for hours (called the stall). If I remember correctly it happens because because the connective tissues and fats start to melt down cooling the meat. You wrap to cut the stall down to an hour instead of 5 or 6

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Inspired me - MB4+ ribs on now. 3 pigs beef rub on mustard. Cider/hot sauce hourly spritz.
Good stuff mate.
Beef ribs are always a winner mate.
Sounds like you got somthing really good on the go.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Good stuff mate.
Beef ribs are always a winner mate.
Sounds like you got somthing really good on the go.
Wrapped after 5 hours - stall at 172F and still there. The barrel is rolling along at 245-250.

Planning a warm roast tomato, onion and feta salad as a side with oregano spuds.

And the missus is already whinging about too much smoke (which means I'm on point :tearsofjoy: )

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Wrapped after 5 hours - stall at 172F and still there. The barrel is rolling along at 245-250.

Planning a warm roast tomato, onion and feta salad as a side with oregano spuds.

And the missus is already whinging about too much smoke (which means I'm on point :tearsofjoy: )
Tell you what, it's a great day for it
Cool sunny days are the best

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Gave using a 50/50 vegemite and mustard binder with a Texan rub. Thought it was the most amazing thing ever. Family complained their asses off it was too beefy. Umami overload.

But yeah - everyone wanks over brisket but nothing beats top draw beef short ribs.
Two of the best tips I ever received while learning to cook:

- if you're making a tomato based sauce, always use anchovy oil

- if you're making any braised meat dish, add Vegemite

Lamb shanks with Vegemite in the sauce is a game changer.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score

yeah - wrong thread but do a Guinness based stew from time to time. Bit of vegemite is next level.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

100% agree with both

But another tip, when making Marinara sauce, make sure you add extra seafood.